Anybody know of any schools in HCM that will hire without degree/cert.

I am interested to teach in HCM but wanted to know if it is possible? I do  not have a 4 year degree or any valid certificates (tefl, tesol, celta), I am planning to come on tourist visa and apply for jobs locally Does anybody know any good schools? Also does anybody know of school who can legitimately get work permit. I have read 99% of teachers there have difficulties getting work permit in Vietnam because of the corrupt government and the companies have to prove that a local isn't qualified so need to hire foreigner. You can renew on tourist visa again and again? right?

Hi,
You cannot teach English in Vietnam with tourist Visa. As new rule, you have to get working visa before going to Vietnam for working.

Ngoc Trang wrote:

Hi,
You cannot teach English in Vietnam with tourist Visa. As new rule, you have to get working visa before going to Vietnam for working.

Pls tell us where you found that information, ( it might also give me info on other matters ).

You can contact with Labor Authorities when you are working or Immigration department. My company (Oil and Gas Company) usually get tourist Visa for expat before coming to Vietnam and get working Visa / working permit later on.

Last January, Immigration informed in a training meeting organized by Labor Authorities that since 2015 we cannot get working Visa / working permit if the expat keeps Tourist Visa when coming to Vietnam. And now my company applied this rule.

Ngoc Trang wrote:

You can contact with Labor Authorities when you are working or Immigration department. My company (Oil and Gas Company) usually get tourist Visa for expat before coming to Vietnam and get working Visa / working permit later on.

Last January, Immigration informed in a training meeting organized by Labor Authorities that since 2015 we cannot get working Visa / working permit if the expat keeps Tourist Visa when coming to Vietnam. And now my company applied this rule.

Yes, at  Sở Lao động, it is called a Business Visa, ( DN ). came into force on May 1 , 2015.

Yes, but even though I have a DN visa an immigration official in a province that I don't care to name informed me that I couldn't teach unless I had a work permit, which meant that I had to leave the province. 

Oh, snap! :(

Best of luck to those working outside of the major metropolitan areas.  I won't be making that mistake again.

Teacher Mark wrote:

Yes, but even though I have a DN visa an immigration official in a province that I don't care to name informed me that I couldn't teach unless I had a work permit, which meant that I had to leave the province. 

Oh, snap! :(

Best of luck to those working outside of the major metropolitan areas.  I won't be making that mistake again.

It seems to be a Business Visa in name only, anyone can get one, but when it comes time to working for someone else, then a Work Permit is required, and even if you work for yourself, you have to have a letter from the labour Dept saying you are exempt from a Work Permit????? and that can depend on what category of work, if you have your own school I think you still need a Work Permit, and/or permission/registration from the Education Board.