How difficult is legally owning a firearm in brazil for an expat.

I was reading about it somewhere, i would need to have had citizenship or something for 4 years if memory serves. cant find the legislation now. but how feasible is it do you think?

No, you can own a firearm with a permanent residence. Now it is a long process, including a mental health assessment and a criminal background check — that can drag on for months. You also need to justify why you need a gun.
The army, grants permits to hunters and collectors.
Congrees still is debating the president's actions.

it does feel like it could get all undone if and when Bolsonaro is out, not a fan of him but personally i think its one thing hes done thats a positive for the country. just curious is it a very expensive process?

If you are in Brazil, go to a gun shop or the PF office and ask.
In Brazil, all firearms are required to be registered with the minimum age for gun ownership being 25. For citizens to legally own a gun, they must have a gun license, which costs R$88,00, and pay a fee every ten years to renew the gun register. The registration can be done online or in-person with the Federal Police.

As mentioned, you will need a good reason to own one. If you say just for home safety will not fly.

Brazil has no second amendment. Even for law abiding citizens with zero infractions, it's almost impossible to own a Firearm. Because of this tragedy, most people walk the streets in fear, especially the elderly, the disabled and women.

Xpat-Forever wrote:

Brazil has no second amendment. Even for law abiding citizens with zero infractions, it's almost impossible to own a Firearm. Because of this tragedy, most people walk the streets in fear, especially the elderly, the disabled and women.

It is true there is no 2nd amendment in Brazil. In a recent poll 2 out of 3 Brazilians do not want the sale of guns, yet the sale of guns has risen 69% in the last 2 years.

I was once told by an American security person here in Brazil that having a defense weapon in your home is like painting a target on your home.

I understand the desire to try to protect yourself where there seems to be few alternatives to self-protection but if you need that assurance perhaps Brazil is a bad place to be. This place currently has a homicide rate of  just under 30/100k population (USA is under 5/100k) - note it is really difficult to find statistics but the point is that there's a lot more homicide here. There are also a lot of guns here in spite of laws controlling ownership.

Don't jump to the erroneous conclusion that I am fervently against gun ownership. I would just rather have an awesome home security system, a private service that responds quickly to alarms and great relationships with my neighbors just over the walls of our home. Is that 100%? Nothing is 100%.

Oh, another thing - living an ostentatious life rich in consumer goods in a basically poor country is a pretty good "bait" for trouble. Blend in. That was the second piece of advice from the already mentioned security person. Brazilian thieves are pretty good at scoping out their targets.

so if its almost impossible for a law abiding citizen to own firearms, how come there has been a massive surge in firearms sales?

Xpat-Forever wrote:

so if its almost impossible for a law abiding citizen to own firearms, how come there has been a massive surge in firearms sales?

I had one of my houses burglarized a couple times, a vacant one.  The Thief was so incompetent, that upon evading my home, he left his rubber shower shoes ( havaianas ) and a sweater behind.   All for scrap metal he could sell to buy drugs. 

If you live in Rio, then you are taking your chances. 

In Sao Paulo it comes to your choice of neighborhood, and local knowledge.  

A cabbie ( taxi driver for non Americans ) once got robbed at gun point. He went to the known Drug Kingpin to complain, and turned in the assailant.   A couple days later, the assailant turns up, all maimed, returning the money and asking for an apology.  

In posh neighborhoods where law enforcement prevails, you are less likely to get mugged., At worst a pickpocket thief might snatch your cell phone. 

In not so great neighborhoods, you must know how to get to the Don. 

Also, please don't flaunt.  Let the Brazilians to take the hit, with their quest to keep up with the Joneses.  Drive a cheap domestic car, one of those 1000cc jobs.  Mine sits on a front driveway, full of piggeon turd, dents, and my home is a large one.  The nicer the car, the house, the more they stand to reason you are a mark. 

I dress differently, so I attract my fair share of pesky  beggars.  They are like flies.  And I don't even dress dapper. 

Also get used to take a cab, just don't sit at the bus stop. You will be a  sitting duck. Subway and trains are ok, as they are heavily patrolled, and there are surveillance  cameras everywhere.

On the curbside, keep your cell phone out of sight.  If you are to take a call or message, find a place out of the pedestrian pathway before you are to return that call. 

Be mindful telemarketing firms in Brazil are tricky, They spoof their calls with cell phone numbers.   So get used to record your callers, and let the phone ring. 

Your typical Brazilian caller, poor or rich, is such a cheapskate they don't even bother to use dial tone, they go straight to whatssapp. So you know the call is legit if they are using whatsapp.    

As for guns, you shoot one of those bastards, you stand to get into a whole lot of trouble for actually doing the right thing. 

If I could do a bow and arrow, or knife, or anything lethal, I would.  I haven't come up with a practical one. 

Quoting Tsun Zu, battles are won before they are fought.  So preemptive and preventive are your best allies. 

On second thoughts, there are no laws as far as keeping a vicious dogs in your home.  Get a mean dog, and take it for walks.  

Also get used to take a cab, just don't sit at the bus stop. You will be a  sitting duck. Subway and trains are ok, as they are heavily patrolled, and there are surveillance  cameras everywhere.

On the curbside, keep ...

Your right, Need to be humble in appearance and how you are, However I have a pack of cane corsos at my household. Walking down any street everyone avoids because not many people see this breed here. Have one presa canario as well. hes toppled with me from canada. However, dont go out and get mean dogs, as that can even backfire on you as well. As in recent news owners getting attacked by their own pitbulls randomly. Same thing with the breeds I have. even just a noisy dog or as matt was saying. Best security is knowing your neighbors and having that local social pool and being part of your immidiate community. 

you got a point.

The ones I picked up were from a reputable breeder close to my city. Its not his source of income, Dogs were showdogs and each dog gets training before it lands to you so that saved me so much time. lol

But sounds weird. I do feel that not drawing out a lavish lifestyle will get you anywhere here. as you can see in LA - more and more people getting robbed who use rich cars rich clothes at a higher frequency. 

But what I do see more of lately in high frequency is more people brandishing their phones and items more freely.

Not sure what the case of causing that kind of care free mentality. but its been gaining pace. But I am in the northeast. not sure if that has anything to do with it.

just stay out of cities. worldwide, civilization is crumbling and cities are becoming more and more dangerous.  small town and rural folk are generally more honest and friendly, everywhere .....

I am a retired Madison Wisconsin police detective planning to move to Brazil at some point with my wife. I have guns here in the US because I used them for work, but I would never even consider trying to take one to Brazil. Gun violence has become so horrendous in the US. I have no desire to see it become as bad in Brazil. If you stay out of the large cities, use reasonable precautions when out in smaller cities, and use home security and/or dogs, you will be perfectly safe without having to try to get guns into the country. But I am not a particularly fearful person either, and I trust my instincts (and my wife) to help keep us both safe.

I was once told by an American security person here in Brazil that having a defense weapon in your home is like painting a target on your home.

I understand the desire to try to protect yourself where there seems to be few ... - @mberigan

___

Something to keep in mind, the majority of Brazilians live in a very few large cities, whereas in the USA, the population is much more spreqad out.  

I am not sure about your US homicide rate statistics as St. Luois in 2019' was at over 64/100k, and Baltimore at 58/100k. 

</span>

Something to keep in min, the majority of Brazilians live in a very few large cities, wheras in the USA, the population is much more spread out. 

In addition, I am not so sure where you got your statistics, "According to Atlas da Violencia 2019, Sao Paulo has a homicide rate of 13.2/100 000 inhabitants. This is nearly one-third of the homicide rate from Rio de Janeiro (35.6/100 000)."  

https://expatriateconsultancy.com/is-sa … han%20Rio.

In comparison, in 2019, St, Louis had a homicide rate of over 65/100k and Baltimore was at 58/100K.

[link under review]

Key is to stay away from densely populated areas.  

There are low crime communities out there. The farther south and midwest, the better. 

Magnets for petty crime are tourist destination places, generally the coastline ( South being an exception ).

If you want to live close the the coast line, contemplate living in a community close enough but not on the coastline.  Unless it is a seafaring community.

If the place is industrious, then there is less prevailing crime.

Most of the State of Parana, Santa Catarina, Rio Grande do Suil outside Porto Alegre. Minas for most part, Sao Paulo, specially on its hinterland.