Tips for getting your first job in Jordan

Hi,

What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in Jordan?

What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth?

What are the top hiring sectors?

What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in Jordan?

Thank you in advance for your participation!

Hi and I hope anyone can find this helpful and remember its just my opinion :) 

What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in Jordan? Do not get your expectation too high. Jobs are scarce in a very competitive job market. Companies are not willing to go through the visa,permits and any other expenses if your skills just good enough. So keep all 3 points in prospective.

What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth? A good structured CV or Resume is always your best weapon for battle, have it professionally done. Usually Recruitment sites are the best starting point, then word-of-mouth, then connections. Newspaper not as good as some people think, they are more into government based jobs.

What are the top hiring sectors? At the moment INGOs and its a very good line of work but its not very realistic in terms of wadges and job security. Wadges are much higher than other sectors and the idea of per project contracts is not appealing to many, but in all fairness its a good exposure and a good source for connections.

What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in Jordan? Start with an entry job, don't aim higher than your skills and capabilities, allow enough time for your skills to mature. Take whatever you can get and keep looking for the next best thing.

Good luck for all  :top:

Hatim

Hey there..

i will be answering the questions and reffering to Aqaba- Jordan in my answers as Hatim's reply below covered mst aspects but for Amman.. i would say.. so aqaba here we go :D

1-What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in -Aqaba?
*Do not raise your expectations, jobs are scarce but if you have good english your chances are 2X boosted espacially in the Hospitality and tourism Field. (Hotels mainly!)

What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth?
**Build a good CV on linked in and make sure to put the link on your social media/Resume.
** Word of mouth and recruitment agencies are the most common in Aqaba specially for those who wish to work at hotels.

What are the top hiring sectors?
*Hotels
**Industrial City
**Aqaba container Terminal( if you have related experience to shipping and ports management)

What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in Jordan?
*** Make sure to do  homework and study the culture of the workplace you will be joining.. s does matter! :cool:
Wishing  you all the Best..

Eman