Cost of importing a car

Hi all,

we are moving to Corfu in the near future but due to the pandemic our travel plans need to change.
As we are bringing a large dog we can only use certain airlines/planes and we are near Leeds so an extra drive to London would not be good for her.

Hence we are going to buy a lhd car in the uk and drive to Ancona and ferry from there.

We have never driven before so any tips welcome, which route, where to stay etc.

My main question is how do i find the rough cost of importing a car, we won't have owned the car for 6 month and cannot get through to embassy to get exemption certificate so we will have to pay the taxes etc.

many thanks in advance.

Am I missing something?

You can't drive from Leeds to London because it would be bad for your dog because of the distance, but you are willing to drive to Greece which is a lot further.

I don't understand.

A 3 hour drive plus 4 hours on the tarmac plus a 3 hour flight, however long at Athens before we can collect her. A long time in a cage. Then drive to Corfu and ferry.
If we drive we can stop over and take breaks as needed.
Happy to fly from Manchester as only a max of 8 hours and straight to Corfu. But no flights available now

Just one more thing since Brexit has happened you will need to apply for Visas etc..... I have a read of the UK Gov-Greece website.

We have had a house in the Peloponnese since 2008 and drive to and from Greece / UK sometimes with our Greek cat. Our house in the UK is not far from Leeds and so we know the route you are talking about.
There are issues concerning your pet as the EU Pet Passport is no longer valid for UK nationals. Since Brexit we leave the cat in the UK as it is easier - we have a further four cats and a dog in Greece.
Problem
Since Brexit UK nationals 'in theory' can only stay in Greece for 90 days and the same applies to their car - it used to be 180 days but not so now. We have applied and got Greek Residency which permits us to stay in Greece all year as well as get AMKA (Greek NHS) cover.
Problem 2
My local Police tell me that re registering my UK car is very expensive but I have to do it if I want to keep using it in Greece.
Has anyone been through the process since Brexit as a Third Country National?

Hi Stuart, how did you get on with your car? Did you import from UK?
Jules

Hi,
The Greek Embassy have not got back to me yet. I am in talks with Customs in Kalamata. I will post an update when l have some news. Bloody Brexit!!!!!

If you wait for the Embassy to get back to you you may be waiting for quite a while more. My advice is : keep pestering them.
Just wondered if anyone has any updates? We're looking to bring a campervan over to Greece later this year.

did you get anywhere - I am looking to import one later this year

We have obtained our Household Effects Certificate and had an agent check with M of Transport that the vehicle is acceptable. We plan to bring her over in July and will know more after that.

s

If this is a uk registered car and is not eurocap6 or kater forget it - you are being fooled