How long would it take to walk from one end of Malta to the other?

How long would it take to walk from one end of Malta to the other? From its longest point?

AnnieMe wrote:

How long would it take to walk from one end of Malta to the other? From its longest point?

Why?

I like to walk, would be interesting to see how far I could get.

A pretty long time since Malta is incredibly built up. You have to walk in near-circles to get anywhere lol.

I agree that Malta is really built up - after all, if I remember correctly, it is the most densely populated country in the EU.

But there are some nice areas for walks in the east: for example from Rabat to Mgarr and then down to Gnejna Bay and along the coast to Tuffieha Bay, or around Dingli.
From Selmun Palace (near Mellieha) you can find some nice walks down to the coast, too. But that's more like an afternoon walk :)

A friend of mine, who was on holiday in Malta some years ago, told me she did some nice walks from Marsaskala. I've only explored the south by car so far, but it seemed nice for walks, too; quite green and more rural than the areas in the centre.

Generally, though, I think Gozo is much nicer for walks than Malta.

Hi!
I have calculated it using google map
Have a look!

https://www.google.it/maps/dir/Triq+Il- … 237443!3e2

Don't know how much reliable could be

As an active  member of the Ramblers Association I would advise you not to walk on the direct route you googled. It would not be very nice to walk through built-up areas and along main roads.

You would have several options walking near or along the west or east coast. For example:

Marsaxlokk - Marsascala - Xghajra-Kalkara -Birgu - Marsa - Pieta- Msida-Sliema- St. Julians- Pembroke- Bahar ic-Caghac - Salina - St. Pauls Bay -Xemxija- Manikata - Majistral Park- Pop Eye's Village - Cirkewwa.

This route would probably take you two days but is very scenic in many parts.

Or you can walk the west coast :

Marsaxlokk - Hal Far - Zurrieq-Hagar Qim - Fawwara-Dingli-Kuncizzjoni-Form ir-Rih-Gnejna-Ghajn Tuffieha- Majistral Park - Cirkewwa. Very Nice ( apart from Hal Far)

Do it in two days too !

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you for all your replies, I never anticipated so many responses.I have listened to them all and I'm sure they will help. Although we plan to move to Malta, I have never actually visited so I don't understand how built up it is yet. I am visiting next week so then I will experience what you all mean.

Thank you for the google map. This made me smile! Thank you for the effort you put into this, it's much appreciated. I will take a look now! :)

All the best

AnnieMe wrote:

How well do you know Malta?

U welcome Annie! i'm like you curious about strange stuffs!

How long ? Oh for goodness sake I know it's a small island, unless your a Health person I would do this in stages , maybe a good few years

agree with you. there people who walk for much more!! (santiago de compostella for example)

there is a walk from gozo to malta and then accross malta on 24th january called the 2 islands challenge its 45 km and expected to take all day

Problem with Malta and Gozo is that there aren't any difficult walks available really. We walk about 10 km a day and it was a challenge to do so in Gozo because most walks are like 2-4 km strolls (return). It gets repetitive quickly (if you're an active person ofc - otherwise you'll be fine).

We would do a daily cliff-climb-hike-walk thingy from San Blas to Ramla (beach to beach following the coastline). It's a bit more challenging than other walks in Gozo. Also worth doing a walk from Xlendi to Azure Window (climb up the big cliff in Xlendi bay and follow along the cliff edge to Azure Window/Fungus Rock).

You really have to just "go for it" lol. Otherwise it's very easy to kind of settle into a sedentary lifestyle when in Malta. There's not much of a sports culture there. Quite the opposite. Not that it's a bad thing though - to each his own.

be careful if you're walking thru, they drive like they're playing Gran Theft Auto

That depends -
On roads, or cross-country?

Both.

It all depends on how fast you walk! ;)

And how good you are at dodging