Free schooling for children of work permits / tier 2 visa?

Hi there all

Info:
From South Africa
Husband has job offer in London
My son and I would go as dependents on his work permit / Tier 2 visa

Someone on here told me that my 3 year old son would receive free schooling from 5 years onwards once we moved to the UK.

I've just received a link to a UK visa site which says that dependents (which would be my son) are not entitled to any state benefits.

Wouldn't this include free schooling?

I am very confused now.

This changes everything with our potential move as we cannot afford to pay up to 1000 pounds per month on nursery fees for a baby as well as school fees for a toddler or school age going child.

Can someone please clarify with absolute certainty.

Thank you so much!

Eve

Hi Eve, 

Education is free for your children after five, and even before. From the time they are 3, they are entitled to 15 hs of schooling (free) at their local nursery. At the age of 5 they will start mainstream schooling (Foundation stage) , and that will be full time.

I should look into the Tier 2 (I'm here on an EEA family member visa) , but I am almost certain both Education and Health are free for you and your family as lawful residents in the UK.

The benefits that UK Border Agency mentions have to do with other additional ones UK citizens (or permanent residents) have, such as housing benefits, low-income or unemployment related benefits. You can't, for example, claim job-seekers allowance,if unemployed.

I hope the info is useful, and just shoot if you have any more questions.

Good luck with everything.

Liliana.

Looking for a career position where I can grow well and bring a high degree of skills, initiative and enthusiasm, where I can apply my range of abilities including excellent Interpersonal Skills.