Updated 9 months ago

If you want to study in London or have been accepted in a higher education establishment in London, the city offers cultural diversity, rich history, and a vibrant social calendar.

London has numerous excellent universities that attract international students from all over the world.

There are more than 40 universities and higher education facilities in London, and more than a quarter of its student population come from overseas.

Many students apply for a work visa after having completed their studies and found an employment sponsor.

Where to study in London 

It is important to research which institutions across London teach the course your wish to study and to be aware of the entry requirements as well as course fees. You can read more on admission formalities in the article Studying in the UK.

Many universities have central locations, with the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), for example, being walking distance from both the British Library and Trafalgar Square. Middlesex University, on the other hand, is based further out and takes at least 30 minutes by tube to reach the city centre. Some universities have more than one campus, and these may be situated in different parts of the UK, so keep this in mind as your research where your course will be located.

London is home to several Russel Group Universities, including the University College of London and the London School of Economics which rank in the top 10 in the UK and the Top 20 in the World

Tuition fees and cost of living in London

International tuition fees vary depending on the institution, the course and the course duration. These fees start at around £10,000 and go up to £35,000. Humanities and social sciences tend to be the least expensive courses to follow, while law and medical studies can be the most expensive.

Accommodation and living expenses are high in London, with accommodation guaranteed to be your biggest expense. The University College London (UCL) estimates the cost of accommodation in London for an academic year (9 months) to be £8,034, however you may be able to find less expensive accommodation in university halls or flat shares.

You may be eligible for loans, grants, scholarships and other forms of funding to cover your tuition fees and living expenses. Explore the options available through your preferred universities or institutions, and from independent organisations such as The British Council.

Prominent UK or EU scholarships for international students include:

•    Chevening Scholarships – funded by the UK government
•    Erasmus Programme Scholarships – for students in the EU
•    Euraxess UK: Research placements in the UK
•    Royal Society grants: Postdoctoral science research

 Good to know:

To be exempted from paying council tax in London, you need to be studying for at least 21 hours per week for at least one academic year. This tax applies to any owner or tenant aged 20 or above.

 Useful links:

Student visas www.gov.uk/visa
Student support www.ukcisa.org.uk
Brunel University www.brunel.ac.uk
City, University of London www.city.ac.uk
Imperial College London www.imperial.ac.uk
King's College London www.kcl.ac.uk
London Metropolitan University www.londonmet.ac.uk
London South Bank University www.lsbu.ac.uk
London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) www.lse.ac.uk
London University  www.london.ac.uk
Middlesex University www.mdx.ac.uk
Queen Mary, University of London www.qmul.ac.uk
University College London (UCL) www.ucl.ac.uk
University of East London (UEL) www.uel.ac.uk
University of Greenwich www2.gre.ac.uk
Westminster University www.westminster.ac.uk

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.