Temporary MoT (muszaki vizsga?)

Hello everyone,

this is my first post here, after researching a bit I couldn't find the answer to my issue.

My couple and me drive around budapest her car, which is Romanian, but we don't register the car here because she's not 100% stable here, she's not permanently employed, come and go to Romania, so why bother.

But we realized that the MoT check in Romania was due October, and we didn't realize. I researched how to get it done here and asking around got told that is the Muszaki Vizsga, and that has to be done in specific places (in Spain those are government certified garages specific for those inspections).

But I can guess that they can only do the check to Hungarian registered cars, normally? Is there any way that they can issue a temporary check that the car is ok to drive, and then drive to Romania to get the proper check?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Never heard of just a temp. check for a car in Hungary.
It is good for 2 years time, don't think they do temp. registration or moving permits.
You may need to go back to Romania and do it properly there.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

It is good for 2 years time, don't think they do temp. registration or moving permits.

So the question then is, can I do the MoT in Hungary without having Hungarian plates?

Thank you

rafyelzz wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

So the question then is, can I do the MoT in Hungary without having Hungarian plates?

Thank you

No, it's a national issue. Take it back to Romania.  It's hardly any distance and if you go back sometimes anyway, just do it then.  The cops won't know anyway.

Probably not, never tried with a foreign plate.
Really tough, if not HU plates how can they know what the standard is for cars in Romania?
Like trying to go through the DMV in the US with NY plates in Minn. Just won't work unless you switch to the current states plates.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Probably not, never tried with a foreign plate.
Really tough, if not HU plates how can they know what the standard is for cars in Romania?
Like trying to go through the DMV in the US with NY plates in Minn. Just won't work unless you switch to the current states plates.

The standard for the DESIGN of the car is the same throughout the EU and the road worthiness TEST is supposed to be equivalent or the same in each EU country so that those cars can travel inter-EU without an issue.   But the actual testing is responsibility of the individual EU states.

There's no centralised EU system for vehicle testing and most cops are not the sharpest knives in the drawer and cannot read multiple languages so they would never know if your car was tested or not.

Many people simply do not bother with re-registering their cars because the hassle and the road/vehicle tax payable (it's not an import duty) varies considerably.  The most popular plates I see around here are German or Slovakian. Others I see are French, Irish, British or Spanish.  Never seen Portugal or Greek or Maltese. Presumably too far away.

Just bring the car over to Oradea or something and do the ITP and be done with it. 

Romaniac

Sort of scary to read the posts and realize so many people are driving around Hungary illegally.
You must have auto insurance before you can register your car in HU.
The insurance co. will know if your plates are expired.
That said, no plates= no insurance.
I asked my HU husband about your car and he clearly said it must be done legally and there is no half way measures with a temp. permit.
You may keep driving illegally if you chose to but if your caught it is going to be a big deal, they will remove whatever plates you do have, give out a huge fine etc.

There are some things in Hungary that just shouldn't be messed around with, the gov. collects fees on registration and they will not let you off easy if you don't pay your dues.
We are out of the country for a long trip and we left funds to have a friend pay our auto insurance and any fees that come in the mail, the car is safely parked and not being used right now but we still must pay to keep the car legally on the road for when we return to HU.
Sometimes you can not be cheap and try to sneak by, if caught it is not worth it.

Hi Marilyn,  thank you very much for your response.

I'm must have explained myself wrongly,  but is only the mot that has to be renewed,  that has nothing to do with the insurance (car is still insured).  So not passing the mot is one thing and the insurance is whole other thing.

Also,  not registering the car in Hungary if you're not permanently settled here is ok,  and having European driving license and insurance is enough.

Correct me if I'm wrong please

Not sure, should ask my Husband, will get back to it for you
He has registered many cars in Hu in the past

I know when we had a car with US plates on it in HU we had to pay 4 times normal for auto insurance.

romaniac wrote:

Just bring the car over to Oradea or something and do the ITP and be done with it. 

Romaniac

Thanks Romaniac, the problem is the (fear) risk of being stopped on the way or even in the border. I'm getting opinions of some other people that should be possible to just pass the MoT in Hungary and be given a temporary road compliant document, altho I find it unlikely.

rafyelzz wrote:
romaniac wrote:

Romaniac

Thanks Romaniac, the problem is the (fear) risk of being stopped on the way or even in the border. I'm getting opinions of some other people that should be possible to just pass the MoT in Hungary and be given a temporary road compliant document, altho I find it unlikely.

As far as I'm aware, and what others seem to have confirmed.....there is no temporary inspection, it's either good for 2 years or nothing.   Yes, driving with it expired is illegal, and yes it's a decent size fine and they'll seize the registration certificate of the car if you are caught.  You have good reason to fear the risks, I know I would.

However, in the times I've crossed the border at Oradea with a RO plated car and an NL export plated car, the border police never checked the documents of the car, they were only concerned with ID cards/passports.  I think unless they have a reason to (or the mood) they won't bother with this.

Not saying it won't happen, but it's never been checked in my experiences.

You could always put the car on a platform and send it over, costs a bit more of course, but there's no worries about being legal in transit.

Romaniac

Back at you, sorry my husband could only say to go take a trip to Romania and take care of it there, Not too far away for a day trip.

I guess that's what we'll try. Thanks everyone!

Have a safe drive, at least it will be done proper without worries.

If you are worried about driving an illegal car in Hungary and across the boarder you can simply hire a car transporting truck to carry the car back to Romania. Expensive, but less than fines if caught driving an unregistered car.

rafyelzz wrote:

Also,  not registering the car in Hungary if you're not permanently settled here is ok,  and having European driving license and insurance is enough.

Correct me if I'm wrong please

Yes, it's enough.  There's a minimum insurance requirement and if you have insurance it is usually still valid even if your car does not have the test.  That's so third parties are protected.  It's an EU thing.

romaniac wrote:

[....Yes, driving with it expired is illegal, and yes it's a decent size fine and they'll seize the registration certificate of the car if you are caught.  You have good reason to fear the risks, I know I would.

However, in the times I've crossed the border at Oradea with a RO plated car and an NL export plated car, the border police never checked the documents of the car, they were only concerned with ID cards/passports.  I think unless they have a reason to (or the mood) they won't bother with this....

Driving a car with expired tests is likely to be OK so long as you are driving directly to a pre-arranged test (this is absolutely acceptable in the UK so long as your car is insured).   .

In any case, the test is not really of interest to the border or ordinary police.  They do not have expert knowledge about it and it's not in their job description.  They are only interested if the car is stolen. 

But as always, you pays your money and takes your chances.