Residency and CPR without address

Hi there,

I've got a job in Copenhagen and I'm now looking at trying to rent an apartment. The landlords I have been in contact are asking for my CPR number, and will not rent out a place without me providing this.  I'm not sure how to get this without having an address first.

It looks like I get a residency cert. then the CPR but both ask for an address when making the application. Can you use a hotel, air b&b, or short let rental address for these? If not it seems like a problem I can't get around if I can't rent a property without this CPR number.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

A CPR number is strictly confidential, a number which you shall only use when you are in touch with the authorities, banks and insurance companies.

Therefore, never ever give your CPR number away. Keep the number as a secret as it's the key to your private life. Are you sure that you have been in contact with honest landlords and not scammers?

http://files.meetup.com/7056/Engels-lejekontrakt.pdf

The very, very best would be if your employer could help you as housings aren't the easiest thing in the world to find.

This is a market where I'll advise you to be cautious because of many scammers. If you find a room/apartment, you're welcome to send me a pm and I shall see what I can find out. You cannot find the housing in advance, you've got to see it. Even getting the key in hand isn't always enough as some dishonest people rent an air b&b for some days, set up an ad, pretend to be the owner, get your money, give you the key ......... and then the real owner returns. Especially be cautious if the ad is in English as ads are normally written in Danish. Serious landlords look for tenants in general, not for foreigners.

Wait until you have arrived, and then start finding a room where you can register. If the landlord will not allow this, leave him.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Denmark/commen … they_dont/

Let the employer help you if it's possible. If not, find a temporary place (hotel, hostel, ..........) for the first time after your arrival. It's not a good idea to find an abiding place from home even if it would be nice to have a place from the very beginning.

/Nellie

Thanks a lot for this info Nellie. That clears up a lot.

Thank you for you offer, I may contact you later about any places we find.

Hi both,

@nkb08158 - how did you manage to get around this?

I am looking to move over to Denmark, however similar problem to yours, I require a CPR to rent a property and vice versa. Its like what came first, the chicken or the egg?

Be of great help if you could provide with some direction of what possible solution there is.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

N

Landlords don't need your cpr.number at all. I could imagine that they want to checque you in Ribers (a company which registers all bad payers), but they only need your birthday information for this purpose. It will be okay to give the landlords this information, but not the last four numbers.

My answer to nbk08158 is still valid. Never give your cpr.number to people who aren't entitled to claim this.

Some housing companies also ask for it because they cooperation with the authorities in order to apply for subsidies for you. You'll not be entitled to this as you aren't a EU citizen why it is not relevant for you.

Do ask why they want the cpr.number and ask them if other information could satisfy them, e.g. that your employer guarantees for you in some way.

/Nellie