Doing research: moving to CPH

Good day fellow expats,

I'm in the process of moving to Copenhagen and just started doing the necessary research. I have read a lot of the threads in this forum and other forums, blogs, etc. I have visited various cities in Denmark and mostly Copenhagen and I have a very good idea of the neighborhoods and most of the practicalities as a tourist staying with locals and doing the tourist thing but "the local way".

My questions, that I haven't seen answered anywhere are:

1) How does the job market look like in Copenhagen right now? I dunno if the worst is over regarding the financial crisis.

2) I speak Swedish fluently and understand written Danish with little difficulty. However, understanding spoken Danish is more difficult for me because of the way it sounds. The times I've been down there, I have used both Swedish and English and told people, in Swedish, that I don't understand Danish but I speak Swedish and that if they would speak slowly I may understand them. The responses I've got is that they understand Swedish and people have been very accommodating to me. The more I visit Denmark, the more I understand Danish but because I don't live surrounded by it, it's a bit harder for me to learn it.

Many people already living there, especially in this forum, say that no Danish = VERY hard to get a job. I understand this. BUT, with my Swedish, would it be LESS hard or just as hard?

My friends say that I have a high education from my mother land, I speak Swedish, English and Spanish fluently (Spanish being my mother tongue) and that it should be ok for me to just make the move. I don't doubt that they have very good intentions toward me, but in the end, they are Danes and they probably don't have the same issues I, as an immigrant, may have.

Also, I feel very insecure about not being able to understand the local language, and that makes me a little more shy in my approach. However, I'm looking into taking some classes before I make the move.

3) And this is the most stupid question and for that I apologize. If I don't manage to get a job before I move, I will move anyway. How do I go about getting a job? I mean, so far the jobs I've got have been thru job search websites or because someone knows someone. My Danish friends know of my intentions and they've said they'll keep their eyes and ears open, but I rather not rely on this *alone*. I haven't needed to go out and knock doors, which is why I ask for tips on how to proceed.

4) To determine the "right time" to move, is there a peak in the job/living arrangement markets? For instance, here, the biggest chances to get a job are between mid Jan and mid June and between mid Aug and mid Dec.

Right now, while I do my research about the other practicalities involved in moving and changing countries, I'm saving as much money as I can to make the big move.

Thank you very much in advance.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that I'm a Swedish citizen and that I don't just wanna rely on friends for the job part, I wanna be able to carry my own weight so to speak. Thanks.

Welcome to Expat.com, nose-todavia :)
I wish you will soon receive responses on your topic.
Cheers
Arlette

Hi nose-todavia.

I'll offer some answers to your questions, I hope it will help you about!

1) Not so good. Employers are getting a bit more courageous and there are some job openings, but most employers are still very careful. Currently, the Danish government is negotiating the finances for the next year and the main theme is "cutbacks". At the same time it's estimated that Denmark is slowly recovering from the crisis, but that is a matter of opinion depending on who you ask.

2) I probably have same difficulties (only reverse) regarding Danish and Swedish. It is true that speaking Danish will get you farthest, but that again depends on what sort of job you're looking for. Danish is not as needed when working in horticulture fox example, but if you are to have contact with clients/collegaues it is clearly a plus. Generally, though, the Danes are not that tough on Swedes as they are on non-Western foreigners (unfortunately for the non-Western foreigners). Maybe you could pretend that you are to advise ME on seeking job in Sweden (with my Danish skills and some knowledge on Swedish) it would maybe give you a good picture of what the situation is :D

3) Most jobs can be found on jobnet.dk]www.jobnet.dk which is equivalent to the Swedish arbetsformedlingen.se/platsbanken You could also contact your nearest EURES counsellor, all EU countries have them with explicit purpose to advise on jobs in the EU.

4) I think it's same here with best job possibilities (peak after Christmas holidays and after the summer vacation).

Hope that helps!

I'm sorry I haven't come back to thank you for your answers. Life got on the way.

I started taking Danish lessons here but I can't say that I've learned a lot, mostly because I have nobody to practice with and because Swedish isn't my mother tongue so my thought process is different than my Swedish classmates'.

What I'm used to working with is tech support/helpdesk and now tourism. However, I'm open to working outside of those areas.

I've been also looking for some intensive courses or immersion courses.

Thanks again and sorry for having been a jerk.

DKresearcher   right 100%

good luck