Will I get along in Mauritius :-)

Hi all,

I am from Senegal, currently finishing my PhD in the UK. My university is opening a branch in Mauritius and I am considering to join in as lecturer.

Though I am just wondering about how life is there and if I would get along easily :-)

Also could one get a descent lifestyle and manage to save with salary ranging between MUR 50K - 65K ?

Many thanks :-)

Hi
There is no reason that you "won't get along" here in Mauritius, the people are very friendly and welcoming, year round good weather and if your thinking of joining a New University, then you will be in at the start of the new venture so always very good.

Why not come for a year this is enough time for you to make your mind up if Mauritius is right for you.

I think most people will agree that the salary is more than sufficient for you to have a quality lifestyle here.

Accomodation prices - well depends where you want to live, however accomodation is affordable here, but again all depends on what you want.

Where will your New University be based? As it will be good to get accomodation fairly near to where you work to save on travel time.

If you read through the many post's I am sure you will find people asking similar questions as you.

Good luck :)

Hi

Yes you should do fine here with a monthly salary in that range.  Do bear in mind that the cost of food shopping in Mauritius is comparable to UK prices.

In spite of that, you should have a decent lifestyle. Accommodation can range from MUR 10,000 a month to MUR 60,000 depending on what you're looking for. As suggested in earlier posts do look for a place as close as possible to your work. It's true that most locals are friendly and pleasant.

Income tax here is a flat 15% after an initial exemption of MUR 275k per annum.

Satellite TV might cost you around MUR 400 to 1100 for the basic to premium package - Canal sat for French channels or DSTV for English channels.

In all, you should do well with your salary.

Hi
I relocated from UK in Jan this year, like everyone before me said, people are friendly and overall it's really good. I am only in my 2nd month and well settled. Cost of living is comparable to UK, so a good salary in UK is good in Mauritius aswel. Food shopping is very costly.