New to forum and visiting Cuenca and Quito in late December

We are considering retirement to EC and will visit in late December.  Are there good places, especially in Cuenca, to meet English speaking expats?  My wife and I don't drink or smoke so some locations might not be comfortable.

We are also interested in knowing about social indescretions that are offensive to Ecuadorians.

Welcome to Expat-blog, Steve and Sandy :)

Hi Steve and Sandy!

Most of the organized expat evenings are in bars. However, Edd Staton eddsaid.blogspot.com/) started a dinner on Tuesdays at 5:00 at Di Bacco. I haven't gone yet (it started last week), but its more of a dinner thing.

There are also lots of expats in the California Kitchen (letseat.at/californiakitchencuenca) or Kookaburra Cafe (kookaburracafe.typepad.com/blog/).

El Nomad holds cooking classes every Tuesday and have a good expat gathering there (elnomad.com/cookingclasses.php). They also have free Spanish/English conversation evenings on Monday and Wednesday evenings at 7:00 where you can meet other expats.

I hope this helps! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about where to stay, what to see and do while you're here, etc.

Becca

Becca, thanks for the shout-out.  Look forward to meeting you.  Steve and Sandy, she's right, at the two main expat "events," the one I recently started on Tuesday and Zoe's on Friday, sometimes copious amounts of alcohol are consumed but the focus at both is fellowship.  Please come to either or both while you're here.  You will discover that an amazing group of expats that will help you in any way we can.

Social indiscretions?  Be humble, be kind, and you'll be fine.

Hi All--Are there any private schools for English speaking children in Cuenca?

Hi ebai! Maybe you should start a new discussion on the Ecuador forum? Thank you and good luck.

Greetings - happy to help any way if I can.  I am also re-locating to Ecuador, and am looking to help others do the same thing.  What area are you re-locating to?  Foch Plaza is the "gringo" area of Quito, and if you are in Cuenca, e-mail me and I'll ask my husband.  He lives there, and did indicate there is an area of town with a lot of native English speakers.

In general, to answer your culture awareness question, Ecuador is a very slow moving country, and any hurriedness or impatientness is rarely considered acceptable.  Ecuadorians generally use "tiempo ecuatoriano" or "ecuadorian time" meaning everything is 25 minutes or so behind schedule.  If you are big planners or schedulers, or are frustrated when things are running late, this may take an adjustment.  (I bring a book with me everywhere I go!)  From what I have heard, Ecuador still practices the afternoon siesta.  As I understand, this is not necessarily the afternoon nap-time that we expect, but more of a family-time in the middle of the day.  Other general common-sense kind of stuff (greet someone with a "buenos dias" or "buenos tardes" before asking someone a question, that kind of stuff, etc.) applies, but just use your best judgment.  It is always helpful to pick up a little Spanish before you go, just as a sign of respect.  Ecuadorians are very patient and kind.  They will be understanding and helpful as much as they can.

If you have any particular questions, just e-mail me.  Because I am moving there soon too, I am also interested in getting to know others relocating to the area.  I hope my limited information was helpful.  Take care!

-Megan

My family and I have been living in Cuenca for over a year. Kathleen and I have put together a 14 page HELPFUL FACT REPORT that might be useful.

[email protected] to request a copy.

Charles

Hi Barret,

How nice of you to offer help to other expats!

Maybe it would be a good idea to write a few articles in our interactive guide for life in Ecuador?

Thanks in advance for your participation and have a nice day further ;)

Arlette