Cambodian Visa's - Essential Information

Have the rules changed for Sri Lankan tourists since the original post in 2015? Can they receive a VOA or still have to apply in advance?

Officially, if you are from Afghanistan, Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, or Sudan, you are not eligible for a visa on arrival and will need to apply in advance at the closest Cambodian embassy in your home country. For citizens of these countries, the visa requirements are far more onerous. At a minimum, you'll need a return ticket and sponsor letter or letter of invitation from an employer or organization.

Hope this makes things clear.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

I appreciate the reply Joe! Thanks for coming back so quickly. There appears to be conflicting info online about this. It seems like Sri Lanka doesn't have a Cambodian embassy and different forums and sites all have different info. See this post on Trip Advisor (not the more trustworthy I know): https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g … bodia.html

And then this very basic layout on Doyouneedvisa.com: http://www.doyouneedvisa.com/visa/Sri%20Lanka/Cambodia

Im just wondering, where is the source of your knowledge coming from? online or you have known someone recently to have to go through this?

Hello.

It is well known that a number of countries need visa from an embassy, that has not changed.

An up-to-date website, apart from Expat.com, is this one: http://www.movetocambodia.com/planning- … dia-visas/

Cheers.

Joe

Thanks for sending that link!

I'm not usually given to brown-nosing but Joe you're a gift here.

From what I've read here and there I'll get an ER based on age.

... and - I guess - they don't need proof of income or a specific bank balance. No? So much easier than Thailand!

My Thai wife also has her US citizenship but will only be 52. I can't find the requirements for her, long term.

Hello.

You're right that you get a retirement extension of stay.  It might be necessary to supply a letter stating that you are retiring,  don't work and have funds coming from abroad.
No proof needed,  no amount mentioned.
The letter will be printed out by the (reliable) agent and signed and thumb printed by you.

Your wife,  if not working,  can also get a retirement extension of stay based on you supporting her.

Get a good agent and all will be fine,  easy as can be.

Cheers

Joe

Hello Everyone,
I'm a Hungarian member, traveling to Cambodia in the end of September for an extended stay. I am willing to take a look (again) to the country for possibly moving there in the very near future.

I would like to get just a one-way ticket to Cambodia through Bangkok (most likely Thai Airways from there).
On arrival I would like to go for Ordinary visa.

1. Am I in a danger of not being flight into the country if I have only inbound ticket? (Has anybody experience with Thai Airways regarding to this?)

2. If I want to look for a job, I know I would need an E (Ordinary) visa, but regarding the one-way ticket issue, should I get rather an e-Visa (Tourist...)  in advance from Hungary? Then leave to VietNam, then get back to Cambodia?
(Do I have any issue getting Ordinary visa at reentering, if previously asked for Tourist one?)
Is that help for the flight company to calm down (visa in my hand at check-in), or they can demand outbound proof anyway?
3. Can already the European company deny my flight (however from Thailand I have the way out), or it will turn out just in Bangkok, if the local company has issues with it? If so, possible to get the throwaway outbound at the transfer, or they will consider it cheating?
4. What else can be used to convince flight companies, can I show them my previous passport as a proof of always being a good girl,
or they usually don't care?

Sorry for being so long on my questions. I've researched  many forums and blogs on this topic but still... I survive everything but have strong paranoia on visa issues :D

Hello.

You have posted the same questions already in another thread, I wish you wouldn't do that.

To your questions:

1. It is solely the airline who decides to take you on board with a one way ticket, the Cambodian Immigration doesn't care about that at all. So ask the airline before buying your ticket and mention that you will have an onward ticket to Cambodia.

2. You will face rejection in Thailand if you have no onward travel booked in your name. So it would be a good idea to buy an onward plain ticket from Bangkok to Phnom Penh, Air Asia is the most used airline.

3. Arriving at PP airport you apply for an Ordinary visa, costs $35 and is valid for 30 days. A week or so later you go to a reliable agency and apply for a EG (general) extension of stay, max. 6 months but multiple entry so you can go out and in as many times as you want.
No documents needed for this extension.

With this system you are hassle-free for 7 months. If you want to stay longer you have to leave the country after 7 months and come back, doing the same system.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Thank You JoeKhmer!
(I just tried to remove my separate post now but don't find it anymore. Thank you if you removed it:))

I will buy a ticket from Hungary-->Phnom Penh, so outward ticket I will have this way out from Thailand. Will not even touch the land there with my legs.
All of the tickets I see involves multiple airlines, so European ones to Thailand and Asian ones from there. So about the Europeans Im not that concerned as they bring me only to Thailand.

My question is, what can I do if in Thailand the Air Asia says I can not board from there to Cambodia? Do I buy immediately a cheap ticket eg. to Vietnam? Or will need to show them an outward right out of the whole region?
Sorry for asking a lot, I want to be sure I can arrive there, would be a tragedy to be deported to Europe from my 'holiday'

And... If I get a tourist visa first (in advance, e-Visa)
Does it help on the airport to convince them to bring me in?
If I leave after one month on Tourist visa and go back, can ask for an Ordinary visa?

Hello.

If you want to be really sure you could buy a return ticket from PP to Bangkok or to any other place outside Cambodia. Kuala Lumpur is popular for short trips.

Don't buy an e-visa, do as I told, get an Ordinary visa at Phnom Penh airport. They don't care about an onward ticket. Thai Immigration does, but you have the onward ticket to PP so no problem at all.

The only time you can have problems with an airline is at boarding, they will tell you you need an onward ticket or a return. You have that covered with your ticket to PP. Air Asia won't stop you, I have flown many times on a one-way ticket. But as I stated you can take out all risks by buying a return ticket to Bangkok or an onward ticket to another place.

Good luck.

Joe

Hi

I'm not sure which visa to take for myself. I'm in a military pension, but i want to work, or start up a private company. Can I work, or have a private company if I apply for an ER visa extension ? I am 48 years old, but I can prove that I'm retired.

Thanx

Hello.

There is no problem for you getting a retirement extension of stay, for a year each time.

But, employment is not allowed, own business the same.

If you work or have a business you need the EB (Business) extension plus a work permit.

Hope this makes things clear.

Cheers

Joe

Thanks a lot Joe!

In case I decide on an Er visa:

What documents are required to prove retirement status?

Do I have to translate the documents into English, and officially certify the documents?

I have a couple more questions

If I choose to EB visa  extension, and starting a business, two things unclear to me. I need medical certificate, and police report from my home country.

Police report from my country, i'm take in Croatia.

What about medical examination, I do it in Cambodia, or in Croatia?

Do I have to translate documents into English, and officially certify the documents? 

Thank you very much Joe

Sami 333 wrote:

Thanks a lot Joe!

In case I decide on an Er visa:

What documents are required to prove retirement status?

Do I have to translate the documents into English, and officially certify the documents?

As you are under 55 you have to prove sufficient funds to support yourself, like 3 months of bank slips showing income from retirement.

You also have to provide a letter (translated into English) confirming that you are retired.

Further only your passport and the money ($290 for one year).

Joe

Sami 333 wrote:

I have a couple more questions

If I choose to EB visa  extension, and starting a business, two things unclear to me. I need medical certificate, and police report from my home country.

Police report from my country, i'm take in Croatia.

What about medical examination, I do it in Cambodia, or in Croatia?

Do I have to translate documents into English, and officially certify the documents? 

Thank you very much Joe

If you need a medical certificate you can do that here. Police clearing from your home country, translated into English. To avoid any problem I would indeed have the documents notarized.

Thinking of this, you could start with a 6 months EG (general) extension of stay. No documents needed.
It is meant for people looking for employment or to start their own business.
It gives you time to decide what you really want.

Cheers

Joe

Joe, thank you for your reply, I'm flying to Siem Reap, if I visit PP and I should definitely invite you on a fine drink, and to thank you on my bad english haha.

I have another question for you.

If I take an EG stay extension, I can leave the country after 6 months, and go back and take an ER extension, or EB visa extension ?

Thank you for your help

Sami 333 wrote:

Joe, thank you for your reply, I'm flying to Siem Reap, if I visit PP and I should definitely invite you on a fine drink, and to thank you on my bad english haha.

I have another question for you.

If I take an EG stay extension, I can leave the country after 6 months, and go back and take an ER extension, or EB visa extension ?

Thank you for your help

Hello.

Yes you can (have to) leave the country after the 6 months EG extension expired. Stay one day out of Cambodia to have the extension expired, or leave one day too late and pay $10 fine for overstay.

That way you can come in again on a Ordinary visa and extend it for any E extension.

Cheers.

Joe

I saw over stay if visa expired is $5 that's in correct , it's been $10 dollars a day for about 4 years now ,how often is this website updated ?

Overstay is $10 a day.

I Am from  Canada  it arriving in Cambodia July 24 and heard I have to pay 3000usa  deposit.is this true?

Hello, I have cut and pasted this info from the UK Gov website under entry requirements to Cambodia. You should also check your own Gov website as well for any changes. This info is still valid as of the 04-07-20 as per the UK Gov website.

Entry

If you wish to enter Cambodia you will need to:
•get a visa before arrival — the visa exemption policy, visa on arrival and e-visa arrangements are suspended indefinitely
•get a medical certificate, no longer than 72 hours prior to the date of travel, from a competent health authority stating you do not have COVID-19
•have proof of insurance that includes a minimum of US$50,000 for medical cover.

The government is now imposing charges on foreign arrivals for lab testing, medical treatment and accommodation under health measures to prevent a second wave of COVID-19 transmission in Cambodia.

All foreign passengers are required to deposit US$3000 for the COVID-19 service charges at the airport upon their arrivals. Once deductions for services have been made, the remainder of the deposit will be returned. This is can be paid either by cash or credit card.

The service fees are listed as below:

1.US$5 for transport from the airport to waiting centre, US$100 for one COVID-19 test, US$30 for overnight stay at hotel or waiting centre and US$30 for 3 meals a day while waiting for test result.

2.If one passenger tests positive for COVID-19, those on the same flight will be quarantined for 14 days. Each passenger will have to pay US$100 for a COVID-19 test and US$84 a day to pay for the stay in a hotel or quarantine facility, (the charge includes meals, laundry, sanitary services, doctors and security services).

3.For a COVID-19 positive patient, they will be charged US$100 per COVID-19 test (maximum four tests), and US$225 a day for hospital room, medical treatment service, meals, laundry and sanitary services. In addition, in case of death the cremation service charge is US$1,500.

4.If issuance of a COVID-19 health certificate is required, for example for future travel, foreign nationals will need to pay US$100 for a lab test and US$30 for the certificate.

The restrictions on travellers coming from, and nationals of, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the USA and Iran have been lifted.

All foreigners arriving in Cambodia will now be subject to a COVID-19 test at a facility near the airport (as well as requiring a Covid negative test before flying). You will be required to remain at this facility until the results are known, which may include an overnight stay. If you test positive, you will be required to quarantine for 14 days at a facility designated by the Cambodia government. This may be at a hotel (at your own expense) or at a Government facility. The conditions at government facilities are very basic and we cannot guarantee that families will be kept together. If you test negative, you will be required to quarantine for 14 days at your own accommodation. You will be expected to comply with these requirements regardless of any existing medical needs you may have. If you are not able to submit to these requirements, you should think carefully about whether to travel to Cambodia at this time.

Anyone testing positive for COVID-19 will be admitted to the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital for monitoring and treatment.

The Interior Ministry's General Department of Immigration has recently announced that it will deny visa extensions for foreigners who are not registered on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by 1 July 2020. See Foreigners Registration

I hope this helps?

Kind regards

metman57

Thanks

I just received a email from cambodia embassy and they have suspended all evisa until next month.o guess I  guess I better cancel my July 24 flight

linklinklink wrote:

Can't go anywhere now

Hello.

You are a Cambodian citizen and you can leave the country when you wish.
But to get into another country is another thing, not easy.

As your profile says you are interested in Australia, that is impossible at the moment.

Think of this: the virus does not spread itself, it is spread by humans traveling. So the less people travel the better the virus can get under control.

Stay in your beautiful country, do some domestic traveling, like Kampot where I live, beautiful place at the river and close to the sea.

One day it will all be easier, just now is a difficult time.

Stay healthy and don't give up hope.

Have a nice day.

Joe

Dear joe, as usual your advice is spot on, I am 83 and have a long term Cambodian partner and I have not seen her for 12 months due to the COVID-19 crisis, I fully intend to move to Phnom Penh permanently, have you any information as to whether they will remove the stringent conditions of entry in the near future, further, if I can get back to Cambodia and be prepared to pay the $3000 on arrival can I quarantine in my rented apartment in chroy changva direct from the airport by taxi, thanks once again, you must be a very busy man answering all the questions we throw at you, kind regards, willyboy1937.

Hello willyboy.

First, as of today, November 18, every passenger arriving into the country will have to go on a 14 day quarantine at designated hotels. No self-quarantine anymore....

Why?
Because a stupid French and a stupid Hungarian thought rules are not for them, the Hungarian went to  several shops as if he were free and the Frenchman managed to attend a pool party and a music event. This all during their supposed self-quarantine. Both of them tested positive on their day 13.

The government trusted foreigners but foreigners cannot be trusted, at least a small portion of them.

So now it's arriving, pay deposit ($2000 not $3000) and be transported to your hotel, either pre-booked or "surprise" for a period of 14 days. After that the second test and then you can go where you want, provided you tested negative.

Cheers.

Joe

Thanks joe, unfortunately we have idiots in Australia apart from not wearing masks even denying that COVID-19 exists, I have not seen my Cambodian family since January and as soon they lift the restrictions I plain to move to Phnom Penh on a permanent basis, kind regards.

You could try to get an Ordinary visa from a Cambodian embassy/consulate in Australia, based on retirement. Some embassies are willing to do that but it's rare.

Show them your official retirement documents plus your income. It might work and you got nothing to lose. If you had e ER (retirement) extension of stay in Cambodia, show them that too, it's in your passport.

Family circumstances can also be a reason to give out a visa, but in most cases that's about spouses/kids, don't know if that applies to you.

Anyway, try all you can, as I said you got nothing to lose.

Good luck.

Joe

Hi Joe - I was lucky enough to arrive last Sunday, so doing my quarantine in an Airbnb next to the Russian market (and no, I have not been going out shopping - just getting groceries and takeaways delivered). My first two nights were in the Tian Yi hotel, one of the authorised government hotels. As an indication to future visitors, rooms are around $85 a night including food  - the rooms are very good, 4 star, the food is barely edible. So at 14 nights that comes out of the $2k deposit, along with the cost of two PCR tests at $100 each, plus bus from the airport, plus the banks charge $30 handling fee. A visitor will probably get about $400 back from the deposit. Unless someone is on business and getting everything on expenses, that cost should be taken into account along with airfare, visa, pre-arrival testing and insurance. It would be fair to say that someone coming to Cambodia to reunite with family or to retire will be paying around $3k to $3.5k all up, depending where they come from. If here for the long term you can depreciate that at around $60 a month over the first 5 years (sorry Joe I used to be a financial manager) so its not too bad. If short term, its a bit expensive and you should probably wait until things ease up .  I have 6 days to go - then look out, Phnom Penh!

hdgh29 wrote:

Hi Joe - I was lucky enough to arrive last Sunday, so doing my quarantine in an Airbnb next to the Russian market (and no, I have not been going out shopping - just getting groceries and takeaways delivered). My first two nights were in the Tian Yi hotel, one of the authorised government hotels. As an indication to future visitors, rooms are around $85 a night including food  - the rooms are very good, 4 star, the food is barely edible. So at 14 nights that comes out of the $2k deposit, along with the cost of two PCR tests at $100 each, plus bus from the airport, plus the banks charge $30 handling fee. A visitor will probably get about $400 back from the deposit. Unless someone is on business and getting everything on expenses, that cost should be taken into account along with airfare, visa, pre-arrival testing and insurance. It would be fair to say that someone coming to Cambodia to reunite with family or to retire will be paying around $3k to $3.5k all up, depending where they come from. If here for the long term you can depreciate that at around $60 a month over the first 5 years (sorry Joe I used to be a financial manager) so its not too bad. If short term, its a bit expensive and you should probably wait until things ease up .  I have 6 days to go - then look out, Phnom Penh!

Thank you, very informative, that is indeed a little expensive for anyone staying less than 6 months. Incidentally it's about the same in Vietnam, where government approved hotels run between 50 to 100 US$ per night, food and services not included.

Hi Kurt - as you probably know, the main difference is that in Cambodia a retiree can get a ER extension on his visa for 12 months, multi entry, renewable each year. In Vietnam if you do not have a work Visa you have to leave every three months to renew. And there are not currently any nearby places where you can do a visa run out of Vietnam.....

You're very lucky indeed as from today it is not possible anymore, all travellers are forced to go into hotel quarantine for 14 days.

Indeed a bit expensive and with the food not really good it's a challenge to order food from outside, at extra costs too.

Indeed most of the deposit will be used in this way, thanks to some stupid self-entitled foreigners.

Congrats on coming back, was a long way but worth it.

Cheers

Joe

hdgh29 wrote:

Hi Kurt - as you probably know, the main difference is that in Cambodia a retiree can get a ER extension on his visa for 12 months, multi entry, renewable each year. In Vietnam if you do not have a work Visa you have to leave every three months to renew. And there are not currently any nearby places where you can do a visa run out of Vietnam.....

Yes I know, that's a big difference. What I meant is that the conditions for entering the country are now very similar (14 day quarantine in a government mandated hotel, relatively expensive), whereas until yesterday it was “easier” and especially cheaper in Cambodia.

Yeah, I am an idiot. I had planned to come here last year but I was enjoying my job, the company wanted me to stay on for various reasons, so I put retirement off for a year. If I had come last year, I would have just paid $700 for a one way airticket and $30 for a visa on arrival, and no quarantine hassles. It just shows, we never know what the future has waiting for us!

You don't have to leave Vietnam every three months. If you have a year long tourist visa you can extend the exit stamp for up to three months. It costs more for one three month extension here than a retirement EOS for a year in Cambodia. I just did this through next February. This is my third three month extension on my one year tourist visa. After The visa ends one can extend month by month here. Again it's all more expensive. I'd take Cambodia!

Really? I worked in Vietnam on and off for a few years, the companies I worked for organised my work / resident visa. But last time (2012 to 2014) I was doing self-employed consultancy on a visit visa, when I applied I could only get 1 month or 3 months, and could renew the 3 months but had to cross into Cambodia to do that. I was not aware of a 12 month tourist visa. Didn't worry me, I got to enjoy the KOW, which is why I ended up here now.
Update: just checked online : 12 month visa only for US passports.

Yep. The year long tourist visa appears to be only for US passport holders. It's been around for a few years at least. In 2018 I got a six month tourist visa but went to Hong Kong on a visa run after three months.

I do have a question about the covid 19 health insurance visa requirement for entry to Cambodia. How long must you hold the insurance? I found a few providers that meet the need.  Cannot get ordinary visa from embassy here in Hanoi so it's personal interest.