Holiday Season here in DR.

Happy holidays to all and Planner is right.  Do ALL of your food shopping by noon or so on Wednesday other wise pack a lunch and water to eat while waiting to check out :D

Bob K

Freedom55  almost all the restaurants in town are having special meals.  No large party that I know of.

Bob K

Our 10th Xmas here and each one gets busier and more active. 

Be VERY careful on the roads.  Especially late Xmas day and the day after. 

Bob K

We are arriving late afternoon on Monday... the weather gods be willing....  looking forward to a great time  and very conscious of getting our main grocery shopping done at Janet's quickly... but i still plan to make a trip to the store later just to see the chaos.   After all that's part of what makes this place so fun.

Yes, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to everyone...I just realized I joined about a year ago...and back then we had just been to DR once in an all inclusive in Punta Cana, and were so intrigued to return and ACTUALLY see some of DR...and now we have a little house and some lots of our very own...this forum IS simply the best source of information...and I plan to keep sharing my newbie experiences for others to A) remember being there and laugh, or B) shed some light for those on similar paths...

And, for one more question pertaining to Christmas Season in DR...I'm flying in at like 4:30 AM on Sunday, Dec. 27th...should I assume there will be nothing open??  Should I instruct my husband to buy all our groceries by latest Tuesday or Wednesday?

Tiredofsnow, so you get off on seeing others in chaos? Don't enjoy it too much because living here sooner or later you will find yourself immersed in it too. Then it is not so much fun. But have no fear, we all must travel that path. Yes, it is a part of life here, but not when it is your chaos.  Do not make light of the plight of others or you will join "The Gringos".   Relax, laugh, absorb the the culture with all its foibles, the systems with all the drawbacks & have fun, but never at the expense of others.  I may have read too much into your pleasure of observing "chaos", I hope I have. If so, forgive my intrusion, if not, learn from it. Anyone else reading this, if the shoe fits, take them off & go barefoot, more in touch with life that way.   BUT, most of all, WELCOME to to this marvelous island.    Just a medium fart from the Tuba.  Read old threads to know what & who I am.  Lots of luck in your new adventure.,

brodies2013 you should have no problem on Sundays other than the roads being crazy as everyone heads home after visiting relatives and friends.  Stores that are normally open on Sundays as well as other businesses will be open on Sunday the 27th as well.

Welcome to the island life

Bob K

Tiredofsnow enjoy your holiday here and you will observe that Christmas is a holiday of "family".

Bob K

I love going to watch the chaos when I in fact don't need to buy anything. There is something very enjoyable about watching frantic shopping because they didn't get it done earlier..........

Here the story is a bit different: some  do not have refrigerators or they don't work really well.   There is often no option but to shop last minute!   In their case I feel bad for them,  but rest assured they are in the holiday spirit and understand:  it is what it is....

It is going to the upscale malls that I enjoy.  Its like being back in North America, watching the last minute shoppers who procrastinated and now have their backs against the wall! 

And Christmas is much more about the family dinner and much less about "presents"!   Its the grocery stores that are insane, Pricesmart,   Plaza Lama, La Sirena, Jumbo,  Nacional, Super Pollo etc etc.

Also many here do not exchange gifts till three kings day in January.

Bob K

Gift giving removed from Christmas...I like that...I sooooo wish Christmas could be just about a big family dinner and hanging out together...rather than presents, presents, presents!  When we spend two weeks next Christmas there...I'm going to start a new family tradition!

I like this idea :D:D:D

Bob K

But for Christmas everyone needs new clothes to wear.....LOL  and then again for New Years Eve

And if you are a Dominican woman it is pretty easy as no need to go and try clothes on.  Just find something you like buy it.  As you wear the same size you did at 16 regardless of age or body shape :D:D:D:D:D

Bob K

Hahahahaha  so they think Bob. 

I went to Santo Domingo yesterday, partly work and partly personal. What a ZOO!!!!!  Fascinating to watch the people spend their money. And of the course the stores have their same  level of  staffing,  same level of crappy service.  One store had a line up at the cash register 50 deep and  2 cashiers on staff and that was  before 10 am!  Imagine later in the day....  no thanks.

We had heavy  heavy  rain mid to late afternoon,  I actually had to wait for the rain to clear so I could see to get home.......

Yes lots of rain here as well.  I have an infinity pool :D and green gardens. 

Bob K

Well this is interesting,  the  government is forcing all big trucks off the road from  Christmas eve day at noon until  Sunday at  10 pm,  then again on  New Years Eve day at noon  Monday Jan 4th! 

They are doing this to make the roads safer.  It is done every year during Easter week (Semana Santa)  and it really does help!

Not sure it really helps as most of the accidents involve motos, cars, and overloaded passenger pickup trucks.  Having the big rigs off the roads just lets you drive faster.

Bob K

Those big rigs are dangerous too Bob.  They often cause accidents -  especially the highway between Puerto Plata and  the Navarrete Santiago turn off.   

It includes all trucks bigger than a pickup  not just the big rigs.   Only ones allowed are essential services,  like water trucks. 

This is the first year I know if, where this has been applied at Christmas and New Year, many companies are scrambling now!!!  Our fuel supplier is having fits trying to figure out how to handle this.

I suggest everyone make sure your vehicles are fueled up!!!!  Some stations will run out I am sure.

My rule of thumb is 1/2 a tank of fuel means it is empty and time for a fill up

Bob K

Me too Bob,  you never want to get stuck somewhere and run out!!!!!

You can always stop at one of the small colmados and buy a pint of gas in an old oil bottle :D:D:D:D

Bob K

Hahahahaha so true....

Update on the heavy truck ban -  excluded now are fuel trucks (hello!)  and  perishable foods!  But the rest are banned.

See some on is thinking.  I assume that water comes under this provision as well.

Bob K

Sure does Bob.

rain

Thats a nice cuca TexasDonkey

Rain??? Did we have rain yesterday???
Only about 3 inches here in the Sosua area

Bob K

Wow,  a bit of rain here in La Romana but not much.  Careful of the mosquitoes now kids....

:D Yep I have switched to Ode de DEET as my preferred body lotion these days :D

Bob K

we had much rain in Puerto plata. we have our mosquito rackets ready

Love those mosquito rackets.

Bob K

So...still on my way down...crossing g my fingers that all flights go as planned...is there a reason I have to fly to NYC from Orlando to get to Santiago?!...weird...so excited to spend new year's eve with hubby in our little house on the hill! And it's really a house now...with toilets and hot water and...well water! Eishockey me luck!

You will be here before you know it!

Bob K

Funny Bob K. !!! eat a spoon of molasses everything morning ! it really works !

Okay... In the spirit of spending more money,  can someone verify if/where there is a corripio in sosua or Puerto Plata  area?  We're  coming to buy a pool pump and washer and hit la sirenas... Corripio  seems to have a good deal on a washer... Where else to go and look for a washer would also be helpful... Thanks! I'm here!!!!

That I probably your best bet and it is about 5 min from la Sirena .

There is a great pool supply store also on the way into town. If you go past the court house and stay on that street about 1/2 mile  up on the right you will see a small shopping center (one end of the building is round in shape).  On the first floor is a  large pool and kitchen store.  Chlorine is really cheap here as well.  When I buy my chlorine here (pucks) I get them 100 at a time and pay 30 pesos a puck (la sirena has them at 45 a puck).

Good luck

Bob K

What's  the name of pool store?

El Millon
is on Calle 27 de Febrero is 5 streets south of la serina. That's in Puerto plata. Right down from Bon.They have an English speaking Frenchman in back. Not sure if that the one Bob means butthey sell pool stuff. I can walk there from my house