Sao Paulo

Hello, I am a Dutch girl who has been dating a brazilian guy for almost 1 year. I met him in Amsterdam, where we both live. He is moving back to Brazil (Sao Paulo) in 3 months. I will visit him in december. I was wondering if anybody has any advice about moving to Sao Paulo in general, and about jobs in particular. And what about the visum (The Netherlands <-> Brazil)? I've worked as a freelancer for seven years. As a health coach and trainer (communication,assertiveness,timemanagement,etc.). Maybe you know interesting people in this workfield I could get in touch with.
Thanks!

Hey Lucie, SP one of the best places in Brazil to look for a job (you mean SP city right and not a country side city?) but communications is one if not THE most competitive industry in Brazil, so finding a job will be difficult, however you speak English so that is a plus. Although, if you are not fluent (i mean fluent) in Portugeuse then your chances are really slim. You have to have a job before you can apply for a work visa, and then it has to be processed through the consulate. if you are planning on getting married for your visa, you can enter as a tourist, get married, and then apply for a permanent visa at the Federal Police. SP is not an easy city to live in by no means so i wish you all the luck.

boa sorte!

Lucie78,

Mallorylise is right on.  I moved to SP 5 months ago and I can share my experience with you.  It might sound harsh but Brazil is not a country that provides a lot of help for foreigners.  If you plan to come for sure, use these 3 months to learn Portuguese.  In terms of job opportunity, get a job first and then transfer is much easier.  That way, you don't have to deal with VISA issue and worry about supporting yourself.

If you are thinking further down the road and considering marrying a Brazilian and apply for the permanent VISA, by ALL MEANS apply in Holland. 

Oh, and the cost of living in SP is not cheap (at least I was in shock).  There are a lot of information in gringoes.com.  Go and read through it.  I wish I did that a year ago.

Good luck!

How did you guys meet new people? Via an expat-group or through work? I've worked as a freelancer since 2003, so I'm not sure what sort of work I could do in Brazil. Are there also US or British companies in Sao Paulo I could work for? I can speak Dutch, English, French and a little Swedish and Spanish. I did a course of Portugese and know the basics, but learning it by heart means living in Brazil, I suppose...
Thx 4 your response!

Lucie78 wrote:

How did you guys meet new people? Via an expat-group or through work? I've worked as a freelancer since 2003, so I'm not sure what sort of work I could do in Brazil. Are there also US or British companies in Sao Paulo I could work for? I can speak Dutch, English, French and a little Swedish and Spanish. I did a course of Portugese and know the basics, but learning it by heart means living in Brazil, I suppose...
Thx 4 your response!

There are freelance work in Sao Paulo.  As any gringa/gringo in Sao Paulo, Brazil, it is difficult but not impossible to find work.  I also learned that to find work is about who you know and not what you know.  Sign up at www.gringoes.com and check out the "Find work in Brazil" section in the forum and there are plenty of experience/information noted there.

In terms of meeting new people, there are ex-pat network in the internet.  Sao Paulo has a pretty large network I believe.  There  were over 200 people show up in the last event.

Hi Lucie78, welcome on Expat.com :)
You might want to post a free ad in the Classifieds Brazil.
Whishing you success,
Cheers
Arlette

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, I am considering to move to Sao Paulo because have a job offer. I speak Portuguese and I think I want to leave in the City. The comment made by Malloryelise worries me: "SP is not an easy city to live in by no means" - Can somebody provide more details?
pepe

guapopepe,

traffic is horrible, transport public is horrible, life is expensive.

but people are really nice if that can give you a bit of joy :)

Thanks Hopla,

I recently spent one week in Sao Paulo and really loved interacting with people. I agree with you, Paulistas help take the decision to dive in this great city.