Cost of living in Argentina – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Argentina in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Argentina you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Argentina?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

nowadays is very expensive to live in Argentina.

@ datan > Maybe you can give us further details concerning your post? Which services are very expensive in Argentina please?

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Not only is it true that it is very expensive to live in Argentina, but it is difficult to budget or financially plan when inflation is up to 40% a year (or more, depending on the commodity). 

It is also somewhat deceptive to plan your budget using foreign currency, such as the US dollar, because the "official" rate is a bold-faced lie, and the black-market rates (aka- the "blue" or "parallel" rates) fluctuate so frequently.  Oh, and did I mention that you cannot legally acquire foreign currency at the official rate, and that Argentine pesos have no value outside the country?  Yeah, about that...

According to the Argentine government not too long ago, you can eat on AR$6 a day (yes, that is six PESOS a DAY) and live on AR$13 for all your other needs.  They also claim that inflation is not more than 10% a year, so it is no wonder that so many people come here completely unprepared, only to leave broke, pissed off, and in a shell-shock state of disbelief.

The only thing that I would say is cheap is public transportation, ranging from about AR$3.00 - 4.50 per ride, depending on your mode of transportation and the distance being traveled.  Anything else- including food, insurance plans, utility bills, tuition, etc. only goes up (and up... and up) at the drop of a hat.  I don't even bother going out to eat or to the movies anymore, it's too darned expensive on a teacher's salary!

If I weren't married to an Argentine with an Argentine child, if I could go back in time, I'd probably have set my sights elsewhere.

Thanks Vagrant Violet ... kind of sobering news, but accurate. (I really enjoy these threads, btw)