Information required Regarding To Brazilian Citizenship

Dear James,

Good Day,i have married in Brazil and i got permanent residency on the base of marriage with brazilian spouse.1 year has completed after when i received RNE Card from policia federal.

Now i want to apply brazilian citizenship,i came to know policia federal will make a visit in my home when i will apply citizenship.The actual problem is i am working in a company which is in Santa catarina and my wife is living with her mother in Brasilia DF due to some financial problems.

Now tell me what will be happen if i apply citizenship in santa catarina because i have job here and its not possible to leave this job,but i have explained in above that when policia federal will visit my home then they will be unable to see my wife,will my citizenship process be stoped?or what is the solution of my problem?

i need some more information,my friends told me now a days policia federal does not visit homes regarding to process of naturalization-citizenship.they said now law has changed and now there is no more visit to check your home.Moreover is it possible that i can apply citizenship in another state?but keep in mind i got married in santa catarina state SC.

Hello Rizwan,

It's impossible to say exactly what effect of living apart from your wife when you apply for naturalization. The distance between you, and the length of the physical separation will certainly raise eyebrows of the Federal Police. It may even have a negative impact on your permanency, since the Federal Police may begin an investigation to determine if the marriage was entered into for the sole purpose of the visa (i.e. marriage of convenience).

It is also worth remembering that naturalization is not guaranteed, it is always at the discretion of the country granting citizenship. You may end up wasting your time and money only to be denied citizenship because someone doesn't believe you are even married.

I would strongly recommend that you not apply for naturalization until such time as you and your wife are back residing under the same roof.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thanks James for guideline,but please tell me if i apply my citizenship then how much time required to
complete this process?.i came to know its very long process but i have no idea about it.
so please reply about it in details.

The process (start to finish) may take a year or more depending on the case.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

thanks james for these informations

Hey Brother! I married and staying with my wife here for 3 years, and I want to make the naturalization, but I don't have a proof of income, I went to the fedral police and they asking me for an income proof?? That's means that my Marriage papers not enough?! Do you have any adivce?

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Poster requested his post to be deleted

Yes ChiragKumar correct..They need a proof  .How you are manage your life and expense in brazil.what are you're source of income

If your wife is working and is filing her taxes on time, both of you can visit the Cartorio and make a declaration that you are hr financial responsibility.

Attach that along with her income documents for the last 3 to 6 months and you should be fine

how much does spouse need to earn per month in this case?

In actuality they don't mention a specific as they are more interested in seeing a steady flow of monthly income and also that taxes are being paid.

Good afternoon, I'm from Pakistan and i married to a brazilian woman ,i came to brazil at visit visa and I got permanent visa here in brazil. Everything documented, registered and legalized according to Brazilian law, I would like to know if i renew my passport in Pakistan, my visa stamp on my passport will be invalid?do i need to get another permanent visa stamp on my new passport? because my current passport is stamped by police federal, Can i travel to pakistan without the stamp on my passport?

did you get RNE plastic card? You wont need visa stamp in passport in this case

Hi Guys, I got the RNE 7 months ago based on child birth. I am currently working outside Brazil and I am planning to take back my family (my wife, two daughters , one is Brazilian) back to Brazil to apply for citizenship. I am planning to visit them every three months and will enroll my daughter 3ys in private kinda-garden. I am going to made a declaration that I am financially responsible for the family. In addition, we will use our CPFs when exchanging USD to Reals. My question is if we apply for citizenship will my request rejected ? and If I am rejected will they reject my wife and daughter?

Memocbob

Are you talking about getting permanent residency.? Does your wife have hers?

Jim

jiland912 thanks for your reply

I am talking about getting citizenship, we all have permanent residency however, we currently live abroad.

As parents and sibling of a Brazilian, you, your wife, and your non-Brazilian daughter can apply for naturalization after one year of continuous residence in Brazil.  For your wife and daughter,  this will probably be interpreted as 12 months after their next arrival here.
In your case, you have permanent residency, but will probably not achieve CONTINUOUS residency in the near future; you should consider discussing your case with an attorney the next time you're in-country.

abthree
Thanks a lot for the valuable information.

A friend of mine with my same case, arrived in Brasilia last year and applied after 3 months, the poilce federal visited him after around four months and he passed the language test a month later, and now he is still waiting for the decision, Does it mean that there is still possibility to be refused?

memocbob

There's always the possibility of being refused.  The new Law of Migration recognizes a right of family reunion, which seems to be satisfied by granting permanent residency; the Federal Police appear to have more discretion with respect to naturalization.
If your friend's case is the same as yours, it still sounds like he's been in the country continuously since his arrival.  If the Federal Police haven't raised any issues with him by now, my guess would be that they're just waiting for him to complete his one year before issuing him his naturalization.  But that's just a guess.

Just FYI although the law clearly states that in order to apply for citizenship you must have continuously been living in Brazil for a period of 1 year. 

Majority of the Policia Federal officers accept the applications. 

As far as lawyers are concerned to be honest out of 37 lawyers that I talked / interacted with (including my own attorney). There were only 2 who had accurate knowledge about immigration law.

Everyone else would just be more concerned with the 100 dollars consultation fee and would just copy paste all the instructions which used to be mentioned on the Policia Federal website.

Hence if you go through the attorney route make sure that you are fully satisfied with him and make a payment plan which works based on your attorney completing specific tasks.

Also there are some people who think that paying everything in advance will make the attorney work harder, in reality that has the opposite effect.  They got the money so they will have nothing to chase after.

Stanza 51

I am not considering the option of hiring a lawyer, I will apply my-self. However, the procedures seems to be different from city to city. A friend of mine submitted his documents and waited for four months for the police visit and took the language test a month later.
Another friend applied in another city and he took the exam in the same day and had the police visit in less than 3 weeks.

stanza51 wrote:

Just FYI although the law clearly states that in order to apply for citizenship you must have continuously been living in Brazil for a period of 1 year.

could u give me a link?

Aladent wrote:
stanza51 wrote:

could u give me a link?

You can read the law (in Portuguese) here:

www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/_ato2015- … L13445.htm

Chapter VI deals with Naturalization.

memocbob wrote:

However, the procedures seems to be different from city to city.

its 100% true! it seems absurd, but requirements depends on local office of federal police

abthree wrote:

You can read the law (in Portuguese) here:

www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/_ato2015- … L13445.htm

Chapter VI deals with Naturalization.

thank you, but I have read it before, and  its not clear at all...

Art. 65.  Será concedida a naturalização ordinária àquele que preencher as seguintes condições:

-II - ter residência em território nacional, pelo prazo mínimo de 4 (quatro) anos

Art. 66.  O prazo de residência fixado no inciso II do caput do art. 65 será reduzido para, no mínimo, 1 (um) ano se o naturalizando preencher quaisquer das seguintes condições:

III - ter cônjuge ou companheiro brasileiro e não estar dele separado legalmente ou de fato no momento de concessão da naturalização;

it doesnt explain how it works....for example, can u stay for 11 months in Brazil, then leave it it for a couple of months and come back....or u must to stay for 12 months(1 year) before applying for passport?  I cant see these important details in law.

Aladent wrote:

it doesnt explain how it works....for example, can u stay for 11 months in Brazil, then leave it it for a couple of months and come back....or u must to stay for 12 months(1 year) before applying for passport?  I cant see these important details in law.

And you won't see them until the detailed regulations are issued, which hasn't happened yet.  This is why I suggested professional assistance.  You'll be asking the FP for an innovative, liberal interpretation, when the easy answer is "no".  I don't see that happening without a Brazilian advocate at your side, but you may get lucky - here's hoping!

abthree wrote:

but you may get lucky - here's hoping!

thank you :-)

Hi Guys,

I have a question in regards to paying taxes.
I am working abroad and my wife and children will live in Brazil. I am planning to open a bank account to myself or my wife in Brazil.

My question is how can i use the CPF or how can I show them that we are paying taxes?
I will register the USD when I arrive in the airport every time, and I will exchange them in Cambio instead of black market in order to use the CPF. Is this a good idea?

I have witnessed this happen with my own 2 eyes.  And a few applicants even went and asked the Policia Federal Officer and they gave an affirmative reply.

As far as advocates are concerned, as I stated before, most of them are overall advocates, but they don't specialize in immigration law. 

I even had a couple of lawyers based in Rio and São Paulo who didn't know the difference between Naturalization and the Permanent Residency process. 

Having an attorney present with you at the Policia Federal office is close to worthless.  All what my attorney did was sip coffee and wait outside while I had to go finish the language test and interview.

:)

Thank you for wanting to pay your taxes!
I'm working on that with an accountant right now, to pay my taxes for 2017.  As a "Profissional Liberal", I have a lot of latitude in declaring my income.  I'll be declaring the monthly transfer I make to my Brazilian bank account from my US account, which will be supported by the Brazilian account deposit records.  According to my accountant,  that will be sufficient.
As for declaring your dollars on arrival, that's only required if you're carrying the equivalent of R$10,000 or more.
Your Brazlian bank account information will include your CPF (or your wife's, if the account is in her name), and your deposits will tie back to that.

Hi
can you pass me the details of the attorney that you say is knowledgeable in immigration? I would like to apply for the Brazilian passport and i am looking for an attorney that will help me submit my application.

thanks

I totally second what Stanza51 said: Lawyers are absolutely worthless when it comes to immigration issues in Brasil. I can't stress this enough. Thank god I only wasted $300 on one - and he even gave me wrong information! - before coming to my senses. The best help you will get is from persons who have gone through the immigration processes themselves.  DM people on this site, that is probably your safest start.

Hello friends,I am an indian nationality,have a similar issue regarding permanent visa,i wanted to tell you that i have a brazilian daughter but i am not living with my wife anymore in Brazil.Can i apply for permanent visa as i am father of a brazilian child.What all documents are required by me to get permanent visa.This will help me in visiting my daughter frequently without trouble.

Tushar Nair
Yes, if your daughter is still a minor, you probably qualify for permanent residency.  The requirements for a VITEM XI visa should be available on the website of the Brazilian Embassy in New Delhi.  They will be able to tell you what additional documents you'll need to bring with you to complete your application with the Federal Police after you arrive.
You should be aware of at least two things.  (1.) If your plan is to live in India and only visit your daughter from time to time, the Embassy will probably determine that you don't need permanent residency, and that you can do that on a tourist visa.  (2.) If you start the permanency process, you will be expected to stay in Brazil until it is completed and your CRNM is issued, which generally takes several months .

Tushar Nair wrote:

Hello friends,I am an indian nationality,have a similar issue regarding permanent visa,i wanted to tell you that i have a brazilian daughter but i am not living with my wife anymore in Brazil.Can i apply for permanent visa as i am father of a brazilian child.What all documents are required by me to get permanent visa.This will help me in visiting my daughter frequently without trouble.

Your case would be a "Reunion Familiar." There is what you call a "chamante" being your daughter or
a "chamado" being you. Since youŽre now separated, your daughter needs to petition you (chamante)
to come and reside in Brazil. IŽm not sure if sheŽs able to do this in Brazil at a minor age. But a proof that sheŽs dependent to you for support might be enough. Please go the nearest Brazilian Embassy or Consulate in India for clarification...

https://www.justica.gov.br/seus-direito … residencia

Or just be contented with a tourist visa to come and visit your daughter...

robal

thank you very much.I will go for permanent residency.