IT Consultant with 7 Yrs exp

Hi Everyone,

I am an IT Consultant (7 yrs exp) living in India and am in the offer neg. phase with one of the companies in Riyadh. Fortunately I have many certificates in IT consulting area and I have done my interview rounds well and now will need any of your help in asking for the right package.

Also if someone can throw light into the cost of living in RIyadh.

About my family.. I will tend to relocate my entire family.. My parents, wife and 3 yr old kid to Riyadh.

My requirements are to have a decent living.. 2 bedroom compound / good 2 bedroom apartment, Indian international school for my Kid, a basic 2nd hand car for commutation and general house hold expanses (internet, electricity, car insurance, Telephone etc.) I am pretty much conservative to the fact that I dont go out frequently for eating / shopping etc. Also we are vegetarians(not sure whether this will make any difference). Keeping this in mind can someone throw light on how much  is a decent amount for living in Riyad.

Also pls keep in mind that I will definitely need to save around 90,000 Riyals an Year since I have some commitments back in India which I need to fulfill. Today in India I am saving easily about 30-40K Indian Rupees a month and my montly package is close to 1,00,000 Indian Rupee / month.

Pls help.

If this is a "Situation Wanted" posting, please post in the Classifieds.

This is a Chat forum.

I am just seeking an advice from the fellow members of Saudi. I believe this is not a "Situation wanted" post.

Any advice will greatly help me.

Would have helped if you'd converted the rupees to riyals for us (sorry if I sound lazy but if you're asking people for help, you should make it as easy as possible for them).

How much are you being offered (initially) by the Saudi company?

Local companies do not necessarily have a structured HR Grade/Pay policy for such jobs. You could easily be paid from SR 5K per month to SR 100K per month in this field. The range is more like the grand canyon.

Everything depends on the employer.

Thanks Music man. I will keep posted after I finish my offer negotiations.

AllieCat. 1 SAR = 12 Indian Rupee.

Any advice in IT Consulting area will greatly help...typically the salary bands viz a viz experience.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

As an employer, let me tell you the truth about something.

About my family.. I will tend to relocate my entire family.. My parents, wife and 3 yr old kid to Riyadh.

Is very unattractive to me. And I would honestly cancel thinking about employing you. I'm not being cold hearted, I'm being truthful about it. Now if you found an employer to say OK to that, then that's great for you. And I hope they stick to their word.

The next matter.

save around 90,000 Riyals an Year

Which makes me think you're looking for a job offer in the 200,000 - 300,000 SAR /yr. margin (talking package deal, car+medical insurance, housing, travel for 5ppl, car, blah blah blah). This is of course split up a million different ways between each item to get me and you both lost :)

And then schooling for your child. I don't know how much that school costs.

I'm being truthful here, not a jerk, not picking on you directly. But this is very unattractive to me, the IT market is extremely competitive and you know this.

But if this is what you want, the package I would look for is the prices I put up. You could probably do less, I don't know how much you would spend per month. Some people spend 1,000 SAR a month, some people spend 5,000 SAR a month. It's all about you.

You could probably find this, and a lot more here in Saudi. I know employers who have hired secretaries with that kind of salary and who's hired IT people who barely know how to setup a new Windows Live account. It's all about you and your luck. This also depends on your experience location, was it all in India? We all know how the market is there, and the amount of "IT" professionals that have come out of there. So the region doesn't help you much I'm afraid either.

Whatever happens, g'luck.

Thanks Beezer for your reply. You just shared your opinion. Nothing wrong or right about it. I am just asking my questions.. Thats all!!

Hello All..

The company has agreed for a 20,000SAR/month inclusive all with an yearly Bonus that will range from 3-4 times of the basic salary which will be 40000-50000 SAR / Annum. Is this good for a family of 4 adults and 1 child? As discussed.. I am looking at a-

1. 2 bed apartment in Olaya (main question-In Saudi is there a restriction for the number of people to stay in an apartment.. like-in a two bed apartment there cannot be more than 2 adutls or something like that?)
2. Indian International school for my Kid
3. Grocery and household
4. Transport - a basic (hatchback) second hand car
5. Any Misc expenses

Is this Salary enough..

In my perspective I think i will spend 4-5k for Apartment and 1k for my kid's school, 1k for transport, 3k for grocery and household and 1k for any misc expenses. So a total of 10-11K per month. Is my assumption correct?? I am afraid..

In my perspective I think i will spend 4-5k for Apartment and 1k for my kid's school, 1k for transport, 3k for grocery and household and 1k for any misc expenses. So a total of 10-11K per month. Is my assumption correct?? I am afraid..

From the threads I've read, I think you can live decently spending much less money.  With the numbers you've given, I think you can live well.  Remember that gasoline is cheap here, food is subsidized and depending on the area, apt. rents seem reasonable.

I could be wrong (musicman would be the expert here) but I think you're budgeting 'over,' rather than 'under,' which is a good thing; ie. you will be pleasantly surprised at the end of the month.

Best of luck :)

Thank you very much Alliecat. This gives some confidence.Thanks!

All apt. buildings have rules. You have to see what they agree to. But they all just usually require a full family, so you should be fine. As long as you don't make it a problem for neighbors.

As far as the apt. rent being anywhere between 4 - 5k. I dunno about that, I have workers who are renting at 20,000 max and 10,000 min. And they don't have their adult parents with them.

2 BR apt in Olaya will cost at least SR 30K per annum at the bare minimum. I used to pay 40K per annum for a three floor villa in Sulaimaniya a few years back but things have chaged dramatically in these towns.

Groceries will amount to approx SR 2K per month for a family of 4 living well

Used Car will cost at least SR 20K+ for something that runs decently. You can even buy a brand new Toyota Corolla on monthly payments for about SR 1K per month over 4-5 years. Its very easily done now although you end up paying a chunk of interest at the end of the day. Still a new car is safer than a used one in these parts for maintenance can crucify you wholesale.

Other costs are minimal.

20K per month is a decent salary. You may save around 10K if u budget yr expenses accordingly.

Good Luck

Thanks Musicman and Beezer for your inputs. It really helps a lot and instills confidence...

Never ventured, never won man....
Go for it
Good Luck

Thanks Musicman.. I will be there by November! I have decided!!

Thats wonderful. Will meet up when you come. Maybe we could share some of the work that I get since I work as a single private consultant?

Sure will keep posted...