How to bring your car to Greece

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Greece, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Greece?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Greece, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Greece?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!


The import of your car is always topical, and on reading the forums seems to change almost daily.  So to give you the latest info I finished the process and received my Greek plates.
The whole process in Greece cost me 386 Euro, including the work of the importer I used but excluding the annual road tax.
For those interested the procedure I followed was:-
Greek Embassy in Holland Park, London presented them with:-
UK documents
- Council tax bills for the last 3 years
- Electricity, water bills for the last 3 years
- P45 & P60's for last three years
- UK Passport
- UK driving licence
- V5 for the car I intend to import into Greece
   Note: you must have owned this car for a minimum of 6 months
The paperwork was completed and posted to me within the week.

Get an import / export expert to prepare the paperwork.....this cost me 200 Euros, you just can not do this yourself…….even if you can read Greek and understand the forms….
They will require all the documents from the Greek Embassy and
- Deeds of purchase of your Greek plot of land or house
- Greek tax number document
- Greek address details

You have to within 30 days (very important) present this to Greek Customs (on this definitely do it within 20 days as time is critical), the importer will do all this for you but you have to be present.
Providing you meet these criteria there is NO import duty to pay.  I paid Customs 61 Euro...including the 31 Euro to the man who looked under the bonnet and showed the Customs Officer where the VIN Plate was !!!!!! (Jobs for the boys)
Then off to the ministry for vehicles with the Customs papers (technical dept) to obtain more paper.
They then issue even more paper....which you take to KTEO for the (MOT) test of compliance. Cost here 50 Euro.

Back to the ministry with this document, more paper issued and 75 Euro paid for the plates. (This you have to pay direct in a bank to their account .
The office will then issue the green vehicle "log book" which has to be taken to the tax office and the year’s road tax paid. Returning this proof of payment to the ministry office I got my Red Plates !!!!
The time all this took was painful, 4 hours two days running in customs and each visit to other offices about an hour a piece. Fantastic service at KTEO though.  Was it worth it……..yes, my car in the UK would be worth 4500 pounds.  Here the same aged vehicle would cost me 8000 Euro.

I can not guarantee all locations in Greece will be the same, but I found by being patient, putting up with the frustrating length of time things took to be checked and double checked in good humour pays off…..every one I came across were helpful.    (Just take a good book to read whilst you wait)

Hi Grocer,
Can you recommend an import/export agent in Greece? I'm moving to Kalymnos later this year and planning on driving my car over from the UK. I'm actually changing cars this summer and buying a used estate car. Not sure how I'll get round the 6 month ownership rule. I may try to reregister in Greece before the end of the 6 months period of grace.


Hi there,

Unfortunately I'm not in Greece at present  but it is not difficult to do yourself if you have time and follow the instructions I posted.  If you do need help there is a guy who's office is in the side street directly opposite the Tax Offices in Kalamata....can't recall his name though.


We will have the same to do, but is this 6-month-thing really a must?
We have one car bought two month ago and a trailer for the move 2 weeks ago.

Hope there is a chance to do it.


Talked with the custom office in Heraklion and they told me that I have 6 month to do this after move to Greece. So no problem.

New topic