Any suggestion on how we get started to visit Ecuador

There is so much we know we do not know or understand. My husband and I are wanting to visit Ecuador  this  summer and are considering it a possible retirement place in the near future. (we are both in our 60's and work for the school system)  During my research, Quito, Cuenca,  Otavalo,  Cotacachi, Vilcabamba  are among those areas that keep coming to my attention of interest. and areas we would like to visit.  When I expressed my interest to my sister, she had concerns because of what the USA government articles on the Internet are saying about Ecuador are not positive.  (my concerns are  finding the truth and sorting though anything from anyone/anyplace who would be  bias because of the affected from the outcome...positive or negative)  From what I read, Ecuador sounds like a slow paced affordable paradise with just the need for common sense when it come to safety and patience when it come to getting anything done. We would like to be able to stretch our retirement income allowing us to live more comfortably in a less stressful environment.   We would welcome ane suggestions or information that would help us.  Books we should read, Internet sites we should visit,  expat communities we could connect with, where & how to travel  and visit, contacts we should make,  what we would need to bring to stay for a month, would a furnished apartment be the best way to visit to hellp get a real feel of the country (in Cuenca possibly) ?, etc.  I would truly appreciate  personal unbiased insight and any suggestions on what we need to know to make our own decisions about retiring in Ecuador.  We do not speak Spanish, will that be an issue to fully enjoy Ecuador and/or to consider it as a retirement place?  What are our options  and expense investment to have an Ecuador experience?  How much time do we need to invest?  What is the driving situation??? Should e rent a car or contract a driver and a car etc.?   How safe is the water to drink and how safe are foods  for visitors. While traveling and investigation different areas, are restrooms easily available...(my husband makes frequent stops)? My husband cannot walk for long periods of time and needs to sit and rest frequently, would that be an issue?(are there any handy-cap type of scooters for rent in the bigger market/visiting areas? ) How do we know what is needed? Cell phone communication, internet connection, passports and IDs needed, clothes, anything not easily bought that we would miss/need etc.  How do we get started on arranging a visit?  What is the best way to get questions answered?   Thank you,  Sue

Why don't you start reading all the posts, one x one, especially those extended where people argue. This will shed some real light for you on the situation. Then, ask questions.
P.S. How the hell Cotacachi keeps coming up as a retirement destination? I mean, a nice little town, definitely safer than Quito, where you can buy cheap t-shirts... but does it have a movie theater? Might be OK for those who want to get away from it all.

Hello Sue. I sent you a private message, every time I try to recomend a web site I get banned, so I sent the address on a private message.

There you can read a lot about Ecuador and Cuenca, there are some nice videos and a lot of information about Culture, Economics, Politics, Pricing, Visas and so on.

> jfgranda, we don't banned members for giving answers and links to other members!

Send me your email address, I would be happy to give you unbiased information about Ecuador. I spend one month here three years ago, and just moved here three days ago. I have been doing research for the last few years and have sorted through a lot of information about Ecuador.

Paul
[email protected]

My wife two boys have been living in Ecuador
For two years

We put together a 14 page Helpful fact sheet

[email protected]

Charles Barrett

Lots of good thought went into your post.  My wife and i are going through the same process.  We went to Ecuador last November to see for ourselves.  Mixed results in getting answers.  Best was from someone we met in the airport.  He had nothing to sell and gave us a mini-tour of Manta.
Not speaking Spanish can be a hurdle.  Look into maybe getting a Pimsleur Spanish course from your local library to get the basics. 
I think renting a furnished apartment for a month is an excellent idea but tough to do from here.  Not knowing the area names means searching the maps every time to figure out if the area is safe. Read posts and try to figure out who is giving you the best advice.  My experience tells me that almost everybody is trying to sell advice or looking to make money.  Many of the expats in Ecuador are in business, usually in real estate or investments.  Doesn't make them dishonest, just in business.  You will probably need one of them to help you get an apartment.  Still trying to figure that out ourselves.  We plan to rent for at least six months, possibly in different locations.
Transportation is an issue.  Be realistic.  Are you really good drivers?  How do you fare when aggressive drivers are around? How well do you find your way around?  My wife has driven in areas (Italy, Germany, Tehran) that are crowded with aggressive drivers and she had difficulty adapting. Roads are not always in great shape and signage is not the same as US.  This promotes confusion.  Even saw a tour bus turn onto a highway on the wrong side and he drove into oncoming traffic.  IF you slow down, you will be passed, regardless of the width of the road and oncoming traffic.  You need a good map, a navigator and nerves of steel.  But it is the best way to see the communities you visit.  Our auto trip was about 1000 km, only along the coast.  No clue about the Andes.
Make sure you bring ALL the personal toiletries, medications, first aid supplies you will need for your visit.  Not that you can't get them, but it can be difficult to find and often what you normally look at here is in Spanish there.  Clothing is not so much of a problem.  Weather is spring or summer with just a touch of fall when it rains.  Use common sense in packing.  We did a week with two small suitcases.
Good advice is to make a copy of your passport pages here and a copy of the Ecuadorian stamps there and carry only the copies when you go out. That and your US drivers license should suffice.
Cell phones from the US can work there. Check with your carrier.  There are free internet wireless connections at many hotels but not all. The bigger the hotel, the bigger the charge.  I have been told that getting an internet hookup in your home is relatively straight forward.  No experience there.
I would also like to address one other issue, where to go. Keep in mind that at nearly 2 miles up in altitude it is more difficult to function and there is less oxygen during exertion.  In Quito, I had some difficulty in breathing while walking up hills.  No problem on the coast. I have been told that staying in a high altitude environment, especially with exercise, can put a greater strain on the heart.  On the other hand, you must be aware of mosquito borne diseases on the coast during the rainy season and in the eastern lowlands.  Check with you doctor and the CDC. And read the current State Department and CIA travel warnings.  They do exaggerate slightly but the warnings can often be pertinent.  As you say, "Use common sense".
Best of luck in your search,
Ed

Ecuador - Safe or Unsafe?
By  Charles Barrett

The frequent question asked by friends of expats, expats and visitors to Cuenca, “Is it safe?”  The word “Safe” is a relative word, depending on what part of the world in which you live!  So those of us who live in Cuenca feel “safe” but we have also learned to exercise good common sense and caution.

There is crime in Cuenca (as you will find in certain areas of most large cities)!  Those of us living here have all heard of or even experienced petty crimes, the taking of money, jewelry, purses, or other personal property.  There isn't a person living here who doesn't think about those things when out and about the city.  In addition to being “vigilant” in observing those things around you, here are some additional “Dos and Don'ts”:

DON'Ts:
1.    Don't wear flashy jewelry or even fake jewelry that looks expensive - it makes you a target.
2.    Don't carry your back pack on your back. Carry it in the front and lock it.
3.    Don't store any valuables in over head bins on buses.
4.    Don't put your bill folds in your back pockets. 
5.    Don't carry all your identification, credit cards and money in your bill fold.  If you have to carry these things, try to use different pockets to lessen your loss if your pocket gets picked.
6.    Don't carry your passport around with you – leave in a secure locked up place in your hotel or apartment.
7.    Don't openly talk on the cell phone or text in public or at least not on the street.
8.    Don't lay your bags or purse down and then step out of the taxi to pay. Hold the items or pay before you exit.
9.    Don't walk down dark, seemingly deserted streets.
10.    Don't trust common locks on hotel doors.
11.    Don't hang your camera, purse, computer or back pack on your chair in a public place.  If you place it underfoot, put your foot through the strap.
12.    Don't pay the first price quoted you.

DOs:
1.    Do carry you computer and purse in front of you with strap over your head.
2.    Do carry color copies of your passport for identification purposes. (You may need notarized copies for certain visa requirements.)
3.    If you feel you are being followed or stalked, step into the nearest store or building.
4.    Do check your Taxi for Government Identification and numbers and working door handles before getting in.
5.    Do ask the price of a taxi before getting in – most rides around town should cost you $1.50 to $2.00.
6.    Do plan where you going and follow your plan.
7.    Do be careful of “cheap” hotels - a cheap hotel may not be cheap in the long run.
8.    Do make copies of all credit and ATM cards in case you need to call the companies.
9.    Do have the contact info for the nearest US Consulate in Ecuador in case you have problems

A friend recently had a worker steal his wife wedding ring while putting up new curtains in their apartment. They did not have proof of purchase so they could not file a police report.
When  shipping or bring your personal valuables to Ecuador;
1.    Take pictures of them.
2.    If possible bring original invoice
3.    Put you passport number on them
4.    Have them appraised if you don't have a bill of sale

For  a 14 PAGE FREE  HELPFUL FACTS REPORT ON ECUADOR email me at [email protected]

email me for more info and unbiased point of view.

Sue, my wife and I have several of the same questions regarding retiring in Ecuador.  I just saw your blog for the first time..Did you get any help from anyone.. Please share if you will.

Regards,

Tom and Jaudon

Hi,

My husband and I have been researching Cuenca, EC for a great while and have had (and still do have) lots of questions about just how easy is it to come to Ecuador for the first time..hoping to relocate if we like it as much as we think we will when we fly down there on April 12th for ten days.
By accident we came across a very interesting publication all about what you need to know before you go anywhere outside of the USA. It is called "44 Things You Must Know Before You Relocate, Retire or Invest Offshore.

The key to this site, where you can print out the entire publication is www.LiveandInvestOverseas.com.
There 31 plus pages.  Also, do keep up with the Ecuador Forum..Tells where the ex-pats hang out every Friday night.

Another site you might want to check out....... is "[email protected]"  A Mr. Charles Barrett will send you via email a 14 page report (free) about Ecuador.

If you would care to email us to follow us on our (Check out Cuenca) trip in April, feel free to do so at "[email protected]". This is my email addy and my name is Carole.

Good luck in your new adventures. We are in our late 70's and looking forward to a healthier lifestyle..and a more adventurous one.

Carole and Ray Walter  in Jacksonville, FL

Thanks Carole, we will check them all out.  Please keep us in your list to update how the visit in April goes.  We are going there in Oct.  We are 58 and 61 and not quite ready to move there yet, but want to check it out for sure.  My personal email is [email protected].  My name is Tom Dravis and my wife is Jaudon.

Be safe and please feel free to share whatever information you find.

Regards,

Tom and Jaudon

Good morning Tom & Jaudon,

Thank you for your message to us today.  We will definitely keep you informed as to what we find in Quito (landing there at 7pm staying overnight and have the next day until 0100 or so to see what is there before we take the "commuter" to Cuenca. And then,of course, Cuenca itself. Will take a lot of pictures.

We have a 20 page Report from International Living:  Colonial Cuenca: The World's #1 Retirement Haven". I could make a copy of it and share it with you if you so wished. It includes some of the best info we have discovered so far. Cost of living per month/year (roughly 15K a year including everything.); how to buy or rent a property, weather, the currency, the people, fun facts,,and on it goes. I think you both will find it helpful.

Have a beautiful day.

Carole

Hi Carole,

We are already hooked up with International Living, getting old publications printed as well as receiving the magazine.  Thanks for sharing the information.

Regards,

Tom and Jaudon

Welcome to Cuenca. If you need any other advise dont hesitate to send a pvt message.

:cool:OK, I will take you up on your advice offer. And thanks from us here in Jacksonville.  Is it the Eucalyptus Cafe where the Ex-Pats meet every Friday night? At 1700 hours?  I feel that we could probably get some insight if we attended an evening meeting everyone and getting to know Cuenca even more.

And is it true that we should really wait til we arrive to find a realtor/some knowledgeable person to guide us in the rental situation?  I know the rentals look beautiful on the Internet, but would be advisable to look at them in person?

If we found something that fit our needs and we just couldn't resist it, we might want to look further into obtaining it for future renting.  Anything there certainly does beat the prices  in FL..by a long shot.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give to us. Really do appreciate it.

Carole and Ray

JUST RESPONDED TO YOUR KIND OFFER FOR ADVICE.. YOU SAY SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE.  HOW DO I DO THAT?

CAROLE

Use private email or yahoo or whatever other email provider that you use.

Thanks

Tom

Hello CAROLE,

To send private message, you will have to click on the member profile, then Click "send a message". That all ;)

P.s. Please avoid cap lock lettering while posting on the forum.

Regards

Thank you for the information.  I appreciate the advice.:cool:

Carole

HI...from Jax huh...lived in Tampa many years. My wife and I have property on the coast and are making the move FULL time next month..I considered us to be residents of Ecuador as we have been going back and forth for quite a while and we find Ecuador very satisfying for our lifestyle. On our part of the coast we are far enough away yet close enough in to have most everything we need and desire. Depending on the lifestyle you are looking for may help you decide on an area. If you desire city living I would recommend Bahia de Caraquez as a port of entry to our part of the coast. For over 100 kilometers we have some of the most amazing secluded beaches left in Ecuador. There are those that like the cooler climates and want to come to the coast to visit, we just like it the other way around after living in Florida for so many years.

Hope that helped in some way. Any other information you might need let me know.

Larry

Larry,

Thank you for your great input. It is greatly appreciated.
We are inlove with Ecuador and we haven't been there yet ! Flying down to Cuenca on the 12th of April for 10 days to check things out and to see if that is the area we want to locate in. Personally, being from Maine, then Southern CA and now here, only 8 miles to 4 beaches, I might want to be near the coast.

Again, thank you for responding to my question. 
It helps a lot.

Carole

Hi My name is geovanny Im from ecuador i would like to help you out  in any way  and any time because i 'd like you and your family will have a wonderful time there .I can recomend you to visit cuenca especialy if you are looking for rest ypu will feel the diference of the air in the first breath there is soo clean. keep in touch.
best Geovanny

@larryp@vistapacificahomes

Hi, Larry: I am thinking of retiring in Ecuador early next year and hoping to visit before the end of the year.  I am and always have been a coastal person but thought I should maybe start my ex pat journey in Cuenca and venture out from there to decide where I would ultimately like to end up.  Wondering if you think that's a good idea or not, and also what part of the country you refer to with the undeveloped beaches?
@larryp@vistapacificahomes

Sorry, Larry, I just found Bahia del Caraquez on the map. I will definitely have to check out that area once in Ecuador

My wife and I went on this tour that focuses on people considering the move. We went all over Ecuador, learned a lot, met with expats, attorneys, realtors and more. Just the journey alone made this trip one of the best we've been on. Jonathan and his people go out of their way to make it a great trip.

ecuadorexpatjourneys