Cabrera Homicides January 4th

I'm curious to hear North Coasters take on the double homicides that occurred in Cabrera just after the new year...a couple days after my husband and I left Cabrera.  I just read some on DR1 website about this...(PHEW!?  Can anyone explain why DR1 exists? It seems like everyone on there hates the DR!  Topic for another post, I guess...)  I'm most interested to watch how the investigation goes...will the murder/s ever be found and/or their motive be known?  So sad...and yet, I wish I could say unheard of here in Metro Detroit...but I can't....

I believe three upstanding young Dominicans have been arrested in this case.  Here is a link to a FB page called Crime stoppers which follows and helps with crime here on the north coast. Leon (the guy who runs it) is a terrific person and his energy in working on this is amazing.  facebook.com/groups/crimestoppersdr/

Bob K

Also as to the www.dr1 board I find it is populated by nay sayers, unhappy expats, complainers, and basically tiresome folks. I use this board if I have a specific question or can answer a specific question.  The ongoing unhappy, negative threads I ignore.

It is sort of like some of the bars around Sosua and Cabarete, The same crowd is there every day complaining about the same "crap"...... Totally useless.

Bob K

Thanks for the link, Bob...and a yes...Dr1 seems rather negative!

It's odd to see comments that you guys don't like, being labelled as ' negative' etc, without any comments about their truth conditions.  We've also noticed frequent ad hominems against the writers. Indeed, we've even seen comments being censored. However comments that you might not like provide a
valuable service to those who are considering a
move or visit to the dr.  We would expect the gov. to try to hide hide things, and make rationalizations, but surely not us gringos.

Once again you know not or what you speak of..

Bob K

This thread is certainly NOT a only-see-the-rosie-side topic...I do want to know start a conversation about safety...so I would value anyone's thoughts

There was a thread about safety, go check it out, lots of great info and ideas.

Bob K. Just after mentioning the matter of ad hominems, instead of the points, there you go, referring to me, instead of any of the points!  Idealize that many of the gringos here have big investments, commitments, etc. and that this leads to them seeing the dr thru rose-tinted glasses. But naked facts should not be just labelled as negative or complaining. Rather, it's important information for all of us.

We.have no issue with facts, on topic, presented in as balanced a way as possible.

Specific to you - show us your posts of anything positive or balanced!

dont kill the messenger if you dont like the message. As far as criminal justice goes here in the DR you can take everything you know on the subject in the states or canada and throw it out the window because it doesnt apply here. I think first degree murder brings about a seven month sentence here unless they cant afford to feed you in prison and they let you go. Usually the victim has to pay to keep someone locked up. At least if he or she is a gringo.

You are at least partly right, .maybe completely but.I don't actually know.

First thing to understand is that you are considered guilty but you prove you are innocent.  Dominican law is based on French law and it is very different.

I read many 20 year sentences for murder but don't know who.the victims were.

I believe the max sentence for Murder is 35 years.  But 35 year in a Dominican jail is basically a death sentence.

The 7 months talked about is how long they hold you in jail till your trial.  Here like Planner says you are guilty till you can prove your innocence  and once arrested you can be placed in jail for 3 months to a year while they figure out the facts (as they see them) and have a trial.  The worse the crime the longer this "holding pattern" will be.

Bob K

Is it legal to own a gun in DR? We don't own one but a lot of people some of our friends are starting to get them in the US and keeping them in their home. I was just wondering if it is legal to have a gun in the DR and someone breaks into your house in middle of night are you guilty if you shoot him? It's kind of scary to think you would be held in jail trying to prove your innocence when you shot someone for being in your house in the middle of the night.

you can have a gun but only with a permit. if you dont have a permit and get caught with a gun adios.
If your a foreigner and kill a native in self defense, wow, you could have a world of problems.
A canadian here on the north coast was tired of having his house broken into so he hired a Haitian security guard. The guard shot and killed a perpetrator but because the shotgun was the property of the Canadian he was thrown in jail.
Only, I;m told, because he was a veteran of the Canadian police the embassy intervened and got him out.
Basically, I would say as far as an expat using lethal force to defend his home and family, your damned if you do and your damned if you dont.

I guess  there will definitely be some things I will miss in the US... And I guess there is no sense in having a gun

So basically no self defender at all.  And people actually.......voluntarily decide to live here???   Now, one of my criteria in choosing a retirement place, is one where they have 'make my day' laws.

Then you should stay away from here!!!!!

Whoa....not sure what that's all about? I just want to be aware of the law before moving to another country, and besides reading and researching it's good to get it from people who actually live there. We will definitely give it a try for 2-5 years if we don't like it or can't get used to the differences we have a building lot waiting in SW Florida, we've built 11 homes what's one more lol! Seriously don't think that will be the case though, been waiting too long for this move and once we're there we prob won t ever want to leave:-)

Yes you can own a gun but not before you have your residency and have had it for 4 years.  Then you have to test for it. Not easy and not cheap.  Legal firearms here are also about 3-4x what they would cost in the US and ammo is hard to get and expensive as well.

Bob K

Kat that message wasn't for you!  :)