Domestic worker abuse in Jordan

I understand that the number of cases where domestic workers are mistreated or gone missing in Jordan is raising. One consulate reported almost 5 serious cases of domestic abuse every week...

Their families and friends back in their countries (now mostly Kenya) are loosing contact with them as soon as they arrive in Amman, given some of them are NOT allowed to have a phone, sim card or internet access by their new employers.  Not to mention their abhorable living conditions ...a broom closet a.k.a 'maid-room'. Im certain most of us working and living here as expats are now quite familiar with these 'cells',  which we all saw when we first went house hunting especially in Abdoun....i saw one which was about 4 square metres with no bed! ... its inhuman to confine anyone in a room with no window and very poor ventilation especially during the harsh summers.  These girls are practically sleeping almost next to their toilet bowl......

I've come to learn that most of them are not paid their wages for months, and when they are not cleaning/baby sitting, they are sent back to the tiny cells..... never allowed to go out for the fear of being 'enlightened' by other domestic workers or fellow citizens who have a bit more freedom to leave the house. This is modern-day slavery and MUST STOP. 

Unfortunately most of these girls are naive and recruited from remote villages. Easily excited at the prospect of getting a job and working abroad....So a bit of precaution for those with friends and families coming to work in Jordan as domestic workers (or to any other country for that matter):

1. Get in touch with your consulate / ambassador's office in Jordan and confirm whether or not there is a ban on importing domestic workers from your country. 

In Kenya, this was banned in 2012!

The Kenyan government stopped sending workers to all Middle East countries because it is investigating its own recruitment agencies for human trafficking" - October 2014.

Go to the links below for more details:

Has Banned Its Citizens From Going To The Middle East For Domestic Work Due To Growing Concerns Abou  Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/middle-e … z3YyDzpl4H

‘Abuse of workers not behind Kenya maid ban'

2. Make sure you have the contact details of the new employer and 'recruiting agent' in advance.  That is, their telephone numbers, physical addresses and copies of their passports BEFORE your loved ones travel.  In the case of a recruiting agent , if genuine or legit, they MUST be registered with the government, so request for their company details (registration no. etc)

3. A copy of the employment contract with clear terms and conditions of employment must be signed and agreed with the domestic worker BEFORE she leaves her home country.  Ensure that the wages stipulated in the contract comply with the minimum wage law of Jordan (i forget what it is... just do your research!)

4. Make sure that before she travels she has a mobile phone (ideally one with internet access) and at least $20 cash. On arrival at the airport she must make sure she buys a sim card and talk-time $20 should be enough for both).  At 'Arrivals'  there is an Airtel /Zain vendor (on the left just after the Starbucks cafe...she needs her passport to do this though).  Perharps at this point it would be wise to hide these from the employer...just in case she is assigned to a slave-driver... But she must have  the number of the respective consulate/ambassador's office in Jordan before hand.

5. Try to register her with your Consulte / Ambassador's office in Jordan.  This will ensure that they have her records (contacts and adddress in Jordan) and are aware that she is the country and for what purposes...

I hope this helps, and if there are any other pointers/tips i might have omitted, feel free to include.

Remember, she is someones' daughter, mother, sister, friend, lover or wife ....... they are people too.

"If you prick us with a pin, don't we bleed? If you tickle us, don't we laugh? If you poison us, don't we die? And if you treat us badly, won't we try to get revenge? If we're like you in everything else, we'll resemble you in that respect" - Shakespear

Be kind to one another. Best wishes

Nimo

I love your article i feel like i want to quut at time am a graduate but i couldnt get a job that payed enough for my kids so i opted to try out here.The country is amazing and am sure there are nice people but some few make staying here regretable. Ave fallen in love with jordan and i wish i can see more of it but i guess this is whati can settle for, for now. After my contract i would love to come back but as a free person.

Excellent Post

As a westerner living here in Amman I find it somewhat disturbing the amount of families that have a maid (SLAVE). I find it kind of disgusting that Jordanian women cannot clean their own homes and look after their kids themselves. I lived next door to a family where the woman did not work. but sat outside most of the day while her young maid washed clothes. cooked. cleaned. took care of the 7 children and then had to do the shopping. The poor girl looked totally worn out and miserable. Why can't these Jordanian women look after their own kids or even do general housekeeping??? seems to me they are just too lazy.

I read a article online not so long ago about a young maid that came to Jordan believing that she would be working for a better life and having her own room as her employers promised. Once here she tried to call her parents to let them know that she had arrived safely but could get no signal and had to go up to the roof to try and get one. The new employer (a man) followed her up and demanded to know why she was making a phone call and pushed her from the roof breaking her back. She was send beck to her country where she died a short while later. It's  about time the Jordanian Government Banned slavery.

@anne Kenneth @ladyluck13 ... I'm glad that I'm not the only one disturbed by this ....

recently i tried getting out of this domestic job and i was told to pay 2000$ and pay for my ticket home. Now ambon depression pills n waiting till oct when i can get my passport back and go home.

Please contact the following groups. They can help you: 

1. Jordanian Women's Union -  http://jwu.org.jo/Alliances.aspx?lng=1  Hotline Number:+962(6)5675729   E-mail:  [email protected]

2. Caritas Jordan http://www.caritasjordan.org.jo/contactus.htm    Tel : 00962 6 4639032 ;    E-mail: [email protected] .   Carita's projects include protection, recovery and repatriation for domestic worker victims.... There also have campaigns to criminalize abuses against domestic workers. 

Also read about YOUR RIGHTS as a Non-Jordanian worker   --- Jordanian Labor Legislation  http://www.tamkeen-jo.org/rights_duties.htm

Be advised that when you end or terminate your contract: 

1.  Your employer gets back 2,000 JD which they paid as a bank guarantee (what they call the sponsorship fee).  This is a form of security as per the Jordan Ministry of Labour. So you do not have to pay them anything, UNLESS you have damaged their property etc ...

2. Your employer brought you to Jordan, therefore they must pay for your full ticket back to your home country.  BUT  if your employer is good to you and you decide to run away,  you will have to pay your own flight back home and other related costs.....

Also note that as per the Jordanian Law:

1. The worker has the right to keep his/her passport and all his personal documents, including the work permit. The employer is NOT allowed to withhold any of these documents in any way.

2, In case the employer carries out any such prohibited actions (e.g physical or verbal abuse) the worker has the right to leave the work place without notice. And the worker still has the right to claim his/her legal rights from the employer. In addition the worker has the right to ask for compensation for damages caused by the employer, all salaries pending etc

Read more on the Jordanian Labour Law : http://www.tamkeen-jo.org/rights_duties.htm

Bes wise and keep safe
Cheers

Thank you to NimO for all this info.
Regarding why cant these Jordanian women just clean and take care of their own....
Note majority Jordanian women do do this.Jordan does not only comprise of Amman.
It is sad that these cases do happen,but not just in Jordan,other gulf states have this problem too.It is sad,because these are Islamic countries and the Prophet  Mohammed ( pbuh) had abolished slavery and set as precedent for generations to come.Slavery is not allowed in islaam,so the abuse to domestic workers is as definite no no.Slavery in Islaam,had been abolished before the time of America importing slaves from Africa .
Glad to see that the Jordanian government,does not stand for this and the law does not support this.
All this being said,there are more reported cases in the middle east of domestic workers abusing employers,their children,even babies.there have been cases where domestic workers have murdered employers.cases where children were physically molested and babies doped with injectable medications...just to "keep them quiet".There have been cases of sexual molestation on the part of the domestic worker toward children in the home.let alone theft...and prostitution and sexual advances and acts with male members in the home...and many many more examples

Nevertheless,yes everyone has a right to live as a human and the prophet to mankind Mohammed ( pbuh) has given clear guidelines on this.If only people would be reminded,taught,and heed.
Both employer and employee need to be weary .as to who they hiring and in the case of the employee his rights.

In my opinion one should always try to get as much info as possible in advance about any country. This is not easy becos either poor people have no access to Internet or phone, or the ones recruiting them care about money not humans. I have heard about cases on TV, where women are being sold by women under the alleged intention of employment, in fact ending up in slavery. I would not put too much faith in any country, since where cases are being hidden does not mean there are no cases, making it save while it's not! Check the web for info, since not everything that shines is made of gold! Contacting serious recruiters who keep in contact with their employers where one is considered to be an employer of a  recruitment company,  not the people one is sent to, till the end of the contract.

Too bad these people have to live with you. I'm all for having someone help me with my house and children, but at the end of the day I don't want a stranger sleeping in my home; or me feeling I need to include them in family life, just because they are there. Some industrious person needs to start a day service for domestic workers allowing them to work for families during the day / evening, then provide housing for them to return to after their work schedule. It seems it would take care of so many issues.

Well Sherri,

This is good opportunity to start a new business! :top:

thanks NimO for these infos....

JO/EU wrote:

In my opinion one should always try to get as much info as possible in advance about any country. This is not easy becos either poor people have no access to Internet or phone, or the ones recruiting them care about money not humans. I have heard about cases on TV, where women are being sold by women under the alleged intention of employment, in fact ending up in slavery. I would not put too much faith in any country, since where cases are being hidden does not mean there are no cases, making it save while it's not! Check the web for info, since not everything that shines is made of gold! Contacting serious recruiters who keep in contact with their employers* where one is considered to be an employer* of a  recruitment company,  not the people one is sent to, till the end of the contract.

* employees ( instead of employers )

....finally some good news! :-)

"Kenya bans domestic workers to Jordan" - 6 August 2015

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Kenya-bans … index.html

butterfliesrme wrote:

All this being said,there are more reported cases in the middle east of domestic workers abusing employers,their children,even babies.there have been cases where domestic workers have murdered employers.cases where children were physically molested......

True.  There are situations where domestic workers have done this, but most of the cases reported are on employers abusing their workers......  Note:  I am not trying to justify their actions, but it is likely that domestic workers might retaliate and take it out on the children etc when they become victims of abuse...

Both parties (employers & workers) must to do their background checks before they sign up to anything.

No..the cases I'm talking about are not about frustration...let me be loud and clear here...they simply about being ambitious and mentally unstable.Yes so employers need to be very careful as to who they hire.
I myself am from Africa....where domestic helpers are and have been hired for ages.They are treated in the best way and it provides them with a living being hired in this capacity.they are being paid a living wage plus meals and extra perks like medical aid from the employers.
Please remember...and no offense to anyone but crime rates,theft and murder rates and brutality are very high on this continent..a fact which is public.
People in the middle east need to get out of this naivety and do research before hiring people or bringing them in.
Kenya bans domestic workers from Jordan....thank God for for both parties and hopefully honest and safe African workers will and have entered the middle east in the capacity of domestic workers and shop assistants..

Talking about Domestic worker abuse in Jordan is a Never Ending story ! Sadly...been working with a Recruting Agency (long before our Goverment issuing Morotarium of sending Domestic worker to Jordan) which now is been permanently Banning sending OUr girls to certain country (Jordan included) i have witnessed so many abused workers,from delaying their salary,Improper place to sleep,lack of food,Rape,etc.

All those cases which caused too many "Runaway Maid" (i Hate to use this "Maid" word) wish i could help them more,and for that cases and all thing i have been witnessed,i quit working for this Recruitment Agency.
Hopefully,time will change everythings,Employers will treat their Helper with good manners and Hope they Educate their Childrens too,to be more a "bit" respectful towards their Helpers (as i still witnessed until yesterday,a Child "Kicked" a Helper,Screaming at her,and calling her STUPID,in front of Public) can't do anything just a Lump in my Heart seeing this scenario :(

To all:

The big picture here is DOMESTIC-WORKER ABUSE MUST STOP. There is NO justification for it, whatsoever.  There are criminal justice systems in place to protect the victims (employers and workers alike) and to punish the offenders. NOBODY has the right to take the law into their own hands, no matter what. 

That said, I would like us to focus and celebrate a milestone for Kenyans:  "Kenya bans hiring, sending of domestic workers to Jordan" - August 2015

Hopefully this re-enforcement of the ban might save someone's life and give all victims (workers/employers) a voice to be heard.......But with extreme pain and sadness, I cannot say the same for this Kenyan young girl (22yrs) who committed suicide in Amman last evening.   

"Home worker commits suicide in Amman on Sunday night" - 16 Aug 2015"

I'm very curious why we barely (if at all) read or hear news in the media about employers who have been abused by their domestic workers.....or is it possibly because such cases are extremely rare???? Hence, its a no-brainer that domestic workers are the major victims here....

“If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem.” ― Eldridge Cleaver.

What's the cause of death...any signs of domestic abuse proven.is it easy to prove domestic abuse in a case like this?
She's a 22 year old.Did she have any psychological issues prior to her arrival or personal or family issues.

I think in every country the law does exists the only problem is how much is the law enforced and moreover how much awareness is about the law among the people.

sahil_khan1 wrote:

... and moreover how much awareness is about the law among the people.

Humans don't need to be reminded by a law not to abuse others!

JO/EU wrote:
sahil_khan1 wrote:

Not to steal. not to commit adultery, not be jealous, not to be disrespectful, not lying, not cheating, not......

If there are no laws, what kind of world we would living in? I don't want to think of that!!

Primadonna wrote:
JO/EU wrote:
sahil_khan1 wrote:

Not to steal. not to commit adultery, not be jealous, not to be disrespectful, not lying, not cheating, not......

If there are no laws, what kind of world we would living in? I don't want to think of that!!

The meaning is what kind of humans need laws in order to be reminded to behave like (normal) humans!

I think human does need law, because if that were not the case why would be there laws in every region of the world. The reason is we human are always inclined towards abuse in one or other age or in one or other situation. It is indeed the laws and its enforcement that keeps us motivated to be in the right direction. It is the law that brings or at least teaches to bring justice to the oppressed person.

Nobody said there shouldn't be any law. You just missed the point.

JO/EU wrote:

The meaning is what kind of humans need laws in order to be reminded to behave like (normal) humans!

Every single human being...

Primadonna wrote:
JO/EU wrote:

Every single human being...

Why put all into one and the same pot?

Remember, this topic is about the advice or support system you can offer (if you can) to domestic workers who are abused or those who want to sign up to these jobs.  If you have such advice or assistance for these women/girls, kindly share but if not, please feel free to start your own new topic. I'm sure there're lots of related/ important information you can share through other topics.

You've heard of genuine cases where some of these workers are subjected to physical and/or psychological abuse in the Middle East. They are denied proper medical services, denied a social life, denied food, their phones are confiscated, they are locked up in deplorable state and have no access to their friends or family.

For now, let's have some consideration and respect for domestic workers who are abused and instead of trying to split hairs about issues, let's do what we can to help those who are already in this horrible situation or advice those who are less informed…….

This is what this topic is all about, and that is the real value you can add for these women/girls.  Once again, let's help where we can and be kind to one another.

Some advice: I understand that the local authorities in Jordan (Ministry of Labor or Anti-Human Trafficking Unit of the police) have been very helpful, and if you come across one of these cases, I suppose you can reach out to them for advice. The recruiting agents can also assist in repatriating the affected domestic workers.

Recent Horrible incident happened to an Indonesian Domestic worker,
Brutally beaten to death by her Employer,6years with No Salary,Her Body is Repratiated and she get all her right,unfortunately going back home in a Coffin,The Deceased Daughter is Devastated.

It is shame that we Indonesian peoples can't help this poor soul,only after her death we found out :(

Kate29 wrote:

Recent Horrible incident happened to an Indonesian Domestic worker,
Brutally beaten to death by her Employer,6years with No Salary,Her Body is Repratiated and she get all her right,unfortunately going back home in a Coffin,The Deceased Daughter is Devastated.

It is shame that we Indonesian peoples can't help this poor soul,only after her death we found out :(

It's really a shame.  Domestic workers are people too....

I highly suspect that most of them don't even know where to go for help or who to contact when they get trapped into such situations.

Nim0 wrote:

Remember, this topic is about the advice or support system you can offer (if you can) to domestic workers who are abused or those who want to sign up to these jobs.  If you have such advice or assistance for these women/girls, kindly share but if not, please feel free to start your own new topic. I'm sure there're lots of related/ important information you can share through other topics.

You've heard of genuine cases where some of these workers are subjected to physical and/or psychological abuse in the Middle East. They are denied proper medical services, denied a social life, denied food, their phones are confiscated, they are locked up in deplorable state and have no access to their friends or family.

For now, let's have some consideration and respect for domestic workers who are abused and instead of trying to split hairs about issues, let's do what we can to help those who are already in this horrible situation or advice those who are less informed…….

This is what this topic is all about, and that is the real value you can add for these women/girls.  Once again, let's help where we can and be kind to one another.

Some advice: I understand that the local authorities in Jordan (Ministry of Labor or Anti-Human Trafficking Unit of the police) have been very helpful, and if you come across one of these cases, I suppose you can reach out to them for advice. The recruiting agents can also assist in repatriating the affected domestic workers.

Help can also be sought from the Jordanian Women's Union -  http://jwu.org.jo/Alliances.aspx?lng=1  Hotline Number:+962(6)5675729   E-mail:  jwu[at]go.com.jo.  Apparently they can provide shelter to domestic workers who have been abused and need a safe place to stay while their case is being addressed.

Sometimes we turn a blind eye to the events around us,sad but true :(

butterfliesrme wrote:

What's the cause of death...any signs of domestic abuse proven.is it easy to prove domestic abuse in a case like this?
She's a 22 year old.Did she have any psychological issues prior to her arrival or personal or family issues.

You miss the point/ bigger picture here.  As I said, given the ban by the Kenyan government years ago, this girl might not even have made it to work in Jordan as a Domestic Worker in the first place. She would have been better informed and her death might have been avoided .... Whatever the cause of death, please lets have some sensitivity for this girl (RIP) and her family.

As for those who are already in the middle east or desperate enough to take the chance, we can help by sharing information on where they can go for help, keeping in mind the language barriers as most of these girls don't speak Arabic e.g. where/how they can report abuses, where they can go for medical/ psychological help etc. 

This is the type of useful information/advice/support we need to be sharing. Bottom line, such extreme cases can be avoided.

I Wish i could help more than this :(

Kate29 wrote:

I Wish i could help more than this :(

You can. Most of them suffer because they don't know where to go for help...If you have a mailing or whatsapp group for Indonesians in Jordan, you can share basic but important information which could be helpful e.g. emergency hotlines & addresses for the Indonesian embassy in Jordan, the ministry of labour or  protection shelters like Jordan Women's Association etc.

Not as easy as u think :) yes i do have a whatsapp group but to gather info regarding Indonesian DH here is difficult

Lot of thought being given to ensure well being of the domestic help and kudos to you guys for the positive thoughts and actions. In addition to what has been mentioned, I also think sensitizing potential employers about the legalities involved and the consequences they face if they ill treat their employees will also help reduce issues to an extent. If the recruitment agencies take it upon themselves to regularly visit homes where they've placed domestic help and check on their well being, it'll go a long way in not only ensuring positive working conditions but also building a credible reputation as a safe country to work in.

If there was a ban,what was she doing there in the first place?She was there illegally according to Kenyan law too.That's the bigger picture.
Any cases of abuse can be reported to the police directly.There's no way that they won't pay attention.
Firstly make sure that you legal in the country.
Even then,there's no way that the police or any organization for the destitute will ignore this if it comes in as a complaint,even if the  person is illegal in the country,the government makes sure that there's a safe passage for them back home.
As an expat who is so concerned about these issues,I would advise you to do the research and find the institutions and the kind of help you can get for this sort of thing in Jordan.You will be doing many a favour or shall I say doing those battered and abused domestic workers who come forward a favour.
In gulf countries domestic workers raise complaints and they dealt with by the law.I'm sure its the same in Jordan too from what I understand and see.

There are many ways to tell the story on human rights...this is one of them. Awesome video! It's fun & simple, they could teach this in kindergarten  :)

I would never have guessed that the idea was conceptualized in 539 BC i.e. the Cyrus cylinder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG6lIuOx-BUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG6lIuOx-BU

butterfliesrme wrote:

Firstly make sure that you legal in the country.Even then,there's no way that the police or any organization for the destitute will ignore this if it comes in as a complaint,even if the  person is illegal in the country,the government makes sure that there's a safe passage for them back home.

Good advice...