Driving licence in Hungary

Has any xpat had experience in obtaining a Hungarian Driving license, while holding a Canadian AND a an international driving license

Not Canadian, but Aussie. I believe the same rules apply. Need to find a driving school where you will need to "re-sit" for your license here. Once thats all done, you surrender your Canadian license and you are issued with a Hungarian one, Just be careful driving if you dont have a Hungarian license as International license only applies for a certain amount of time and number of times.
I went thru the hassle of have to get mine for here.
Someone quote me if I am wrong.

Information can be found HERE

Thanks for that Sim...makes it easier .......  :):top:

We are also from Canada and had our experience of DL exchange.  You would need to take few driving lessons with accredited driving school, have computer driving exam and pass it with certain score.

You would need to translate your driver license at OFFI, then go to government office with the results of your test, driver license, its translation, pay applicable fees and then you would be issued HU driver license in exchange for your Canadian one.

You could not keep Canadian and HU license at the same time. 

Hope it helps

Thank you for you input, I am currently using my Canadian AND International DL, I actually got a ticket yesterday for passing a very stinky transport truck only 50 metres inside a solid line!! , we certainly must be careful in Hungary , and the police are using various makes of unmarked cars!!

Thank you Voyager :)
Is it possible that you may know someone who could provide this service in English!, thank you so much for you info :)

Just look for English speaking Driving schools in your area.
If you want to drop me a line, depending on where you are I could recommend 1

Thank you Aries!, I am in Hatvan, just 35 minutes to Arpad Hid

The 1 I could recommend is more In Budapest, close to Mammut shopping complex.
Did all mine thru him and he was super helpful with everything.
Names; Tamas ***
He has his own school and was a great help
:)

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : please exchange personal details in private

here is the school we used for taking a quick course and few driving lessons before taking theoretical exam (drivingschoolinenglishdothu)

Hope I am not breaking any rules with marketing

voyage2931 wrote:

here is the school we used for taking a quick course and few driving lessons before taking theoretical exam (drivingschoolinenglishdothu)

Hope I am not breaking any rules with marketing

I see that guy (drivingschoolinenglish.hu) driving around here with student drivers.  It's only about 2km from my house.

Recently got my Hungarian licence no problem - just went to local doctor to get a fitness cert (no examination or test of any kind, just asked if I used glasses for driving) then went to the local licence - issuing place, paid a fee, got my photo taken, and was issued a licence (sent by post a couple of days later). I had to surrender in my UK licence by returning it in the post. Whether it was easy because I am an EU citizen (Brit) and a permanent resident of Hungary, I don't know ....

I remember they were very picky in converting the lettered groups (categories of vehicles I could drive) on my UK licence into the Hungarian equivalent - the UK group which allowed me to drive a bus with up to 15 passengers gave them a bit of a problem, so I told them to ignore that that as I will never want to drive a bus, but no, they said my Hungarian licence had to match exactly the permissions on my UK licence - they did it in the end ....

rakfaray wrote:

I remember they were very picky in converting the lettered groups (categories of vehicles I could drive) on my UK licence into the Hungarian equivalent - the UK group which allowed me to drive a bus with up to 15 passengers gave them a bit of a problem, so I told them to ignore that that as I will never want to drive a bus, but no, they said my Hungarian licence had to match exactly the permissions on my UK licence - they did it in the end ....

I also went through the process of getting the paper.  It was done by nurses.

I think you should also have insisted on your entitlements.  If you ever get back a UK license, you might have to argue about it.   

I've got an interesting one for them. I've actually got a DL from another country as well which entitles me to ride a large motorbike. 

I don't know how they'd include that or even if they would try to add it on as an entitlement.

It is because you are a Brit that it was so easy.
There's a reciprical agreement with EU countries and EEC members, or with verified International DLs.
For me, with an American license, it is:
1. Go to doctor to get health certification, pay a fee
2. Get eye examination, may be free at Ofotert
3. Get license translated, fee for that as you can only do it at a registered translation service
4. Register for DL at local government office
5. Gegister with driving school -- you don't have to take their courses, only sit for the written and driving exams. Of course there are fees for these.
6. When you pass both, you take that proof to the local government again for them to issue a license.
The license is good for 10 years where it needs to be renewed, but without taking the tests, just the med exam.

On the 10 years validity, please be careful if you are over a certain age, medical exams (eyes and blood pressure mostly, so very very easy but needed)

cdw057 wrote:

On the 10 years validity, please be careful if you are over a certain age, medical exams (eyes and blood pressure mostly, so very very easy but needed)

In my own country, the UK, we don't need any of those medical tests until 70 years old.  After 70, it's a simple test to see if you are still capable.  If there is something wrong, you're expected to declare it yourself. 

My dear old Dad, in his mid-90s, is still driving and passes the annual tests easily!   

Seems a bit fussy here.

cdw057 wrote:

You are correct, to be more specific:
Medical fitness
If you wish to renew an EU driving licence, you must undergo a medical fitness examination at the time intervals set out below (these intervals may be reduced at the discretion of the competent medical body according to the applicant's medical condition):

Categories A, A1, A2, AM and B - every 10 years up to the age of 50, every 5 years between the ages of 50 and 60, every 3 years between the ages of 60 and 70 and every two years after the age of 70.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/v … dex_en.htm

Indeed, more a formality, still better to follow the rules, I do (and did). I personally think it is a good thing, having said that even if health is good many drivers create danger. (But admittedly if sight is horrible better not be on the roads, but losing capabilities to access traffic is also not good (difficult and tricky to assess (for many of us mobility with a car is important (indeed also for me and not being able to drive would be quite a set-back))

cdw057 wrote:

Indeed, more a formality, still better to follow the rules, I do (and did). I personally think it is a good thing, having said that even if health is good many drivers create danger. (But admittedly if sight is horrible better not be on the roads, but losing capabilities to access traffic is also not good (difficult and tricky to assess (for many of us mobility with a car is important (indeed also for me and not being able to drive would be quite a set-back))

The number of drivers I see here that should be required to take the test again is considerable.   That's on top of any health matters.  People don't pay attention, cut corners, aren't aware of the conditions around them, drive too fast etc.

Quite a few of my in-laws cannot drive (aged say, 65-80+).   I don't know why they don't drive.   They just take the bus and walk which is probably greener but in older age, it seems a bit strange not to be able to do it.

Some younger ones on my own side cannot drive either.  I am truly stunned that this is something considered optional.  It's a rite of passage.

My own Fluffyettes are being encouraged to get the test passed as soon as they are 18.  It's a life skill they will have forever - like riding a bike and they never forget.

Good summary from Fluffy, I think most can observe this, Fluffy is more explicit than I am and on this topic we want to express the same.

fluffy2560 wrote:
cdw057 wrote:

The number of drivers I see here that should be required to take the test again is considerable.   That's on top of any health matters.  People don't pay attention, cut corners, aren't aware of the conditions around them, drive too fast etc.

Quite a few of my in-laws cannot drive (aged say, 65-80+).   I don't know why they don't drive.   They just take the bus and walk which is probably greener but in older age, it seems a bit strange not to be able to do it.

Some younger ones on my own side cannot drive either.  I am truly stunned that this is something considered optional.  It's a rite of passage.

My own Fluffyettes are being encouraged to get the test passed as soon as they are 18.  It's a life skill they will have forever - like riding a bike and they never forget.

Only takes one accident to learn how to drive defensive.
I'd rate myself as a decent/good driver, my husband a bit better then average due to his training and working as a professional driver in all weather conditions. I'm not a big fan of winter driving, actually won't do it. Tried once on the highway in snowy NM and decided to just get off the highway and go home while I was still in once piece.
Rain is not a biggie for me but snow and ice is.
Even so once we drove up to Big Bear in Ca. and we hit a patch of black ice and our Saab spun around like crazy. ( front wheel drive) So glad my hubby knew how to handle the situation.
Most people would crash, know I would for sure.
Sorry to say I think they will have driverless cars pretty soon. Sad really, the feeling of freedom while driving is fantastic.

Hello, I have a question about the surrendering part. If I surrender my Canadian license to obtain a Hungarian one, what do I use when I go back to Canada for long holidays? They don't recognize Hungarian driver's licenses.

Thanks!

Hello, I have a question about the surrendering part. If I surrender my Canadian license to obtain a Hungarian one, what do I use when I go back to Canada for long holidays? They don't recognize Hungarian driver's licenses.
Thanks!
-@McExpater

Why isn't it?

Thanks!
-@McExpater

I think they do because it's an EU model licence now in HU.

I've driven with my UK (EU model pre-Brexit) licence in Canada and no-one said a thing at the car rental place.

BTW, both Hungary and Canada are signatories to the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic.  You'll need an IDP (International Drivers Permit) that meets the convention either with a HU or CDN license depending which country you are in. You need to carry both the country licence and the IDP together.

You just need an international driving permit.