Bangladesh, Pakistan and India refugee claims in Brazil

http://g1.globo.com/Noticias/Brasil/foto/0,,11702397,00.jpg

Brazil clearly is doing its part on the global scene at taking in refugees from all parts of the world. The country, however, has not simply thrown open the doors to anyone who may find their way to Brazilian soil; the government is quite experienced in determining just who and who isn't a legitimate refugee claimant. Generally speaking, Brazil will only grant refugee status to those applicants coming from nations that are presently embroiled in Civil War or similar conflicts, or have been ravaged by some major natural disaster.

So, lets look at some of the figures from 2013 (the last year for which figures are available) and see exactly what that means for citizens of Bangladesh, Pakistan and India.

In 2013 a total of 5,256 refugee claims were made during the year. During the same year only 649 refugee claims were actually accepted. The top 3 nations in relation to acceptance of refugee claims granted were Syria, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Colombia. It appears that the emphasis in 2014-5 will be placed on citizens of Palestine fleeing the conflict there.

By far the most were made by claimants coming from Bangladesh - 1,837. Of those, not one single claim was accepted and refugee status was not given to any of the applicants.

Pakistani claimants fared only slightly better. During the year there were 100 refugee claims made by Pakistani citizens. Of those only 32 claims were accepted, or less than one third.

There were no refugee claims made by citizens of India in 2013, since citizens of that nation view Brazil, and with good reason, as a country that is not potentially receptive to their claims.

Refugee status is by definition reserved for those individuals who face a real and present risk to their life or physical safety because of conflict or persecution. It is NOT intended as a means of getting around established immigrations rules by those who are simply seeking a better way of life and better economic conditions. Brazil traditionally views claimants coming from Bangladesh, Pakistan and India purely as "economic refugees" and this accounts for the extremely low number of claims accepted.

This is also the reason that, for citizens of these countries, it is much more difficult to obtain any category of visa for Brazil. In most other countries one will be granted a 5 year, multiple entry VITUR Tourist Visa without any real problems. Citizens of Bangladesh, Pakistan and India rarely ever receive anything more that a "single use" visa that will permit a stay of anywhere from 7 to 30 days upon their first application. Only following a successful visit to Brazil and returning to one's homeland would they be considered for a longer visa upon subsequent applications.

For those coming to Brazil to seek refugee status, remember that for the most part your mobility will be severely restricted by the Brazilian government during the investigation of your claim. In some cases you will be required to reside in a shelter and keep the government informed of your place of residence at all times. In other cases you will be required to report regularly and keep the government informed of your whereabouts at all times. If your claim is not accepted then you not only must leave the country immediately, but you also must bear the full cost of doing so. If you do not do so, then you are deported and would never be allowed to return under any circumstances.

(Source:  United Nations High Commission for Refugees)

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi John please advise me current sitituation on refugee I know in 2013 things were different can you tell me about 2014 . Or new policy of govt which they announced for refugees .
Thanks
Faisal

Nothing has changed. It's as difficult as ever for citizens of Bangladesh, Pakistan and India to obtain any category of visa... the requirements are much tougher than for any other nations.

The prospects for refugee claims for them is still just as dim and likely the acceptance rate for such claims will continue to be extremely low or near zero.

Cheers,
James

HEY mate thanks for your blog its full of good knowledge and help.. i wish to apply for a refugee asylum in two days and my visa for brazil will finish in next ten days so can i still apply for it ? and how long they take to answer for my apeal ? can i get marry in that time they took to answer my apeal? give me advice
thank you

I'm sorry to tell you, but no you cannot apply for refugee status now. It must be applied for immediately upon arrival.

Also without a valid visa you will not be able to remain in the country or marry.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

thank you for your advice ,, so as per your advice i cant apply for asylum refugee because i am in brazil since long time?

That is correct, the international conventions that govern refugee claims require persons to make their claim immediately on arrival in the first safe place.

Since, in most cases, refugee claims are based upon a real, present and physical danger and India is not undergoing civil unrest, or natural disasters. You may find that you won't be able to make a refugee claim elsewhere either since you won't be viewed as a true refugee, and because you didn't do it in Brazil (if this is the first country you have been to outside your homeland).

You certainly can try to apply now when you are at the airport to leave, but they're just going to tell you the same thing... get on the plane.

Ok, just so that everybody is clear on what the purpose of a refugee status claim really is please pay close attention:

Refugee status claims are only accepted from those individuals who are genuinely at risk, whose life or physical safety are threatened. Traditionally refugee claims are ONLY accepted from citizens of countries that are undergoing civil war or civil unrest, or have been ravaged by natural disasters.

Refugee claims ARE NOT simply a means to get around immigration laws or to jump the queue to get ahead of those who came before you. They are also not intended to be used by those who are seeking to leave a country where there are poor economic conditions and obtain a better standard of living. Every refugee claim MUST be founded on some (real) emergency situation and they are judged on a case-by-case basis.

You cannot make a refugee claim at any other time than immediately upon arrival in a "safe nation". So if you've come to Brazil as a tourist and spent your vacation here, you can't simply make a refugee claim in order to avoid leaving the country - that simply won't work.

You likely will not be able to make a refugee claim if your passport shows that you have (prior to arrival in Brazil) been admitted into another "safe nation" and did not immediately claim refugee status there upon arrival.

AGAIN, REFUGEE STATUS IS FOR PEOPLE AT RISK - NOT FOR THOSE WISHING TO LEAVE DEPRESSED ECONOMIES (NOT HERE IN BRAZIL, NOR ANYWHERE ELSE).

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Sir,
Would you like to please let me know about the Refugee claims at the airport in brazil once arrived there.

Thank you kindly
M B Shamsher

Moosa

You will need to inquire at the immigration with the Federal Police.

Jim

This kind of people creating bad image of our country after taking refugee . India is fastest growing country . In my opinion this kind of people should be send to jail in India .