Gym in Malta

Hi everyone,

Is it easy to find gymŽs in Malta?

Is there any "big brands" like Healthcity, etc..?

if so, where? in the big cities like Sliema or Valletta?

Thank you,

Aires.

Hi Aires,

welcome to the forum.

All major hotels have gym facilities and there are many other gyms all over the island. Here in Sliema I know several large ones but I would not like to recommend a certain one as I have no personal experience. As a member of the Ramblers of Malta I walk a lot -)))

And our Expat group meets once a week in St. Julians. If you are interested send me your e-mail through private message.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky!

So i guess i wont have any issues finding a gym there :)

If anyone knows this, is it expensive the monthly fee in average?

About the meeting, i will join you guys once im there!

Cheers,

Aires.

Hiya Aires,

There is a 24hr Gym in Ta Qali and can be reached on www.taqaligym.com

Also I know that the Gym in the Westin is very good.

Prices Vary from €40.00 a month down to €20.00 a month but that depends again on the gym and the timescale you sign up for

Enjoy

Julian

Niceeeeeeee ;)

I thought they were not so many and the good ones more expensive so.. i think iŽll adapt just fine !

Thanks guys

Cheers,

Aires.

I've been to two of the most expensive, Hilton and Meridian and can tell you they are worth the money. Meridian is about €70 a month, Hilton is €60 ish. Meridian has a lovely Spa which makes the price worthwile if you'd use that. The Hilton has a huge pool if thats your sort of thing. Worth doing a bit of a tour around when you get here to be fair. I've heard the Great Western is nice as well. Good luck!

Hi

Thanks hyperlogic18!

Now weŽre talking! :)

Im glad that finding a gym is not so difficult in Malta, iŽll be join one of those then..

Cheers

Aires.

What about a nice gym in the South of the island ? Without loud music ? Or a good Pilates or Yoga place ? I haven't been able to find it so far, so any recommendation will be appreciated! Tks.

hyperlogic18 wrote:

I've been to two of the most expensive, Hilton and Meridian and can tell you they are worth the money. Meridian is about €70 a month, Hilton is €60 ish. Meridian has a lovely Spa which makes the price worthwile if you'd use that. The Hilton has a huge pool if thats your sort of thing. Worth doing a bit of a tour around when you get here to be fair. I've heard the Great Western is nice as well. Good luck!

The Hilton one looks good. I only found this picture:
http://m.travelpn.com/images/st_julians … ub_G_1.jpg

Meridian I saw this one:
http://www.lemeridienmalta.com/assets/u … ltagym.jpg

Do any of them have good professional trainers (do not confuse with nice trainers)? Any of them has individual facilities (eg. shower cubicles) in the changing rooms?

I found this article about gyms in the Sliema/St.Julians area:
http://www.howtomalta.com/2013/01/how-t … malta.html

Any other recommendation? I do not care too much about the price if it's really worth it (pool and spa are not a priority for me).

I recommend the Westin gym in St Julians. Reasonable prices for a 5-star hotel and long opening hours. http://www.westinmalta.com/en/price-list

lambada wrote:

I recommend the Westin gym in St Julians. Reasonable prices for a 5-star hotel and long opening hours. http://www.westinmalta.com/en/price-list

I found this video about that gym, in case someone is interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … XmA#t=178s

In my case I am more interested in the better one, than in the best quality-price ratio.

Lusco wrote:

In my case I am more interested in the better one, than in the best quality-price ratio.

The best equipped gym is probably Cynergi but personally I don't like the physical environment ... a bit too "industrial". Best to go and see it for yourself though.

lambada wrote:
Lusco wrote:

The best equipped gym is probably Cynergi but personally I don't like the physical environment ... a bit too "industrial". Best to go and see it for yourself though.

From what I've seen cynergi looks more as a real gym and quite big one. I expect more machines (as you said), better trainers, etc. Anyway I would probably feel better in an up-market one (Hilton, etc.), since they will be probably less busy during the summer. Do you know if the changing rooms of any of those gyms have any individual facilities (eg. shower cubicles instead of a communal shower)?

Yes, Cynergi is a big gym but also a busy one. Mind you, most gyms are busy between 5pm and 8pm on weekdays.

Hilton and Le Meridien are possibly more "upmarket" than Cynergi but not necessarily better equipped.

The Westin gym has shower cubicles with opaque glass doors but they are not in individual rooms i.e. once you step out of the shower you find yourself in the changing room.

Westin and Cynergi memberships include 3 and 2 hours of free parking (per session) respectively in case that makes a difference to you.

lambada wrote:

The Westin gym has shower cubicles with opaque glass doors but they are not in individual rooms i.e. once you step out of the shower you find yourself in the changing room.

So I guess cynergi has communal showers?

I also have found this one (InterContinental Malta):
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DeOrUlIt_nQ/S … 5.+gym.JPGhttp://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/ … -malta.jpghttp://tourop.travelberry.net/data/acco … 134822.JPGhttp://img1.superbreak.net/content/imag … _16303.JPGhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … x6GA#t=71s (video)

"Health & Fitness Club with over 70 cardiovascular facilities, a free-weights room, aerobics studio, 2 squash courts, sauna, steam rooms and indoor swimming pool and a spa."

I don't know about Cynergi as I never saw their showers. The gyms in St Julians are all within walking distance of each other and you can easily check them all out in a couple of hours.

djinn wrote:

What about a nice gym in the South of the island ? Without loud music ? Or a good Pilates or Yoga place ? I haven't been able to find it so far, so any recommendation will be appreciated! Tks.

There are some of them, e.g. Inspire in Marsaskala has a heated indoor pool, a ir sauna, a small fitness center and a room for group courses (also with pilates, yoga, aerobics, zumba) - they do not have many machines there, but it's only 20,- a month.
They also offer massage, physio therapy etc. for extra charge.

In Zejtun the Body Medics opened the new gym last Tuesday (and closed the smaller studio in Marsaskala).

There is also a gym in Cottonera Sports Complex.

Ta Qali gym starts @ €40 pm ,has no a/c,the changing rooms are freezing & it's unhygienic no soap/dryer in toilet.

Thank you for the feedback. Inspire gym had terribly loud music when I visited it, which made me decide against it.Their physio is very good, though, and nice.
Same problem at the Cottonera complex. I like music in the background, but the level must be reasonable.
I'll check the Zeitun one, which I do not know.

Yeah....did you find one in the south of the island? I also am living in the south and need to find somehting to do close to my house....

Hello!
I found a gym today above Tigne Point shopping centre.
They have an offer at the moment: 3 months for 60 euros!
It sounds like a good deal to me! It is called FITNESS POINT.
Hope this helps!
Good luck,
Silvia

I was a member with Cynergi gym in St Julian's last year. Not joining again only because I'm too busy to go, I thought it was very clean and has professional staff,( there was always at least one trainer on duty when i went)and modern equipment. The closest you will get to something that looks like a 'real gym' such as healthcity or canons in malta.... With full membership I could use the intercontinental's indoor pool and sauna and Turkish baths. The main changing rooms are communal, the showers are single cubicles with a shower curtain. There are nicer showers by the sauna which have doors.I liked Cynergi, especially the layout and number of cardio machines.  But too expensive if you just want to go on a treadmill for 20 mins after work.

Coral :)

mxpman: sorry, no, I stopped looking. If you're young, you might not mind the sound level at Inspire or Cottonera. :)

I met someone a few weeks ago who said a really good one was going to open soon in Ta'xbiex. My guess would be, in the new buildings near Mamma Mia? But only a guess.

ahahaha yeah it's ok for me! but if they make courses are they in maltese? i hate that....they should speak always english in malta....

I don't agree. Maltese is their language. We are lucky that english is widely spoken. And you are lucky, because they very often understand italian and speak a little (everyone watches italian TV here).

Do let me know if you hear more of the one in Ta' Xbiex..

As for decent pilates I just started with Basia in the Fortina, Tigne and she seems to be quite good. I have no real reference for judgement though.

hmmmm but malta advertises itself as an english speaking country, they should stop doing that no? i agree that if malta was known as a maltese speaking country - you are 100% right!

anyway...i just hope that i can follow the course! :)

Where is Malta advertising itself as an English speaking country?

I used Preluna gym for a couple of years.  It has a nice little pool, a gym with all the essentials, and decent little sauna.  The changing rooms are not so good.  Price is inexpensive and location is good, right next to Preluna Hotel and opposite to Qui Si Sana.  I recommend it. 

Westin and Meridien and Hilton are more up market. 

We were also members of Cynergi.  Also great.  Better than Preluna.  But best option is to pay a bit more for more serene and clean environments in Westin, Meridien and Hilton I think. 

Choose whatever is close.  If its not close, or on the way to/from work, you probably won't use it much.  We have some good choices for good gyms in Malta.

pgl wrote:

Where is Malta advertising itself as an English speaking country?

Quite agree Malta does not advertise being an English speaking country at all!!! It is stated English is their second language and why should they always speak English!!!! Think that's actually cheeky saying that when they are in their own country speaking their own language! Christ I'm English but wish everyone would stop trying to change Malta!

"The official languages of Malta are Maltese and English"

but then it also says "Italian is also widely spoken"

"English, which is also an official language, is widely and fluently spoken and is the language of international business"

http://www.visitmalta.com/en/language

does that not constitute advertising?

but quite agree that nobody should expect our hosts to speak anything other than Maltese.

But back on topic - gyms there area good few about - but as has been said many hotels offer facilities but maybe not upot the standard of a dedicated gym - but I suppose it depends what you want. good luck in finding one -hope it works out LOL - see what i did there.

Hey,

This place is not really a gym (in traditional sense), but we offer Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes and Muay Thai classes.
If want to meet new people and get fit at the same time bjj is a good choice!

The best all round gym I have accessed is the YUE in Naxxar.
Gym, CV, pools, kids classes and great food

Hi there! Not totally on topic, but somehow related and too small of a question to start a new topic: Are there any facilities in Malta to train outdoors for free?  Like exercise equipments in parks or such?

There is one st Siggiewi and on the waterfront in Sliema near Tigne point. No doubt others

Andreas O. wrote:

Hi there! Not totally on topic, but somehow related and too small of a question to start a new topic: Are there any facilities in Malta to train outdoors for free?  Like exercise equipments in parks or such?

There's some equipment in most modern play areas - usually, in the bigger areas at least, you'll find facilities for children of different ages (slides, swings...) as well as exercise equipment (for sit ups, stretching, crossfit...) for adults - though they're often used by kids as well

Outdoor equipment just along from the Malta aquarium in Qawra and they have a sea view! :)

Dents wrote:

The best all round gym I have accessed is the YUE in Naxxar.
Gym, CV, pools, kids classes and great food

This was probably written by a marketer.
I was a user of this facility for a year. Here is my review on YUE.
1) Food is not great. Just average quality food: fatty, oily, cheesy, and expensive. The atmosphere is nice though.

2) GYM is fine with good equipment and spacious, but smells with plastic, cleaning products and rubber, because they probably circulate the same air and don't bring fresh air in. It is common for many gyms. However, it is not healthy and they name their facility "healthy living".  The music in the gym is too load and on many occasions is unpleasant, it goes through the sound in your headphones.

3) The water in the pool is always foggy. Always. I was swimming almost every day for a year and the water was nearly clear only one day. It is actually dangerous to swim in the water which is lacking free chlorine, because this is what kills bacteria. Recommended PH in salt water pool is 7.4‐7.6 and their water is not higher than 6.8. So if you are brave and have great immune system, you can swim in this milky water...

You have replied to posts from two years ago, it would have been better to have started a new thread,
the person you referred to has not been active on here since then.