Looking to move to Greece

Hi,
My husband and I + our dog are looking to move to Greece by Christmas, but need some more info to make sure we are doing the right thing!!
We have started up our own business and have an additional motivation for moving to Greece in lowering our living costs in the start-up period. Coming from Oslo - I dont think we can go far wrong mind!
Appreciate any advice we can get... particularly on the following:

WHERE in Greece?
As neither of us have been to Greece much, we are open to all suggestions!!
BUT, we need somewhere cheap, nice ;) and with good connections both to the UK and Norway. We don't want to live IN a city, but it would be good to have a town/city within an hours drive. Would ideally like somewhere near the sea (max 20 min by car), yet not ultra touristy.

Is it realistic to keep LIVING COSTs between 900 - 1200 euro a month? Where would YOU live if this was your budget? What kind of accommodation could you expect with this budget?

Bringing a DOG ok?
We have a Staffordshire bull terrier who is coming with us!!! Is a normal dog EU-passport sufficient to bring a dog to Greece? Are there any "dog-laws" we should know about? What is the general attitude to dogs? How are vet charges? Any particular vaccinations recommended?

We will be WORKING from home and self employed.. running a Norwegian business from a much warmer place. Any rules or regulations we need to know about? Any taxation we would be subject too?

We were considering driving down with dog and all.. Would we need to import out car to Greece? What road-taxes, MOT rules etc. should we know about?

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone taking the time to help us out!!!

Warm regards
Ollie, Stephen and Chilli

Hi Fam. Norway

That was a lot of questions but lets start.

Living costs are cheaper especially housing but you have to accept another standard. Try to surf around this webpage.

homegreekhome.com/en/homepage

Glyfada area is nice and relatively close to city and airport. and if u skip the car there is the tramp (sporvogn) which tahes a bit over 1 hour. Nort of the city is Kifissia which also has very good connections to the city but not close to the beach.

It is possible to rent an apartment incl. water, gas ect and internet for reasonable money. In your living costs are u including (apartment, utility, food, car and pocket money or)?

I dont know about the dog but you can ask in norway at your normal veterinarian the will know.

I moved my dogs to uk and it needed everything. There are a lot of dogs down here and the just lay aroun in the sun relaxing. Don't be surpriced that they do not look as well feed as scandinavian dogs.

Cars are chaeper in Greece than in norway so maybe it's an idea to (opmaksiner) your furniture and rent furnished.

Hope that got you a tick of the way.

Regards

Brian

Brilliant thank you.. I will definitely check out the link you included. Thanks!!!

Hi Ollie and Family, we have lived in the Epirus region of Greece for 2 years now (on the mainland roughly opposite Corfu Island). In UK terms the living here is not a great deal cheaper although the lifestyle is much better. Shop around before you rent you can get some real bargains if you are prepared to live Greek style we pay 150 euros/month rent part furnished but are 400 Km from Athen which makes winter travel to UK a longer process but not impossible.  Make sure your Internet connections are good if you are going to run a business we have little more than dialup speed here - OK for email but not for images and Skype.

Hope you have great sucess in your new life,

Les..

Hi ! you are very welcome in Greece!!
There are many places you can settle depending on your lifestyle you would like to have..
Here are some suggestions

1. Like mountain life? Try Pilion near Volos..many small traditional villages, sea is close by.No good communication from Norway?Uk
2. Islands : The best option !! Try Crete and specially east crete which is quiet..very cheap..total liberty...people in crete live longer than any other westtern nation ...nice food..nice people..a paradise..Good communication from UK to Herakleion airport..the best climate..average temperature 22 degreess...320 sunny dys per year ...what else you need???
3. Islands : Chios Island , Patmos Island  (where St John wrote the Apocalypsis..one paradise..Rhodos island
...and many more options ...
if you need something specific let me know and i ll help you out !!!
kind regards
demetris

Thank you guys for all the advice and tips..
Greece has long been our favorite choice, but recently Croatia has also intrigued...
We have decided to drive southward and see where we end up :)

I guess, as long as we can get our dog, car and ourselves in and out, we will tackle any questions and issues that comes our way after that :D

Again, thanks for all your kind advice.
Ollie

ItŽs no problem bringing a dog here, as long as it has all the papers. If you will live in the country side you might want an extra vaccine for diseases transferred by fox.

If I had a budget of 900 to 1200 euros a month IŽd choose Croatia (if itŽs cheaper). You have to live very modest to survive on that. IŽd count 500 euros a month for rent, electricity and heating (yes, you need heating in the winter here), plus at least 400 for food.

Petrol is now more expensive in Greece than in Norway.

DonŽt even think about bringing in your car, as youŽll pay tons of taxes. ItŽs cheaper to sell it in Norway and buy a new one here. You can get a decent small car for 2000-3000 euros.

Regards from Mamma Mia (originally from Norway)

Hi There !!

You can live on that amount of money if your careful with your pennys.

you can find a small apartment to rent in Athens for about 350-400 euro . Ask your Greek friends to help you or yo may be ripped off. Also remember to add (keeno-chris-ta) building fees eg cleaning, heating, lift etc
Tax ?
the EU law says that you pay tax to the country that you earn the most money in !!
health insurance ?
if you have good health insurance in Oslo and its reasonable try to keep that running, you can get either get IKA or TEVVA here in Greece.
IKA is health cover if you are employed or TEVVA is for the self employed. tevva is expensive.
The health system here is not good at the moment.

and last but not least Dont burn your bridges in Oslo