Can anyone give me any advice on the visa situation.

Hi everyone! My name is James, I'm a twenty five year old from the UK, and I'm looking to move to Phnom Pehn in March to teach English. And, of course, to soak up some beautiful Khmer culture and hospitality.
I would very much like to stay long term. Can anyone give me any advice on the visa situation. How, and where to apply, that sort of thing? Thank you very much everyone, I look forward to meeting some of you when I get there!  :D

Kind regards
James

J Hort wrote:

Hi everyone! My name is James, I'm a twenty five year old from the UK, and I'm looking to move to Phnom Pehn in March to teach English. And, of course, to soak up some beautiful Khmer culture and hospitality.
I would very much like to stay long term. Can anyone give me any advice on the visa situation. How, and where to apply, that sort of thing? Thank you very much everyone, I look forward to meeting some of you when I get there!  :D

Kind regards
James

Welcome to the forum

Please read the many posts in the visa section of the forum on the right hand side of the page.

Thank you stumpy, I guess I should have had a look around before I posted shouldn't I!

Hello James,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I created a new topic as from your post on the Phnom Penh forum for a better visibility and get more responses on your question.

All the best,
Christine

Hi James,

My advice to you as per experience. Cambodia is not a place to teach.
not paying well and if you have health condition or not used to heat
you better think twice.

As per visa, once you are employed by a school they have to do the visa for you.

Not quite right. You do the visa, the employer does the work permit.

Make sure you get the correct visa when entering the country: (ordinary/business/employment) visa - all different names for the same thing. If you get a tourist visa, you will have to leave and re-enter the country to be employed.

Then extend your visa for the desired amount of time with any trusted travel agent.

New rule since January 2015: You can only extend once without showing your work permit. How strict they apply the new rules, I don't know. But I guess that for a few extra dollars, everything's possible.

choco - if he feels the calling, let him come.

The question is J Hort, have you ever been to SE Asia & Cambodia?