A few questions on moving to Ecuador

Hi all!

My hubby and I are thinking of moving to Cuenca next year. I am trying to do some research and Love what I have found on Cuenca and Ecuador in general.

We lived in Brazil in the late '70's so my questions are based on that experience. Not in any order"

1) What items are you allowed to take in your container when moving? When we moved to Brazil we were allowed 1 (one) each of electronic type items = 1 TV, 1 radio etc. Times have changed and we now have cell phones and DVD's to add to this list. We have 3 TV's, 4 computers etc.....Is this a problem to bring ALL of our appliances? or are containters limited to 1 each?

2) In Cuenca can you buy PC software anywhere? Or a new fridge, TV and furnishings in general?

3) What are the requirments for a permenant visa? Steady income from something like Social Security or $xxx in the bank etc?

I have read blogs and looked at sites but didn't find answers to the above questions.

Thank you in advance for info or links to a site I may have missed with this info.

Pam

Your international mover can answer a lot of those questions.  You can buy your appliances here, depending on what you want.  A side by side refri at SuperMaxi start at around $1,200 and climb right up there.  Quality for quality appliances here are more expensive.  A $450 stove in my house in the States was around $900 here.  Or you can buy local made appliances.  Software is very cheap here.  Just not able to register it for updates etc.  Movies are also very plentiful and cheap.  US Customs might have a problem with them if you try to bring them back.

I think you have to show $800 per month for one person and $100 for the second.  Generally speaking SS will handle that.  My attorney tells me that the Retirement Visa is the easiest to get.  I can tell you if that's true in November.

HTH, Mike

Thanks Mike - I really appreciate the reply and the answers. I continue to do research and know I will get more answers when we visit before making final plans.

Thanks again - Pam

As for PC Software, it is easily available in Ecuador, it is often copied and available for very cheap on the streets...

Saludos, Dom

I have lived in Quito for over 16 years, I am happy to help with any questions you might have about the country.  Patrick

I can help you with information about moving household goods duty free once you are a permanent resident. Go to

expatexchange.com/lib_rd.cfm?articleid=3521&networkid=39

for an article I wrote in ExpatExchange.com

I hope it helps.

Dr. Rene Torres
Ecuador Logistics

In Ecuador you also cannot bring multiples of many items because they don't want you reselling things.  You'll need to find a reputable shipper in the states to assist you and also have someone here in Ecuador who accepts your goods when they arrive in Ecuador.

I haven't shipped anything here but friends have and the reviews are mixed--some really great and some horror stories of belongings sitting in the dock and costing money every day but no movement.

You will also have to have all belongings itemized on a list to be checked when they arrive.

My understanding is that it can be quite as expensive to ship goods from your home to the U.S. port as it is to ship from the U.S. to Ecuador, so choose your port carefully.

You need a resident visa to stay more than a few months.  You can invest $25,000 per person or $25,500 per married couple for an investment visa in either land, a house or bank account in an Ecuador bank.

You can also get a retirement visa if you can prove steady income.  I think it's $800 per month plus $100 for each dependent. So Soc Security may work for you.

There are work visas and others but these two are the easiest and most popular for expats.

Appliances are available here, a wide range of quality and costs.  You can buy American brands like Maytag, Kitchen Aid, but they are higher than in the U.S.

Check out our website for free information on all these topics -- Pro-Ecuador.com and our Living in Ecuador blog   blog.pro-ecuador.com

1)  We brought multiple TV's & computers with no problem.  It's more about the way your container is loaded than what's in it.  Inquire if interested.
2)  You can buy pretty much anything here.  US brands are WAY expensive because of Correa's import taxes.  Doesn't sound like you need much anyway.
3)  The standard visas are retirement, real estate purchase, investment in CD's, & corporation visas.  We chose the latter and we chose to ship our belongings, and we're very happy with those decisions, but both of these areas are highly personal and dependent on your individual situation.

I recommend that you read Larry Marhler's blog

We are planing to move to Cuenca in a couple of years from now(2010)We bought an apartment there and saving to move in 2012 .My question is how much does it cost to register a 2008 Impala in Ecuador (a car can be up to 4 years old to qualified in the manaje).
Thanks.
Sergio

Hi Pam;
My wife and I are planning to move next spring as well.
Accoding to the book i bought you need a montly income from So Security or pension of $800 plus $100 for spouse.
Household goods duty free, one each domestic appliances (washer dryer) however max of two tv's. This is per visa holder so if it's worth the trouble of two seperate packing lists and inventories this can be doubled.
Hope this helps.

Larry Rubenstein 
[email protected]

Hi Pam;

Congrats on your decision to make Ecuador your new home. I see many have answered the questions you asked so I wont be redundant.
On one of your trips to Ecuador come and visit us on the coast.
Vista Pacifica sits on the Pacific coast between Jama and Pedernales. We have pristine beaches and a laid back lifestyle, but with all the modern conveniences you need.
I see you live in Florida as do I part time.
If I can help with any other information please let me know.

Larry

The office of Ecuador (CAE) requires that all immigrants make a detailed list of your belongings. Specify the number and content box as detailed as possible.

there are companies that I can not name in this blog because no advertising is allowed, it professionally handle these formalities. Please take care when choosing who will handle your belongings.

(moderated : off topic)

Pam

As someone coming to Ecuador wanting to become residents, you are entitled to bring pretty much what you want. About the only restriction I can think of as of July this year was on cell phones. You will likely be best served to get one there.

As for appliances, especially washer/dryer, refrigerator, microwave, and smaller counter top appliances, I would still recommend bring those, paying attention to consumer reports for the most reliable brands.

Are those things available in Ecuador? There are national brands by Ecasa and others, and they are expensive. Will the difference in cost to put those things in a container or buy them locally be economical and efficient? Since Ecuador either imports or assembles those items, since raw materials for actual manufacture are unavailable, and warranties for repairs may be difficult to execute, dependability may become the deciding factor.

As for securing a resident visa, proof of either a verifiable pension of $USD 800 monthly plus an additional $100 for each dependent is required, or a deposit of $25,000 with the Central Bank, that can possibly be used for the purchase of real estate later on.

The time to obtain a resident visa can vary dependent on whether you obtain it on your own, or through an attorney. Just be prepared to get many documents certified by your Ecuadorian Counsel such as the last 3 months of bank deposits, your pension papers, and all your personal documents. That will have to be done in Miami and they will take their sweet time as a rule from my experience.

A car will have to be the current year, whereas in the past it could be up to 4 years old. I believe that changed this year.

Hope this is helpful.
Alan
Ecuador Wonders

What are the roads like, and do they have any motorcycle shops there other than Harley-Davidson shops, I currently ride a Victory(Polaris) Vision and would like to know if I can purchase one there?

Kurt.....

Kurt

The roads in Ecuador, at least major highways, are wonderfully paved and in great shape. Secondary roads are what you might expect. Not such good shape and in need of repairs. And of course there are still plenty of dirt roads, some better than others.

As far as motorcycle repair shops they are all over the place. This is a major source of transportation so there are shops for Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and brands never heard of. What is always a note of caution concerns the quality of the work. As always, it's best to check with other bikers to find out where the best mechanics are.

If riding a bike in the U.S. is dangerous, it is much more so in Ecuador. In the sense there is little or no consideration given on the road. By the same token, bikes pay little attention to traffic and constantly weave in and out, worsening the situation. It is survival of the "fastest!"

While traffic has become much more manageable in regard to traffic lights, when vehicles are in motion it's still somewhat of a crap shoot. This applies primarily in Quito and Guayaquil where traffic is heavy. Not so much in other cities.

On the highways it's more of anything goes, and you never know what to expect from trucks and buses. Where these are concerned it should always be on the side of caution.

There are numerous name brands of cycles in Ecuador, and many that are unfamiliar to a non-bike rider such as myself. I have seen some exotic brands such as Bugatti, Husqvarnas, Moto Guzzi, and a few others. What's difficult to say is if there is a specific dealer. Someone brings them in!

Hope that's helpful.
Alan

Read this blog and it will tell you about real life on the ground.  A hilarious adventure that will give you what you need to know about traveling in Ecuador.  atruetalltale.wordpress.com