'EG' VISA QUESTION for Cambodia

Hello I will be travelling to Cambodia soon and will ask for E (ordinary) visa on arrival.

I then wish to apply for the EG Visa for 6 months,

however...

I have a previous Cambodian Visa that was given to me 2 years ago whilst doing a border run from Thailand. The visa has expired but will I still be eligible for an EG visa?

If not can you extend the ordinary visa?

Thanks

-Nathan

Hello.

Any previous visas or extensions are not important, they are invalid now.

Other than some countries in SE Asia Cambodia does not have restrictions on how many times you can apply for a visa or extension.

So just come in on an Ordinary visa and extend it with a 6 months EG extension.
The EG (General) extension is meant for people seeking employment, so it could be possible that you have to sign a letter that the agent provides, about what kind of work you are looking for. That's all, no other docs required.

The Ordinary visa can only be extended with an E-type of extension (EG, EB, ER, ES) for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months, but the EG is max. 6 months.
The EG extension is multiple entry so during the 6 months you can leave the country and come back without any hassle.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Awesome thanks Joe

NathanTravels wrote:

Awesome thanks Joe

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

I am in Cambodia right now.  If you get a tourist Visa you cannot renew it after 30 days. If you get a ordinary Visa which is the same as a business Visa you can. Go to lucky lucky moto in Phnom Penh to get your Visa extended.  They are trustworthy and understand the complex visa situation.

Tallman.

The OP's questions were already answered to satisfaction of the OP.

On top there are more reliable agents than the one you mention.

Please stay on topic and don't post unnecessary info.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

I just got my EG visa renewed (multiple entry) for 12 months. It's all about who you know here. It cost $389

thefrumone wrote:

I just got my EG visa renewed (multiple entry) for 12 months. It's all about who you know here. It cost $389

That is $100 more than the normal price!

So you paid $100 to not go out and come in? Would have been cheaper to do a visa run.

Also check your passport, there is no such thing as a 12 months EG extension of stay, the max. is 6 months.

If it says 12 months you know it's fake and when caught you will be expelled and put on the blacklist.

Advise to everyone: stay within the rules, it's not complicated and saves a lot of money and trouble!

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Yes, I was aware of the $100 service fee. For me it's ok, I value time more than money. My mistake it is a EB visa.

thefrumone wrote:

Yes, I was aware of the $100 service fee. For me it's ok, I value time more than money. My mistake it is a EB visa.

Ok that clears the extension (not visa) question.

This thread is about EG extension of stay, so I wondered.

Cheers

Joe

where did you get your extension?

My visa here is EG visa valid for 3 months.. do I need to exit in cambodia to extend it?

Hello.

Yes, if you have no other reason to stay you have to leave the country but can come back.

If you have found a job in the meantime you can change to an EB extension, the only thing you need is a letter of your employer. You can get an EB extension for 12 months, costs about $290.

Good luck.

Joe

Thank you.

You can pay a little more and have an agent do it. Last time I think it cost me $330. There is a travel agent on st172 that does it. It's a multi entry.

Any agent can do it for the normal price of $290!

Joe

Oooh, I would like to find for that price.

It's the normal price and every reliable agent charges this,  it includes already the agent's fee.

If you want to know such a reliable agent,  send me pm.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Please suggest some reliable agent for my brother who is on tourist visa( expired on 17th) .he want to apply for EB visa. Will agent provide the employment letter also. He don't have any offer right now.
Should he go for Ordinary and EG visa first. Or is there a way he can get employment letter. Also if HD gets EB now then while doing extension in January, and will he again need to pay fee and provide employment proof.
Please help.

Regards,
Yogesh

Hello Yogesh.

No need to also send me a pm as I read all messages on this forum every day and try to answer asap.

Your brother has everything wrong.

First his visa is expired, that means he is on overstay, costs him $10 per day.

Then you ask how to extend after his visa expires, impossible.

He has to leave the country and come back, get an Ordinary visa for 30 days and extends this after a week (processing is sometimes 2 weeks) for an EG extension of stay.
He cannot get an EB business extension as he has no job. For EB you need a letter from your employer with official letterhead and stamp that the company is registered in Cambodia, stating that you work for them.

So the only option is a 6 months EG (general) extension, which is made for people who seek work or start their own business. It's multiple entry so he can get out of and in the country as many times as he wants before the date of expiration.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Promoting illegal practices
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

thefrumone.

I work voluntarily for Expat.com as as such answer all questions re Cambodia.

I only give legal advice, never will you find illegal advice from me, that could bring people in trouble, in jail or kicked out of the country!

You might feel you are so clever, what do you tell people when they get caught and arrested? What you say then? Nothing, you will hide.

You can call me what you want, I don't care, but I give honest and straight advice, nothing people have to fear for, nothing that makes people vulnerable as they did something illegal and criminal.

Again, thte person in question has his visa expired, should go out of the country and come back to get an Ordinary visa, after that he can apply for an extension.
These are the rules. Whether or not people don't want to stick to the rules is not my concern, if they follow my advice they will never get in trouble.

Your illegal way scams them of a lot of money, I have heard more than $100 for a visa, ok fine, up to them, but it's against the law.

Joe

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Promoting illegal practices
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

There is nothing against following the rules of the law,  don't you admit?

Your advice forces people to act against the law,  if they want that fine,  I or anyone here at Expat.com don't care.

But the aim and purpose of Expat.com is to give legal advice and that's what we do.

BTW crossing the border to Vietnam in Bavet is much easier than Thailand,  so is a flight to KL.

So leaving the country is not a big deal.

Joe

Hi Joekhmer,

Thanks for your response. It was helpful.
My younger brother has two problems now:
1. He want to come back as agent did a fraud and took his 1900 usd and did not return. He disappeared. Can filing a police complaint will help. The one of the junior of the agent whom my brother gave money he is also claiming to be victim and saying he is not having any money. Will lodging an FIR help. How is local police in Phnom penh. Is it cooperative. How many days he need to stay in phenom Penh if he files complaint. Will he be required to stay there after police FIR.

2. How can I send him money. He has no bank account in Cambodia. Is it possible to send him money for making his living and Daily need expenses.

3. Also Overstay will be an issue if he returns.. If he pays penalty?? Its just 2-3 days Over Stay now.

Urgent help would be appreciable.

Thanks,
Yogesh

Hello Yogesh. 

So far for scamming agents.

Yes file a complaint at the police station nearest to where it happened.

Your brother can leave after that but has to pay his overstay.

If you are not in the country you can use Western Union or Money gram to send money.

Good luck.

Joe

Sorry i guess i missed. How much does an EG visa cost? the same 150?

About yes,  depends on the agent.

Joe

Thanks Joe

I already worked under a contract in PP, but I never had an EG visa. How do you think can I apply for an EG visa now?

Hello.

You come in on an Ordinary visa, valid for 30 days.

Within that time you go to an agent and apply for a EG extension of stay (EOS). That can be for 1 month, 3 months or 6 months. Only the 6 months EOS is multiple entry.

No documents needed for 6 months EG extension.

If you find a job you have to change to an EB (business) extension after your EG expires. You then also have to apply for a work permit.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Hi Joe, I am just starting to look at Visa Options in Cambodia as visa requirements here seem better for long stays than Thailand.  I am planning a move to Cambodia and will be 48yr old.  I will not be seeking employment or have a business.  I will basically just be retiring there but dont meet the 55yrs criteria, so I am curious on what type of visa I should seek if I want to stay long term and have multi entry privileges?

Thanks
Rob

Hello Rob.

I guess you have a source of income. Would that be a way to convince Immigration that you can support yourself and could be eligible for an ER extension? If you have money coming from abroad on a regular base it would be possible.

If not there is only this way, apart from enrolling in an educational institute (registered) to get a one year ES (student) extension which can be extended again.

The EG (general) extension is valid for 6 months, multiple entry.
So you can come in on a Ordinary visa for 30 days, within that period you apply for a 6 months EG extension, no docs needed.
After it expires you leave the country (Thailand, Vietnam, Lao, Kuala Lumpur) and fly back in, get another Ordinary visa plus extend for another 6 months EG. That way you have covered 14 months.

Problem is I have heard of many double EG extensions and just a few 3x extensions, so I'm not sure if a third time is possible.

If not you could opt for the student extension, gets you another 14 months which can be extended as long as you are enrolled in a registered educational institute. Not necessarily learning Khmer language, there are also institutes that teach Buddhism, Martial arts, Art, and more.

Last but not least: If you can produce a letter from your last employer stating that you are retired it would be possible to get a ER extension.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Joe

Thanks Joe, very helpful.   I am basically just wanting to live in Cambodia for 2 years until I hit the 50 yr old retirement visa age for Thailand where I can apply for a retirement visa.  Yes source of income from investments.

Hi Rob. Have you considered perhaps getting the one year tourist visa in Vietnam? You do have to leave every 90 days but a lot of friends in Vietnam do this that are from the US. It may help get you stable in a place for awhile since you are looking for about two years of residency before going to Thailand. Just an idea.