Does anyone here teach in a secondary school?

Guys.  Hi.

Hopefully someone here will come to my rescue.

I am seeking a teaching position in any secondary school. Done my masters and have  around a decade worth professional experience,  which includes teaching at university level as well as conducting corporate trainings.

Reason?  Just love teaching. Have never taught at the secondary school level though.  Besides,  my own kids are growing up and believe that I can and will make a difference if I shift from corporate to academic life.  Education is everything and I want to give the best of it to my kids.

I wish to teach O / A level economics and sociology subjects, starting after July.

Can anyone help me get such a position? Get me in touch with a friend of yours who already teach in a school?  Anything?  Information? Contacts?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

As the hiring has pretty much finished in International Teaching for next year, jobs will begin to open up again around October of next year, when teachers are required to sign contracts.  Things happen very early, and you should contact schools directly at this point.

If you already live here you would be a local hire and that would save the school a ton of cash - at your expense as you wouldn't qualify for the expat package.  Once again this depends completely on your personal situation.

If you are unable to get any insider tips by posting in forums, in person meetings is your best bet I think.  You may have to do some subbing or teach areas you don't prefer, but Econ isn't something very many schools keep 2 or 3 staff to teach.  For instance, our "Econ teacher" teaches one IB Econ, two history, 2 electives and one credit recovery class.  Again, every situation is different.

Visit school websites as many of them have the correct contact information and some even have an employment page, listing all positions and where to email your interest.

Are you certified secondary education?  If so - is it still active?  It would probably be a wise decision to get that squared away as there is quite a decent amount of competition these days in education internationally.

Best of luck in finding what you're looking for!

Hello,

apart from inputs from relwell, you can visit expat-blog classifieds section
www.expat-blog.com/en/classifieds/middle-east/bahrain/

Do visit various job portals and register with them like Monstergulf, bayt, naukri, gulfconnexions or go through the daily news paper classifieds section (gulf-daily-news, dt.bh)

Good luck!

T&R

I think a PGCE or equivalent is a must in schools.

Colleges may have different rules if you have experience.

@relwell I understood jobs were still undecided until now in Bahrain.

I have a friend looking for a school position.
St.Chris have vacancies up with a closing date of Jan 14th...

@criticmag there is a list of all schools on Wikipedia, I'd approach each directly. Even on spec' if you're willing and able they may keep you in mind for the future.

vikpaw wrote:

@relwell I understood jobs were still undecided until now in Bahrain.

I have a friend looking for a school position.
St.Chris have vacancies up with a closing date of Jan 14th....

I didn't say all jobs were taken, simply that most teaching spots are filled.  Jobs will always be in flux - the nature of the beast.  People drop in and out of positions - and some people resign late.

I wish your friend luck in securing a position.

Thanks, sorry I misread. It's only that my school in Saudi is currently at the big London recruitment fair now, and there are other big ones going on in the next two weeks.

I thought now was the time for recruitment, as I heard some of the other big schools in Bahrain haven't done theirs yet.