Food in Bulgaria

Hello

Thought I'd start a discussion about the food in Bulgaria. I am particularly interested to know if you can get fresh cows milk in Bulgaria. Don't think I could live without milk in my tea and I can't stand that long life stuff. Can this be found in supermarkets? Bought from villagers or do you have to go to big towns for hypermarkets? Or maybe this is a stupid question altogether.

What is the food like in Bulgaria? Do they have gravy?

Over to you....

I like this idea of topic, and me too, I have TONs of questions!!:D

I love food and discovering new dishes, so if someone could tell me a bit more about Bulgarian food, that would make me very happy!!
Then, is it easy to find any kind of things in Sofia? Fruits and Veggies, more supermarkets, or markets? what about asian products?
Thank you

Elsa

The Bulgarian food is very close to both Greek and Italian. The base for most salads is vinaigrette, but you will find the typical dressings as well. Usually it is not spicy, but you can have it your way if you  prefer it spicy.

Sure you can find milk in almost every food store, ...and not, it is not only the long lived one full with preservatives. However, you can find 100% natural milk as well if you prefer to go to the villages and buy it that way. There you can get eggs, meats - usually chicken & pork and some other depending on the season.

Bulgaria has very diverse meals, but you have to live there to get to know them all. Spices are used, but not hot usually, unless you ask for it.

Bulgaria is still a place where you can find "housemaked" food, traditional cheese, butter, milk, meat, alcohol and so on.

Almost every big foreign supermarket can be found in Bulgaria - Billa, Carefour, Metro, Kaufland, Penny, Plus, Hit - and of course the local shops Pikadili and Elemag.

If you're a gourmet, you shall buy your food/drinks in ELEMAG - they're the only Bulgarian supermarket specialized in importing world cosine, a big selection of good foreign wines and so on.