Want to see the real everyday Belize

Hi there,
My name is Sherrianne I'm going to be taking a cruise next month and I'm lucky enough to have a stop off in Belize. I'm assuming that the port is close to Belize City I would like to know if anyone has an info on how to get out and see the "real everyday Belize" instead of the touristy excursion stuff?
I'm seriously looking into moving to Belize but of course like all 33 yr olds I'm not ready to retire. So I will have to find employment like everyone else. Which the more I read the harder it seems it will to be to obtain. I'm currently working as a Production Supervisor. I've heard that there is a shrimp plant in Belize. However, with it being a Belizian company I'm guessing their Supervisors are also from Belize which would knock me out of the running?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated on either topic.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Sherrianne

Hola, I watched the people come off the ship, take shuttle in. You will be about four blocks from real Belize City. I am on a second story balcony, and watching folks all day long. Be very careful, you will be hustled everywhere. Don't go out at night, I was told I will be a target. Their is a lot of things I would like to be, and target is not one of them.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking for a way to get away from Belize City. How would I find another shuttle to someplace else?

The bus depot is about a BZ$7.00 cabride from where the cruise ship shuttles land. There is a water taxi to Caye Caulker and San Pedro that runs on the hour. What your options are depend on the time you have ashore. The Cayes are very busy this time of year as we are now in high season and may not reflect actual life in Belize. If you like let us know a bit more about your schedule and people may be more easily be able to help with suggestions.

Depending on how long you'll be in port, you could take a trip inland to one of the ruins, or cave tubing.

Good Morning, your itenterary should have the amount of time you will have off of the ship. Taxis are $7 bz daytime, and $10 nighttime. Just a flat rate. Taxi to Lanmani $100 US that includes everything. Always negotiate, not like Mexico, but worth a try. ADO bus runs from Belize City to Chetamul. Regular buses leave terminal every hour for San Ignacio, and Chetamul. $5.00 bz to go from Belize City to Orange Walk, stops often. Seats are hard, and I am normally the only white person. Good way to see, and feel real Belize. I am not one to cry wolf. Be very careful, always no where you are, the city is dangerous. Please excuse spelling mistake, can not edit. Robert

Hello everyone,

@sherrianneconnelly:

I have created a new thread in the forum Belize with your post and the posts of the members who replied. You can now use this thread to ask your questions concerning your trip to Belize.

Thank You,
Best Regards,
Naomi.

if you want to know about belize I would recommend taking a couple of weeks and just visit different
places there. a cruise is not they way to go. plus if you were lucky enough to get a job it won't pay
like you are use to. (wouldn't hold your breath for getting a job)
we've been to belize 2 different times for the last 2 years, going back in feb for 10 days to Hopkins and we really like the town.

larry