Ladies I got good news for you..

kzm40 wrote:
Prince Panda wrote:
Alisan wrote:

Kids can drive, but  women can not!!

I think the men should be banned from driving too!

Seriously, putting all the cultural prejudices that Saudi men have against women aside, I just can't see women driving anytime soon from a logistics point of view. I mean another 1,000,000 drivers on the road with the current traffic!

But they're already on the roads.... Just with hired drivers!!

A very good point KZM. Drivers, brothers, husbands..., someone is getting them somewhere.

MadMaz wrote:
kzm40 wrote:
Prince Panda wrote:

I think the men should be banned from driving too!

Seriously, putting all the cultural prejudices that Saudi men have against women aside, I just can't see women driving anytime soon from a logistics point of view. I mean another 1,000,000 drivers on the road with the current traffic!

A very good point KZM. Drivers, brothers, husbands..., someone is getting them somewhere.

But women on the road...I mean mothers driving sisters, daughters, aunts, sisters driving grannies, daughters driving lazy siblings, female traffic cops, a zillion more drivers on King Fahd Rd its tooooo much n dangerous ARGGHHH

My driver onerstepped the speed limit on Aruba Road and I had to pay a fine of SR 300 which was reported to me after  days as an sms on my mobile phone. I spent 4 days trying to pay the fine this week and finally managed to do so on Wednesday.

First, the SAMBA e-Government SADAD payment function on the Sambaonline website was rejecting the transaction saying "Transaction failed". On calling the toll free SAMBA hotline I was told to try after 2 pm and that it was a SADAD system problem. No luck. After 2 days I went across to a SAMBA ATM at the Kingdom Mall. Transaction Failed again. To my surprise there were about 6 other customers in front of the ATM also waiting t pay traffic violations fines like me. Everyone was pissed off. I even walked up to the Customer Service Officer of the Bank at the Kingdom Branch and he could not help. He even asked to go and pay it at the Traffic Police Department. That was cheeky. Those jokers would have probably asked me to go to a bank and pay the fine. Thats whats calledc he Riyadh Roustabout.

Finally, on Wednesday, at 11 am the SAMBA online system finally responded as I made one last ditch attempt to pay the damn fne before it gets inflated to SR 500 which I understand is the max limit for such offences.

Anyway, my poor drives is poorer by 300 SR this month.

kzm40 wrote:

Seriously, putting all the cultural prejudices that Saudi men have against women aside ...

But I don't think it's cultural prejudice against women.  I think that the Saudi men fear their women and have tried desperately to keep them under their (the men's) control. Controlling freedom of movement is a big step in that direction.

Having a law that makes it legal for a man to hit a woman (presumably a husband his wife, but I'm sure a brother can slap a sister or a son his mother, if he can 'justify' it) is another attempt at control (basically, "be good [ie. do what I tell you] or I'll beat you").

The sad fact of the matter--and this is just my opinion, in fact, everything I ever say is just my opinion lol--is that  in  the need to feel superior, they must have a group to feel superior to. This explains the rampant racial discrimination, as well.

Now, what I said above doesn't apply to  every Saudi guy and I'm sure  it's not a conscious thing--they are just part of this society, it's what they  know, and they've never questioned it (because, as we know, the system here doesn't exactly encourage questions ;) )

BTW, if any of you think what I've said above is too incendiary for the blog, I have no problem deleting the post and contining the discussion in private.

Alliecat wrote:

I think that the Saudi men fear their women

Who doesn't :)

Alliecat wrote:

BTW, if any of you think what I've said above is too incendiary for the blog, I have no problem deleting the post and contining the discussion in private.

BTW I made the quote previously not kzm40, I don't want him getting credit for my work :D You merely misplaced the quote tags, as an IT nerd who knows HTML I find this unacceptable lol.

I would probably agree with you that Saudi lads fear the ladies, perhaps your comments were more specific than mine. Abusive behaviour towards one's wife is certainly not from Islam, and only tolerated in a few Muslim countries. In Yemen if sth like this happened, there would be tribal war!

I did not know the meaning of incendiary so I google'd it and the first entry is the movie Incendiary "An adulterous woman's life is torn apart when her husband and infant son are killed in a suicide bombing at a soccer match"....Yipes!! Anyway I know the actual meaning now.

p.s. MM wouldn't Rajhi be better for fines?

so...you learned a new word. Excellent :lol:

And as for my misquote, my apologies--you certainly do deserve all the credit ;)

Prince Panda wrote:
MadMaz wrote:
kzm40 wrote:

But women on the road...I mean mothers driving sisters, daughters, aunts, sisters driving grannies, daughters driving lazy siblings, female traffic cops, a zillion more drivers on King Fahd Rd its tooooo much n dangerous ARGGHHH

You're right of course, I just wonder how the other more civilised countries cope.. :rolleyes:

Alliecat wrote:

so...you learned a new word. Excellent :lol:

And as for my misquote, my apologies--you certainly do deserve all the credit ;)

Indeed he does ;)

Alliecat wrote:
kzm40 wrote:

Seriously, putting all the cultural prejudices that Saudi men have against women aside ...

But I don't think it's cultural prejudice against women.  I think that the Saudi men fear their women and have tried desperately to keep them under their (the men's) control. Controlling freedom of movement is a big step in that direction.

Having a law that makes it legal for a man to hit a woman (presumably a husband his wife, but I'm sure a brother can slap a sister or a son his mother, if he can 'justify' it) is another attempt at control (basically, "be good [ie. do what I tell you] or I'll beat you").

The sad fact of the matter--and this is just my opinion, in fact, everything I ever say is just my opinion lol--is that  in  the need to feel superior, they must have a group to feel superior to. This explains the rampant racial discrimination, as well.

Now, what I said above doesn't apply to  every Saudi guy and I'm sure  it's not a conscious thing--they are just part of this society, it's what they  know, and they've never questioned it (because, as we know, the system here doesn't exactly encourage questions ;) )

I am afraid to write this but i couldn't agree more :unsure

Prince Panda wrote:

p.s. MM wouldn't Rajhi be better for fines?

I dont bank with Rajhi. Been with SAMBA for decades since I started working for them in 1979.

I will always respect Rajhi bank, I cashed my first pay cheque with them then I went to Samba.

Samba has the most stunningly beautiful saudi ladies in all the ladies branches I have been to.