Warning ! Paceville is a No-Go - Zone if you care for your life

Hi all,

I have warned previously about the risks of visiting Paceville. The latest tops just about everything from the past - except the occasional murder that happens there:

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/court … fVH85fkosc

As there is absolutely no serious enforcement against drug and carrying weapons/knives in Paceville by the St. Julians police I recommend avoiding getting anywhere near Paceville after dark.

Cheers
Ricky

Drugs, alcohol, strip joints, prostitution and everything that goes with them will always do this.
Hardly a shock.

Ricky's suggestion seems like a very good one; more so when oral sex videos are taken in the street in that place - see you tube.

It appears that many more than the first reported numbers were affected by this , possibly, terrorist attack in Paceville. It appears that **** were not only non-present for quite some time but are also trying to cover up the severiety of this incident and the number of injured. Nurses were called in during the night to cope with the numbers.

And to top it all the Libyan terrorist shows his middle-finger when being arrested ! Now aren't they really nice !

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/ … 6736142044

And the first activity that most language schools offer to their often under-age students are visits to Paceville with free drinks !!

Cheers
Ricky

I'm less than sure about him being a terrorist - he sounds a lot more like a drunken yob out for a fight.

Ricky I have a lot of respect for you but come on  "terrorist attack " if he wasn't Libyan no -one would even mention that

Sources at Mater Dei hospital confirmed police reports that only six people were injured in yesterday's incident. 

The confirmation came after widespread rumours circulated on social media claimed that the actual figure was much higher, with some sections of the media quoting eyewitnesses who claimed to have seen 25 injured people.

Hospital sources told Times of Malta that five people were admitted to hospital in the immediate aftermath of the attack, while one person checked himself in some time later. Police also brought the aggressor in for treatment.

Claims that additional nurses had to be called in from home to deal with the situation were also false, the sources said.

Amidst claims that some media had deliberately misrepresented the scale of the attack, this newspaper also contacted the eyewitness who appears to have originated the claim that 25 people were injured.

The woman, who was with the injured Maltese man at the time of the attack, admitted that she had only seen three other injured people at the scene.

She also said she had not seen any additional injured people at the hospital and had begun spreading the figure of 25 after being told “by some nurses”.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … lle.584431

Hi Rob,

I was only quoting comments made on the various newspapers published in Malta.

But there have been terrorist attacks in other European countries with less victims than the actual unknown/unpublished numbers that occured in this attack in Malta.

My main point is though, and you are also minimizing this vicious attack, is the danger of going to Paceville. It is constantly downplayed for obvious reasons.

The middle-finger shown by this guy must have a meaning ! I take it that he considers his attack a success , whyelse would he signal 'victory' ?

Our main concern should be to spread the info that Paceville is not the safest place to spend an evening and that language schools should start warning their students and stop taking them there.

Cheers
Ricky

I'm not denying that paceville isn't an awful place to go or that the people their behave recklessly - I'm just not into perpetuating rumours

The truth is really bad enough and should be circulated !

Rumours don't make it much worse! than it is !

Cheers
Ricky

I disagree with the notion that Paceville is a dangerous place.

Sure, when compared to other locations in Malta, crimes like these are most likely to happen in PV. Compared to other European nightlife areas however, I would say that language school students who manage to stay out of trouble in their own countries' nightlife are highly unlikely to become victims in Malta, of all places.

This is obviously all based on my own experiences, but neither me nor my friends who go there on a regular basis have ever witnessed (and certainly not become victims of) life-threatening crimes, and none of them are afraid to visit PV again.

When I was still living in Germany, comparable attacks were far more frequent, even though I was living in a city with only about two thirds of the Maltese population, a relatively low crime rate in general, a substantial police presence all night and an anti violence strategy supported by both city officials and club/bar owners.

With is exactly what PV needs (the strategy, not the attacks ;) ) but even then, such attacks will be next to impossible to prevent. If somebody like that can't carry a knife anymore, they'll bring a screwdriver. If they can't carry a screwdriver, they'll buy a bottle of beer, break the bottle and use that instead.

ricky wrote:

The middle-finger shown by this guy must have a meaning ! I take it that he considers his attack a success , whyelse would he signal 'victory' ?

In this context the meaning is disrespect, contempt, possibly hatred, but certainly not "victory". As such, it does not imply any kind of "success". I guess you're confusing it with the gesture where you show the index finger as well.
If you go to a sports event and try to celebrate with the supporters of the victorious side while showing them the middle finger, it will be a memorable night to say the least. :)

Hi danex2,

you are right ! The finger is probably more out of  disrespect than victory although I'm not sure if that makes it any better ! And consider that the guy is sitting next to a police officer who let it happen.

I follow these kind of incidents and post to warn people and make them aware of the situation in Paceville. You seem to have been lucky in the past -))) Many others were not so lucky , including the young Dutch guy a few months ago who was found dead in the early hours.

Check previous posts:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102357

Two German youngsters were glad that I gave them a few tips regarding what to expect in Paceville with regards to Eastern European women in front of clubs. They experienced exactly what I had told them and were able to react accordingly. And that was on Saturday evening. THey left PV just 30 minutes before the Libyan went on his rampage.

I personally find it much safer to walk through the red light zone around the Frankfurt Hbf after midnight. But then you can't compare German towns to the very compact area of Paceville with a total lack of policing compared to German , UK or US hotspots.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

The truth is really bad enough and should be circulated !

Rumours don't make it much worse! than it is !

Cheers
Ricky

Actually, they do.

There is little argument about this attack being nasty, but lies and rumours create hatred against whole groups that are nothing to do with it.
It's gone from one bad criminal incident, lied its way to a mass stabbing that didn't happen, ending up as a terrorist attack.
As for the nasty little sod who carried out the stabbings, his finger display says a lot more about him than my comment could manage.

I can understand points of view.. Myself i was a doorman in the UK for around 7 years.. Worked some crazy places..pacevile is one place that can be crazy.. Now most party places are not so different.. Say blackpool. Brighton... Amsterdam.. Magaluf... To name a few... Exactly the same if not worse... Drugs and fighting.. Now PV i find isnt as bad.. Atmosphere says alot and over the years iv got good at tuneing in to it.. Yes always be careful but it will never stop..not in PV not in the world... Ul never stop drugs nore crime.  Only control it.... My opinion the door staff and police up there deserve better

Ricky, I have been following lots of your posts and think you give some excellent advice! AND I am absolutely not what you'd call a fan of nightlife and places like Paceville (I've never been the party and alcohol type, not even in my youth...) And I most definitely think what has happened there in PV is really bad! BUT I think such things can and will happen in any "party" area. I live in a medium-sized and relatively quiet city in Austria (Innsbruck), which is certainly not known for wild parties like Magaluf or other internationally known "hotspots" - BUT my office is just one street off one of the party miles, and I have witnessed violent situations between drunk partygoers on Friday and Saturday nights (not too late actually, around 11pm) where ambulances and police had to be called, I've heard of spiked drinks, I've heard of sexual assaults... What I'm trying to say is: certainly, PV is not so peaceful and particularly younger language students might be involved in nasty situations if they drink too much or aren't careful, BUT you get that everywhere... So all in all, as much as I appreciate your advice and in this case your warnings, I think you might be overreacting a bit. Cheers from a hopeful future-expat who - when living in Malta - won't be visiting PV for sure (I prefer better quality entertainment, or preferably spending the evening and night with my family :)

PV isn't a great place but its no worse than Bristol on A Friday Night or Saturday.  The issue I find is that PV is simply a disgusting place and way more dirty, seedy and plain nasty than it needs to be.  I have heard the arguments that its better that its somewhere on the Island than everywhere.. But the danger I see is that Malta is starting again that inexorable slide towards being the cheap boozy holiday destination of the typical unwanted tourists that spend no money locally except in the pubs and in one area.  This is where Malta went in the 70's and 80's and then desperately tried to get away from, as did Spain etc.

The thing I don't understand is how malta itself isn't just ashamed of some of the things its doing.. PV is really becoming like a poor pseudo red light district with wall to wall strip clubs.  In the daytime it looks run down and dirty.  Hardly a good advert for Malta.  Reminds me of how Soho used to be in London.  I really love this place and I find it so disappointing that people are turning a blind eye to places like PV.

As for racism etc.  This is going to be a growing problem as this is a small island and like it or not, as minorities grow, and unemployment rises etc etc there will always be people looking for scapegoats.  The fact the guy was Libyan shouldn't figure at all.. Plenty of westerners cause trouble in PV as do locals.  The main issue is that due to the conflict in Libya, Malta has seen rather a large influx of Libyans seeking a better life until Libya settles down.

P

Hi Ricky I have been in Canada for nearly a year now but will be returning to Malta the middle of November.  needless to say I was not aware of the crime in paceville.  Forewarned, I will not be going there on my return.  Thanks, Mary

PV in the daytime and early evening is absolutely fine.  And in non tourist season is relatively quiet in the week.  Lets not get too twisted up about the area.  There are some great restaurants there like water biscuit, Italian job  etc so don't miss out.

Just don't be there late at night or early hours of the morning.. just the same as almost any night life area in the world..

PV is for drunken lumpenproletariat teens and definitely not a refined sort of party-goers. Only for those under 30 as well :)

80s and 90s  was the best  days of my life in paceiville. Now its worse time.

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/ … 6736145264

Over 70 injured in Paceville including 13yr old girl

It seems that it is time to warn again about a visit to Paceville . This is the latest statement by the Police Commissioner:

Police Commissioner Michael Cassar, when discussing the PlusOne Club incident in Paceville, said that police are not responsible for the security of establishments, "however if they see a security problem they need to take action.

So, the way you can see this statement is , that the police do not care unless something happens ! Might be a bit late when young visitors to PV get killed.

Enforcement of law in Malta is a big joke -))) Lets all laugh ....

Cheers
Ricky

Well said