How long it takes for a child to adapt? How to choose a school ?

Hi,

I'm planning to move to London this year with my family. My main worry is that my 11 year daughter knows only a few words of English, cannot establish a conversation. So I'm worried about school, she is in 5th year in Portugal. How long it takes for a child to adapt, how to choose a school and all the steps required. thanks

Hello Mesportugal,

Welcome on board  :)

This new thread has been created from your post on the London forum so that members may give you their feedback.

Hope it helps,
Bhavna

We moved to the UK from Holland 20 years ago; our twins couldn't speak English, they picked it up within a month, they now both have Yorkshire accents (even when they speak Dutch) - which is hilarious :)

I wouldn't worry about it.

Hello mesportugal,

As an educator with a career that spans over 28 years, teaching English as a second language, and now 13 years teaching Portuguese to English speakers I can tell you that you shouldn't be too worried.

Children are much more adaptable than we adults ever will be, and it has been my experience that they end up learning the language rather quickly and in most cases are responsible for great improvement in their parents' language skills too.

You may wish to check out my posting LEARN OVER A THOUSAND PORTUGUESE WORDS IN A FEW MINUTES. If you just reverse the simple rules you can see that it will be just as easy to understand how the Portuguese words will translate into English words. That will really give your daughter a head start on picking up the language.

Now the grammar... well unfortunately that's a whole different story.

Cheers,
James
https://www.expat.com Experts Team

Thank you all.
I think Portuguese Grammar is much more difficult than English to be honest and I've learned both in school and college.