New in Bucharest

Hi all,

I am riki, native Rwandian, but raised in Belgium.

One year ago I moved to Bulgaria to work for Dell, i enjoyed there but now i am looking for a new adventure, which I found hopefully in Romenia :-)

I start working the 20th of September in the financial business for the company Genpact.

I will be staying in a hotel for 2 weeks, but i need some help to found the suitable accomodation, price range between 250 -400 eur

I also would like to know, where there is an expat meeting, so I can hopefully make some new friends

Could also someone provide me of the general living condition

Crimes
Prices ( shopping, food, drinks, restaurant,...)
Living costs ( utility prices, internet, mobile,...)

And if anybody can give me some tips, i would appreciate

Thanks

Riki

Hi Riki.
Usually, a good apartment, 2 rooms, in Bucharest, costs between 250 and 450 euros, depending on the neighborhood.
Food - for 4 or 5 euros you can get a nice meal in a restaurant, but prices may go higher if you choose to eat in the evening, and so on. Try the restaurants called La Mama, they have good food and nice prices.
Utility prices - they depend on the flat you rent: electricity is around 50 lei per month, meaning 10-15 euros. Heat and water in the winter are around 400 lei per month, but the prices decreases in the spring, summer and autumn, depending on the number of persons that live in the flat.
Mobile phones: Orange and Vodafone, a prepay card gives you 1000 minutes in the network and 60 outside your network for 5 euros, and for 8 or 10 euros you can get a subscription at your mobile and you will have plenty of free minutes to talk. Internet... I use RDS and it costs me 28 lei (7 euros) per month and i also receive a phone connection.
You say you lived in Bulgaria...the prices are a little higher in Romania, just add another 10% and you will know where you stand.
Example: McDonald Buzz: a burger is one leva (2,5 lei) in Bulgaria, in Romania the same burger costs 3,5 lei.

Crimes... not such a high rate as one would think, the country is quite ok now.
Expat meetings: I am sure of a few, but I never went to any of them.
Enjoy Romania, in case you need some more info, send me an email.

Hey Thanks,

This is very usefull info, specially for the utility costs I had no idea what the prices where here.

And I am sure I will enjoy Romenia, now only i have to found a nice apartment, but i guess an agenet is the best way to found quickly.

Once more thanks for your assistance

Riki

You're wellcome

Hi

and welcome, I can help you source an apartment.

Please tell me what area you would prefer, do you want to be close to work, the centre etc

BR

Dean Edgar
[email protected]

hi,

Thanks for your help, I would like to found an apartement close to Pipera, or at least near the tram/metro station. I hear Victoriia is a nice area and normally close to the tube towards Pipera.

best regards,

Riki

Hello riki_rwanda! :)

For accommodation, you should post an advert under Bucharest classifieds, category-accommodation.

It might also help.

Good luck

Regards,
Sheetul