American Dream

Hey!

At the moment I prepare a presentation about the 'american dream' and i thought it might be interesting to have different opinions about this topic. So if you have a little time for me you could answer these questions =)

Name:

Where do you come from?
What do you think of when you hear the phrase 'american dream'?
Do you have you own american dream? (If so, have you already reached it?)

I would like to know if there is a significant difference in the way people from the US and people from other countries see the american dream.
Since name, gender and age are personal details these are optional. Might be interesting to see whether there are differences in the interpretation of the american dream as well.

Thanks for reading :)

lg, Nina

Welcome to Expat-blog, Nina :)

Hope that members participate actively and contribute towards making your survey successful.

All the best,
on behalf of the Team

uhmmmm ..my only dream is to study in the US.
my name is Tuyet and i'm a high school girl from Viet Nam. i take my process of studying English very seriously but it seems a bit ineffective. sadddddd.... work harder the me of mine!! (that's my own sentence!)

James Truslow Adams was the first to use the phrase in his book Epic of America.  He said: "The American Dream is that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for every man, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement. It is a difficult dream for the European upper classes to interpret adequately, also too many of us ourselves have grown weary and mistrustful of it. It is not a dream of motor cars and high wages merely, but a dream of social order in which each man and each woman shall be able to attain to the fullest stature of which they are innately capable, and be recognized by others for what they are, regardless of the fortuitous circumstances of birth or position."

However, the modern idea of the American Dream (at least how it is portrayed in the media) often has to do with home ownership, for some reason.

Blog:  beyondthequeen.blogspot.com