Moving to Ecuador.

Good evening everybody.im Stuart,im 32 and i am thinking to move to Ecuador.
I met a girl on the internet through a spanish learning related site,who introduced me to this country.Ive always been onr to get up and go,and i have th idea in my head now to go there to see whats its like.
Am i mad to be considering such a move?I find it hard to trust people,but are Ecuadorians good people generally?
And how much money would anybody reccomend me taking,bearing in mind i wont have any job or accomadation to start with.
Is this a wise move or should i just leave it as a fantasy?
PLEASE HELP.

Definitely come down and test the water ~ and yes, an ATM card is the way to go for cash access.

You will need to know a bit of Spanish to get around but the way it is spoke here is easy to understand and as languages go it is easy to pick up enough to get by.

I agree with the comments of the previous poster, although there are exceptions to every rule.

This is summertime so a great time to visit and I hope you do come check out this country.  You don't need a special visa to stay for 3 months (90 days)and that will give you a good chance to travel and see if you like it.

Susan

Hello all I'm Alexander and I live in the US and Bahamas (retired military). I am also looking to relocate to Ecuador but for different reasons! I visited Quito in 1998 and fell in love with the culture and the people and am looking to fulfill a fantasy of my own.  I would like information on the cost of living as I am a single man who doesnt mind spending less on living accomodations and the rest of my buget on travel and entertainment.  I would plan to teach english in the local community to supplement my income(if possible).  Where is the cheapest place to live as far as renting in Ecuador?  Can I stay longer than 180 days without trying to get residency?  Are there any expats that would be willing to help out with my transition? 
Thanks for the help!
Cheers

Hello there I am a retired Postal clerk. I help other expats like myself with finding a rental, hooking up you utilities, driving you around etc. Email me at [email protected]

If you have decided, or are deciding, to make Ecuador your home, the team at RSE would like to help you.
There are many questions Americans have when moving to Ecuador. One of those is; “How do I get my household goods to Ecuador, and what can I bring?” The team at RSE will help answer these questions.
You may hear horror stories about some Expat's experiences in trying to ship their personal items to Ecuador; stories like getting their items stuck in customs in Guayaquil for months, having to pay $60 a day storage fees and ending up with the storage fees being more than the original shipping costs, as well as putting up container deposits of $700 to $2000 and not having it returned, being told it would cost $9,000, to end up being charged $14,000 to $16,000.
RSE will work to eliminate the worries and nightmares of getting your sentimental and cherished property to Ecuador.
RSE has professionals in Guayaquil to insure that your container passes through that port unopened. Instead, it will opened and inspected in Cuenca, Manta, or Quito at a private customs company, who has your best interest in mind.
RSE specializes in the Manta, Cuenca,  Loja  and Quito areas of Ecuador. Why worry about the bureaucracy of the Port of Guayaquil customs, when we can bring your personal cherished items directly to your home.
retire-in-ecuador.com/relocation.html

We found fast inexppences way to get a visa. A persona can have a visa in 15 days. Thsi visa allows a persoan to ship personal and business property duty free.
retire-in-ecuador.com/relocation.html

Stuart, I'm an Ecuadorian so I know what I'm about to say. Go there on a visitors visa and check out the place to see if you like it. Ecuadorians are good people regardless of what others may say. They are open to foreigners unlike other countries. You have to be able to recognize class and category to a point. Once you do the rest is simple. If you look for people in your level you'll do fine. Germans for instance in the past assimilated into Ecuadorian society and generations later only the German names remain. Of course they didn't create air tight expat communities for themselves. Hopefully, the next batch of expats will be as successful

stuisgroo wrote:

Good evening everybody.im Stuart,im 32 and i am thinking to move to Ecuador.
I met a girl on the internet through a spanish learning related site,who introduced me to this country.Ive always been onr to get up and go,and i have th idea in my head now to go there to see whats its like.
Am i mad to be considering such a move?I find it hard to trust people,but are Ecuadorians good people generally?
And how much money would anybody reccomend me taking,bearing in mind i wont have any job or accomadation to start with.
Is this a wise move or should i just leave it as a fantasy?
PLEASE HELP.

One has to take chances in life so if you do your homework and make enough contacts with expats, then after a few visits you will know if relocating is the right move for you. Good Luck!

Very interesting to read your blog. I live in Alberta, Canada and want out of this Rat-Race, ASAP. I'm 63, and will start collecting a monthly amount in pensions of about $1800/month, starting in about a year and a half. I am a bachelor, and otherwise "un-encumbered"....free to leave, anytime.

I've read all the glowing reports about the "good-life" in Cuenca, and Ecuador, in general. I have travelled abroad considerably, and am used to adapting to different standards of living. I must say, Ecuador almost sounds too good to be true.

I have just one question for you....and I would be most grateful for your response:

Would I be able to survive in Ecuador for
         the 18 months until I go on pension, on the 
         12 or 15 thousand dollars, that I can scrape together
         immediately?

In advance, much thanks for your help to a fellow "Ex-pat" blogger.

Yours truly,

Gregory Poirier