Female worker family sponsorship in oman

Hi if female worker earning handsome in private medical setup in Oman can sponsor her family? What if her hiring company do not allow her to sponsor her family because of some laws that female workers can not sponsor family in Oman and only male can. Can she directly apply to ministry to sponsor her kids and husband. Someone to me that this rule applies to those female workers who are not earning well and can not look after families if allowed to sponsor.....would some please let me know what the real situation is and how to fix this?

Thanks nadeen

Hi drasi,

As per the Omani Labour Laws, family sponsorship is a privilege which is granted only to employed male expatriates who meet with certain predefined criteria.

It is not about the earning potential of employed female expatriates. It is more of a cultural thing. I don't want to say any more and sound chauvinistic here !

Secondly, please note that if one is employed as an expatriate in Oman every single official thing has to be necessarily routed only through the sponsor, i.e., the employer. There is no absolutely question of bypassing the employer and approaching some ministry seeking favors directly. It is simply something that cannot be done, or something that will even be entertained.

And lastly, there is nothing anybody can do to "fix" this issue. A rule is a rule for everyone. (How I wish I can say 'No exceptions' !).

Thanks a lot ...point taken