Pets in Malta

Hey

I am considering getting a dog here - one that will not bark incessantly and annoy neighbours of course ;) - and I'm just looking for general advice.

Are there certain shops/breeders to be wary of? What are vet costs like compared to the UK? I assume you have to get all the jabs and stuff if you're getting a puppy- am I going to find myself stung with these prices?

I dont think I've ever noticed a vet around the sliema/gzira/st julians etc area, anyone know where any are situated?

And also... is it cliche that I really want a pug!

Why go to a pet shop ? Its much better to get a dog from one of the animal sanctuaries/rehoming centres - SPCA, Gozo SPCA, AAA, Noah's Ark etc. They will be fully vaccinated, neutered and microchipped.

Vets prices are somewhat lower than the UK.

georgeingozo wrote:

Why go to a pet shop ? Its much better to get a dog from one of the animal sanctuaries/rehoming centres - SPCA, Gozo SPCA, AAA, Noah's Ark etc. They will be fully vaccinated, neutered and microchipped.

Vets prices are somewhat lower than the UK.

I agree with georgeingozo...we got a dog almost 2 months ago now from Noah's Ark Animal Sanctuary in Mellieha. We LOVE him! His name is Shane, he's about 11 months old, mix breed (as most dogs seem to be)- we're thinking he's a lab mix of some sort. Anyhow, we just had to pay a 50 euro fee (to help cover their costs) and we took him home there and then. As georgeingozo said, he was already neutered, vaccinated (though we had to get pills for worms about a month after we got him-this is an ongoing thing for dogs so not the fault of the vet or shelter) and he was chipped too. I can only say from our experience, that so far he's been great! No real problems, though some major separation anxiety once we both started working full time and one of us weren't home all day anymore, but other than that he's a great dog.

They have so many dogs there too that need a good home! I would much rather home a much deserving dog that needs a family than buy one from a pet store. You can go any day of the week and check out the dogs, volunteer and walk them too if you like at Noah's Ark. Its definitely worth the trip up there to have a look! For us, this was the best decision we made, to get a dog and to get one from a shelter.

thanks everyone :) A shelter is definitely a much better idea, back in the UK my Mum always got ours from a Shelter it just didn't occur to me initially. I'll be checking out Noahs Ark :)

Hi ,

As for the vet in Sliema we can recommend our vet

Dr.Zoran Jankovic
email:[email protected]
Phone:00356 9984 8689

He has a website at vetmalta.com

Ricky

I received this information in an email from someone I know who volunteers at Noah's Ark and remembered this thread and thought some members of this community might like to know:

DEAR ALL
NOAH'S ARK needs HELP!!!! - "WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF MONEY AND HAVE JUST ABOUT ENOUGH TO FEED THE DOGS FOR ANOTHER WEEK.
THE SITUATION HAS BECOME CRITICAL.
PLEASE HELP US IN ANY WAY YOU CAN AFFORD: http://www.noahsarkmalta.org/donations.htm
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT, THANK YOU" please help out!!
One can also donate €2.33 (Lm1)  by sending a blank sms on 50617351
Thanks

Please help out!!
Vanessa Attard

For more info on Noah's Ark there are also a couple of Facebook groups too if anyone is interested and on fb:

Save Noahs Ark

facebook.com/group.php?gid=49790295145-Noah's Ark Sanctuary