Cambodian Visa's - Essential Information

Joe,

I have arrived with a E visa ordinary also called business visa for a month. I have paid 35 dollars but this is a single entry. As I have to go out again in ten days, I Went to the immigration and asked if I can extend to have a multiple visa for 12 months. Unfortunately they said it is not possible for 12 months visa but a 6 months is possible without any justification. But not easy as normally they give a three month.

The issue here is if the next time I can't justify I create a company or a job I have to get out and come back. It can not be extended. The immigration guy told me this and told me is getting harder to get and a six month multiple visa . A 12 months is even impossible.

This also cost 238 dollars through a express agency for a 6 months visa. They also said if in six months I can't justify to open a company or have a job, I have to get out from Cambodia.

They have giving me a express visa extended company who can do this in a day. I just have to arrive before 9 am.

Any suggestion how to get a 12 months visa or longer ?
Because it is already taken two pages from my passeport as I travel a lot. This is a real issue.

Thks in advance

Unfortunately for you the EB extension needs proof of either employment or own business.
Officially only a 1 or 3 month extension goes without those rules.

If you want a 6 months extension there is the EG (general) extension, but only for one time and after the 6 months you have to show proof of employment or business, or leave the country.

The ER (retirement) extension is for people that are retired and receive pension money.

The only left possibility for 12 months is an ES (student) extension. But you need to apply for a course and show the papers to the immigration.

If you can get a 6 months EB now (as I understand from your post) do it, as after that you can get an extension EG for 6 months, so a total of 12 months.

If they are willing to give you 6 months EB (check it) then you are lucky. If they meant EG then it's the usual procedure.

Hope this clears up matters, good luck!

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

got it ! It's clear, I ll double check !

Thanks a lot

Perry

Hi Joe,

I double check and you are right! They propose a 6 months EG and not a EB! As it cost 230 dollars depending of the place you do, I'd rather go outside and get in with entering a EB again. This will cost me a lot of passeport paper !

$230 is a scam, knowing that a 1-year extension costs $295.

Excellent idea to just leave and come back, get a business visa for 30 days and then later extend.

I feared already that they did not offer you an EB 6 months extension.

Good luck!

Joe

You're fear is right ! As to the cost of 6 months EB visa for 230, you're again right. I am in my hotel and they proposed a  visa extension for 160 dollars for a six months renewal. I wouldn't do that now as I have to get out for work. Thks again

:top:

Hey guys I need some help, answers and clarity here....
I need to change me tourist visa to business visa asap which I heard I can't do within the country so therefore I need to go out and come back and apply on arrival so now my question is.....can I leave through the border of Cambodia quickly and turn around without entering another neighboring country and come back to apply the business (Ordinary) visa?
Your help, answers and clarity will be much appreciated..thanks

I actually do not know your nationality, i am from Ghana and i had same problem, i wanted to exit to Cambodia but was not allowed, Laos, no, Thailand, no. I tried Philinpines and was deported to Dubai and i am currently trying to sort this out before going back to Vietnam....I had options to try Bangladesh but i don't know if they going to allow me entry...Is mostly due to the APEC summit, and to my best of info, i can only enter vietnam after 15th Nov.
If you visa is close to 15th, you could risked overstaying, then i think you could be allowed entry into Cambodia.
You can also try Indonesia, i don't know if they will allow entry.
Good luck

I'm also from Ghana. I have been in Vietnam before but I overstayed my visa there so I came to Cambodia and got a job here. I have letter of employment so I just want to exit for a quick turn-round and come back to get an E-visa on arrival.
Anyway thanks for your information bro..God bless you and God bless Blacks

Are you called Nat?

CharlieOo wrote:

Hey guys I need some help, answers and clarity here....
I need to change me tourist visa to business visa asap which I heard I can't do within the country so therefore I need to go out and come back and apply on arrival so now my question is.....can I leave through the border of Cambodia quickly and turn around without entering another neighboring country and come back to apply the business (Ordinary) visa?
Your help, answers and clarity will be much appreciated..thanks

Hello.

Vietnam has no visa on arrival, so you need to get a visa on forehand.

Then Take the bus that crosses in Bavet, get out at the Vietnamese side and take a bus back to PP. The bus guy will collect all passports and go for the Cambodian visas, make sure you mention E or Business visa, costs $35.

That's the fastest and most popular border crossing.

As soon as you leave Cambodia you are in Vietnam, no way to turn around the Immigration office without entering Vietnam.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat--advisor
Expat.com team

Oh ok thanks bro!

This approach will only work for "westerners". If you're not a "westerner", they're not gonna issue you an E-Visa in Bavet without proof of employment.

I wonder why but it's fine.....I have the employment letter that's why I need to exit and come back but I was asking if I can do the exit quickly at the border without necessarily entering Vietnam and turn back to apply for the E-visa?...But I think Joe Khmer gave me his view so not sure if u have a different opinion?

I don't think opinion matters with immigration issues as they won't change the facts, and it's a fact that the immigration rules differ by nationality.

It's also a fact that an employment letter is not sufficient for all nationalities to be issued an E-Visa.

So if you want to rely on forum information rather than asking at the immigration office, chances are, you've gotta go to Vietnam twice... especially if you're from a country like India.

Yeah you've said the truth...I need to go to the main source which is the immigration office....thanks bro!

There is something else quite tricky: you are here on a tourist visa if I understand well, but you also have a job. That is not allowed. So depending on the officer you might have to answer a few questions.

Good luck.

I get your point that I might be questioned but what about those who also get a business visa on their first time of arrival without showing or having any documentation or genuine business.....all the same thanks!

Nobody gets a business visa on arrival. You get an E visa for 1 month (no docs required), then you apply for an extension and depending on your situation you can get a EB (business), ER (retirement), EG (general) or ES (student) extension of stay.

EB extension for 1 or 3 months need no docs, but is single entry
EB extension for 6 or 12 months need letter of employer and/or work permit

EG extension is for people searching for a job or starting their own business, 6 months. If not found a job or own business registered one has to leave the country.

ER extension is for retirees, over the age of 55 no need for proof, under 55 need proof of pension status and incoming money.

ES extension is for students, need proof of registration at a registered institute.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Yeah it does....I actually meant to say E-visa. Again thanks for your info.

Hi virity,
       I am a sri lankan and married a cambodian girl as well sence 5 months.
       As i heared there are no more any options to stay long time than one year. Even i married a cambodian i also stay here using business visa.and one of my friend married a cambodian girl sence 23 years now and has a 3 childrens born at cambodia but he also dont have at least any recident visa.he has job here and he stay with a work permit.
    If you are looking for stay long time here its better to apply work permit here..

Thank you

panthaka2k wrote:

Hi virity,
       I am a sri lankan and married a cambodian girl as well sence 5 months.
       As i heared there are no more any options to stay long time than one year. Even i married a cambodian i also stay here using business visa.and one of my friend married a cambodian girl sence 23 years now and has a 3 childrens born at cambodia but he also dont have at least any recident visa.he has job here and he stay with a work permit.
    If you are looking for stay long time here its better to apply work permit here..

Thank you

Hello Panthaka.

In fact there is no problem. You and your friend are working, have a work permit and a EB business Extension of Stay. This EOS is maximum one year, after that it can be extended. As long as you have a job you can extend year after year. This was never different, so nothing changed.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hello Joe,
       Can you help me to find the way to apply Permanent recident at cambodia (i am married a cambodian girl but under Srilankan law but certifyed my marriage certificate by forign ministry of srilanka and cambodia).
Thank you

Hello Panthaka.

From the Law on Nationality:

KHMER NATIONALITY/CITIZENSHIP BY MARRIAGE
Article 5:

A foreign man or woman who got married with a Khmer wife or husband, may demand for Khmer nationality/citizenship only if upon such man or women have been living together for a period of three (3) years, after registration of a marriage certificate.

A formality and procedure for the demand of Khmer nationality/citizenship, shall be determined by Sub-decree.

The grant of Khmer nationality/citizenship following the case of demand for it, shall be decided by Royal-decree.

So you have to have lived together with your wife in Cambodia for at least 3 years after registering.

I guess when the time is right you should inquire at the Ministry of Interior about the procedure.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

JoeKhmer wrote:

Nobody gets a business visa on arrival. You get an E visa for 1 month...

Thanks for your info. It's very helpful.
So if I understand, the best option for a self-employed/digital nomad to get a 6-12 months business visa is:

1) Get a E visa on arrival
2) Register a company for myself
3) Get a work permit (thanks to the company I created)
4) Apply for a EB 12 months visa

My goal is to set my residency here and pay tax here. So I need to be able to open a bank account.

But I read many time on forum that now most banks ask a work permit to open a bank account. Which in my case would be the egg and chicken problem.

What do you think?

As far as I know it's only ANZ bank that does that.
For sure Canadia and ABA bank do not ask for a work permit. I'm retired, have of course no work permit but still have a Canadia bank account.

So find your most convenient bank, take a Cambodian bank.

As a freelancer you need confirmation of your address by Immigration police, confirmation of you working at home, from Commune police, and a bank account showing money coming in.
As far as I know no work permit needed, in any case for an extension never a work permit is needed, what is needed for employees is a letter of the employer with an official stamp. Work permit is a matter of the Labour Ministry, where the extension is a matter of the Interior Ministry, Immigration Department. Two different Ministries, and different requirements.

Hope this helps.

Joe

HI

Actually, a well known agent in Kep asks for the Licence, Tax registration and 1 pic for the 12 month EB extension.

Cheers

marceloscorner wrote:

HI

Actually, a well known agent in Kep asks for the Licence, Tax registration and 1 pic for the 12 month EB extension.

Cheers

Agents ask for many things sometimes, and most of the time it's useless.
If one starts their own company such docs could be useful, but freelancers are treated differently, as they work from home.

The cases that have been forwarded and accepted had the documents I stated in my first answer re freelancers.
In case of employment only a letter from the employer (with stamp) is necessary.

It's possible that the Kep agent also works on obtaining work permits, but that is a totally different matter and has nothing to do with the extension of stay.

If more discussion develops, let's put it in another thread, as this one is purely about Cambodian visas.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

JoeKhmer wrote:
marceloscorner wrote:

HI

Cheers

Agents ask for many things sometimes, and most of the time it's useless.
If one starts their own company such docs could be useful, but freelancers are treated differently, as they work from home.

The cases that have been forwarded and accepted had the documents I stated in my first answer re freelancers.
In case of employment only a letter from the employer (with stamp) is necessary.

It's possible that the Kep agent also works on obtaining work permits, but that is a totally different matter and has nothing to do with the extension of stay.

If more discussion develops, let's put it in another thread, as this one is purely about Cambodian visas.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hi Joe,

I'm talking only about Visa.

My case is also treated as freelancer (skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore commercialy endorsed), no office, working from home, boat tours.

Cheers,
Marcelo

Thanks for your answer. It seems to be simpler than I thought. What paper do I need to confirm my address to the Immigration police ?

line2139 wrote:

Thanks for your answer. It seems to be simpler than I thought. What paper do I need to confirm my address to the Immigration police ?

In my case I'm renting a house.

Have asked the official contract to the owner. That was enough.

marceloscorner wrote:
line2139 wrote:

In my case I'm renting a house.

Have asked the official contract to the owner. That was enough.

Correct. The rental contract is the proof of residence.

Joe

Hello.

What are the agencies in Phnom Penh that you can recommend to help with Visa extension processing?
I'm from the Philippines and I don't need visa upon entry, however, I want to stay longer than 21 days or a month... probably 6 months to 1 year depending on how life goes on in Cambodia.

Get yourself an Ordinary visa at arrival, forget the 21 days free.

Only a visa can be extended, the free entrance is just that, 21 days for free but then leave the country.

If you have a Ordinary visa (not tourist) you can extend it without leaving the country, up to one year.

I know only one reliable agent, that is Lucky Lucky, google it for address and phone number.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Thanks Joe.

As a Filipino passport holder, they normally give us Touridt visa without question.
So, I just ask the immigration officer for the Ordinary visa upon arrival? They don't ask questions why you like the Ordinary visa? (Obviously, coz it's extendable, and I would like to stay longer)

Best regards.

You want to stay longer in the country, so you need an Ordinary (E) visa to have it extended up to one year. That's why I advised to ask for an Ordinary visa.

A tourist visa can be extended once for one month, then you have to leave the country.
A tourist visa CANNOT be transferred to an Ordinary visa, so you have to get the right visa on arrival.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Noted. Thanks Joe.

rainierjp wrote:

Noted. Thanks Joe.

:thanks:

Hello..
I already open a bank account at ABA bank.. They just need business visa. No need work permit.