Planning the best trip to Japan

Hello,
I'm a English student and I am trying to plan the best possible trip to Japan. I've been told asking to expats is the best way, so what would you absolutely want to see if you had only one week in your hands and this would be your first and last trip to the country?
Thanks a lot!

Im also coming to Japan for 10 days. Good question. lot of information online want to read the locals insights too. when are you going to Japan?

For a trip of 10 days to 2 weeks I would recommend visiting Tokyo, Kyoto, Yokohama, Mishima and Osaka

Tokyo: Tokyo Tower, Ghibli Museum, Shibuya Crossing, Asakusa, Rainbow Bridge, Imperial Palace, Harajuku, Tsukiji Fish Market

Kyoto: Kinkaku-ji Temple, Togetsukyo Bridge/Bamboo Forest, Gion, Kiyomizudera, Fushimi Inari Shrine

Mishima: Hire a car from here to explore the many lakes and villages around Mount Fuji, Visit Oshino Hakkai Village, Lake Kawaguchi, Shiraito Waterfall etc. International Driving License required.

Osaka: Osaka Castle and it's moat and gardens, Dotonbori

Yokohama: Haven't been there yet but heard it's fantastic and planning to visit in May.