Best cities to live in Thailand

Hi,

It's not always easy to decide in which area to settle in when moving to Thailand. According to you, what are the best cites to live in?

Which regions offer most of the job opportunities, a good quality of life, an affordable cost of living?

Share with us the cities you would recommend to expats and soon-to-be expats in Thailand.

Thank you in advance,

Julien

I feel Chiang mai is the best place to settle in Thailand. Good cost of living, best weather and lots of universities make it a fun town with more modern thinking and great food.
I also love the Mae Rim and Mae Ram areas!!!!!!!!!

each areas will have positive and negative point, that depends  what you are looking for, rural are, mountain, agriculture, seaside, etc... but more important your personal situation, if you are retired, if you work, if you have children in school etc....

Choice of cities can be reduced with your list of criteria, for example an expat who is looking for a french school for their kids will have choice of 3 cities only....

All depend obviously also about your budget, if you like tourist area, or places more calm, or you like night life, entertainment or places with a lot of expats. A island which attaract lot of tourists and also many expats like Koh Samui will have higher cost of living, food, restaurant, rental, and also plane ( not many airline companies fly there )

Anther important points are the presence of good hospitals, maybe international airports, shopping malls, etc... depends again n your taste and what you like.

Try different places if you are unsure, then you will find your best place.

I live in Chiang Mai, I like it, I do like also Chiang Rai more in the north but easy to drive there from Chiang Mai, in the South my choice will be more Krabi less expats there, Hua Hin is ok too for those looking for many expats

Agree... Chiang mai is one of the better places for the reasons described, weather is a little cooler, cost of living cheaper than BKK and many flights to other cites and countries; level of english (I find) is much better than in BKK and people there much more helpful.. i understand quite a few Thai film stars have second homes there, so price of top houses are quite expensive.. comparable to Phuket, but plenty of mid range houses at reasonable prices.

PAKCHONG - as family with two young girls we have everything here nearby, shopping, clean air and nature, many places to go with the kids for fun, international school, national park. Great restaurants, shopping ok unless you look for caviar and Gucci. Easy access to Bangkok and it is getting even easier when the train and HighWay comes. Airport I reach in less than 2 hours. Good mix of Thai and faring too. Weather is cooler than Bangkok but not cold. Thus land prices have been going up for a while, they are not crazy like Bangkok.

Need a little city life - Korat only 100km away, Sarabury just 65.

Best of all - NO TRAFFIC JAM!

See some pictures - pretty much say everything:

khaoyairealty.com/#!khao-yai/c1h7j

Chiang mai , best city to live in south east Asia

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : off topic post

Chiang Mai is way, way, way too crowded, over priced, unbearably hot at times, traffic jams, smoke when they burn and rude Thai's  ...I'm on a nice secluded island, nature parks, cheap to live, bring in fresh food once a month. no police, thus no corruption, nice people. I not say where in Thailand as I don't wanta be flooded with drunken morons.

Thai people are peaceful, friendly and polite. Of course. if you behave aggressively towards them and ignore their culture and customs, then you will not see that side of them. Although many are not fluent in English, I found their level of English better than most foreigners' Thai. How would you feel about immigrants back home who are rude, do not speak the language and insult your country's values? In the UK for instance, you have to pass an exam in language and culture to live there long-term. I hope Thailand one day adopts the same approach.

I have lived close to Pattaya for about 9 years with my wife and daughter. Access to Bangkok and the International airport is excellent, the Regent's International School is as good if not better than most private school in the UK and Pattaya itself, whilst admittedly populated by a huge number of tourists in the high season, is an easy place to live. Since I first moved to Thailand in 1990, I have seen the attitude of most Thai's become less tolerant towards foreign visitors, however if you are polite, respectful and culturally aware, the Thai population even in Pattaya remain warm and friendly. On my last trip back to the UK I did not notice the same warm and friendly attitude to foreign visitors there, as my Thai wife would no doubt attest to. Having lived and worked in London, New York, Toronto, Dubai and Bangkok, I can honestly say the cost of living in Pattaya is very affordable.

90% of the jobs are in Bangkok.  It has all you need but is not cheap. Others recommend Chiang Mai.  I would too if you are lucky enough to find a job there.

In 2015 I traveled through north, central and south Thailand for two months and have visited many cities, towns and islands. I tend to mix with the Thai people and have met all kinds of wonderful people. The air quality in parts of the north during burning season in Myanmar was a deal breaker for me. Nong Khai was ok though ... quiet, nice people.  I liked old Bangkok, well away from the tourist areas, but air quality would also be an issue for me in regard long term stays.  Krabi town was very nice, but I haven't been there in the rainy season ... really easy to make new friends.  I'm a musician and ESL teacher, so I tend to look for places with good music venues and such. Nakhon Si Thammarat was also kind of interesting. Hua Hin might be more comfortable for expats, but I keep leaning to Krabi town.  Easy access to the airport. Great food. Wonderful vistas. Going back this March for another look around. Koh Chang was also nice, but, yeah, so far Krabi town seems comfortable for me. Stay at the Krabi Loma, cheap, clean, nice, and have a look around. Take the 4 island tour while you're at it.   dcb

Lived in Pattaya for 10yrs. Love it....................

Easy question..... Chiang Mai.  CM is becoming foreigner city and good riddance to locate all them frang up there.  I moved to Thailand in part to be away from Americans and found a place comfortably near BKK and can very often be the only Western face in Lotus here.  Go make CM more of Westwood Los Angeles and be sure to insulate yourselves from Thai, from Buddhism, and from everything that makes Thailand so delightfully different.
CM will allow you to bring 90% of all that is wrong with the West and wallow in that.  Please do not settle in Thailand, but if you just must, make it CM  !!

Love your description 90% of western bad habits are welcome in Chiang Mai.... so true it's not for me.

Let<s face it.  80% of us come to Thailand for reasons of the heart. So the best place is always close to her.   After living in Bangkok , we decided to buy a house in the northen part of the country (Phayao) close to her family.  All the guys i know here finaly ended up close to their girls<s family.  And beside the girls  here all have  financial responsabilities toward their mothers and fathers.   So my advice to you all futur expats,  anywhere in Thailand is good if you come for reasons of the heart.   And if not,  Pattaya is a sure winner.   Like the sign on Pattaya<s waking street  says ......good guys go to heaven, bad guys come to Pattaya......LOL.

I like CM,Chiang rai, Pai.
but now live 6yers in Huay -yai,15km from Pattaya. Suvarnaphum and U-tabao near
Big shop and market only 20minutes but good countrylive  if like

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : inappropriate

Hi Julien,

That's a difficult question because there are so many variables.

My situation is pretty much the same but I live in the mountains of the central part of the country at about 800M above sea level.

Chiang Mai

Been in, around, out of Thailand (& 160 other countries) during past 55 years - effectively a Thai resident past 20. Suburban - Gated Community - Chiang Mai: Best place to stay - on Earth!

I like Pattaya.  Just so much diversity.  When I get tired of the rat race, i go to the country.  Anywhere in the country away from any city.  2 other places are Nan and Pai.  I'm considering Chaiphum but need to visit it a bit more.  Just keep coming back to the Pattaya darkside.

Just like Miami, but more falangs...

As you can see, Many like CM !!

I don´t like CM, inner city is like a "pretty Pattaya" for me. CM is way to cold for me. And i don´t like it when Thai burn the XXXX every year, and it so bad to breath there.
Want to live there when i first come to Thailand, As i have good friends from back home living in that area, But it was not me.
And biggest minus in CM. It have way To many foreigner...

I stay Bangkok and Nonthaburi the first 4 years here, As i dream of a big city growing up, But again, It was not me.

Thai wife and i move to Bang Saen after her parent give us a house here, and i love it, This is the city for me, And i do hope i stay here to the day my time come.

But Thailand is great, It have a place for everyone Needs to live, And what a good city for me, Don´t mean other city are not good for you !!!

Hey Never Done That--- We also have a place between Bang Sean and Phanat Nacomb.  When I get tired of the country I go back to Pattaya and than back to the farm.  Great life for me.  Cheers

None!

Chaingmai because of it's diversity. Lived in the country before when family was young but family gone now and was too boring lifestyle. Question for those that live out in the country or in small town. What do you do all day?

Hello, I live in Nonthburi, now almost 3 years, I am from San Francisco, my wife is Thai, however she has been in the California for over 30 years, so a bit of culture shock when we retired and moved here. My biggest complant  is that the traffic and noise near are condo is very loud, and congested, air quality is sometimes poor, we visit HuaHin often, it is much quieter down there, but it is not the the place to live, it is getting to expensive, so I have been looking all of Thailand for some place I can rent or buy a second home. Some place easier to drive, but not to far from hospitals & grocery stores. We are both healthy in are mid 60's. We have a plan to go back to California for 6 months each year, but am afraid that we might find it to expensive to live there long term, and we would not have as much freedom as we do here with spending money. I was hoping you could tell me more about the town or village where you live, and perhaps we could find out more about the area you are living and it's advantages & disadvantages, the cost to buy or rent, etc. Thank You in advance for your help.  Patrick

Julien,
The people that say Chiang Mai is the best city in Thailand probably haven't been coming to Thailand before 1971.Chiang Mai is highly nflated.To many farangs making it that way.Certain parts of the year
The air is bad.Probably will die younger than you would have.Rush hour traffic is getting worse all the time.
Some of the beaches down south are OK.You might want to check out some of the cities in Isaan.

I have to say also Chiang Mai,  we went there for the first time also in Thailand  about 2 years ago . We Were scouting for a place to retire early..  CM was it , only was there for 3 days and bought a brand new house and had it build to our requirements.. We are going to move there in 5 months or so.. Can't wait , my self and wife and our 4 dogs..lol 🌴🐘🌴

Good luck with the air pollution,traffic,and all in all crowdness,and inflation.
Many things there the same or higher prices than Bangkok.,enjoy

I first came to Thailand in 1961, have had a regular (Professional) presence here, ever since -- and (although I keep others, in other countries) a home and annually-renewable effective permanent residence (PR) for the past more than 20 years.

Having watched the prettiest parts of the country trampled and corrupted and made uninhabitable by invading Europeons and by Russian thugs, I've not the slightest doubt that my choice of gated suburban Chiang Mai is far and away the very best choice for both a place and a way, to live.

The cost of living here is about 25% of Bangkok's and Chiang Mai's International Airport offers one-stop services to pretty much any world destination. Health, hospital, dentistry and other medical-professional services are of world standard.

I choose not to do the "farang" thing and don't see a "white" person for months at a stretch.

The fact Chiang Mai is off the beaten (and particularly the Europeon-beaten) tourist track, is a large part of its attractiveness. As, conversely, that there are many resident Americans (around 25,000 of them missionaries) in Chiang Mai's vicinity, means the supermarkets (Rimping, particularly) are well stocked.

So Thrilled, sounds like you don't like Chiang Mai, or Bangkok .. What part do you like ? Or are you just a grumpy person that don't like anywhere....and should probably just go back to you own country if they want you back... Just saying..😊🌴🐘🌴

You must not have read my posts.I said maybe check out the beaches,Islands,some of the cities in Isaan.I believe if the person has the
Time and the money to spend about A month in each place and go from there.
  Some people like busy cities,Bangkok,ChiangMai.While some people enjoy the beach.And others like small cities.So best bet is to check everywhere.

Just saying, there is a US Consultant in Chiang Mai, saves that trip to Bangkok.....
Mike

Every country seems to have its set of ghettos;  Thailand has.......
CM, the EU/NA foreigner place with oncoming Chinese part timers.
BKK, the metro/international affluent/sophisticated set.
Essan, the rare admirer of really remote living.
Pattaya/Phuket, beach/bar action mainly single men (and foreign thugs and gangsters).
Other beaches, beach people.
Oh, there is a BKK Chinatown and other "-towns"
Take your pick.

Agree entirely!!!   I live in Bangkok, but looking to move to CM next year.
The air pollution of grossly overstated.. it is about 3 days a year caused by crop burning in the north. try living with BKK air polltion 24/7!!
The roads are becomming a little more conjested, but if anyone has been in a BKK traffic jam there is no comparison.

good, please stay there.....

Where is this island?