Safety in Cairo

Hi Guys, my name is Joe and l currently live in Scotland but have been offered a job as a Golf Professional in Egypt Cairo but as you all probably know the news does not poetry the city as SAFE so any info regarding Cairo would be great. Thanks Joe

Hey Mido,

I am currently in talk with this company, J W Marriott, Mirage City Heliopolis, Ring Road, Cairo Governorate 11757, Egypt

Thanks
Joe

Hi Mid0,

They have offered me accommodation in the hotel compound but what would it be like if l was to venture out with?

Thanks
Joe

Hi Joe,

congrats for your offer
i can say that cairo is safe now if u need an overall answer but still depends on where u will gonna be like any other country not only Egypt
in ur first couple of weeks u will find it a bit difficult or different but after that will be fine and u will get used to know everything around "same as moving to any new country"
so simply dont listen to the media which focus only on the actions, whatever u will face in ur fist days will be the same as when u travel to any country at the beginning
so come man and be sure u already have friends here :)

Hi there Joe.

Im also Scottish and currently live in Egypt, although I live in Sharm I regularly travel to Cairo and even at the height of the troubles I faced no difficulties. I would recommend Egypt as a great place to live so if you have nothing to lose just go for it and give it a try.

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for all the info regarding my issue. It has given me a boost towards coming to Egypt.

Thanks again.
Joe

I'll look you up when I get there and we can talk about my slice :)

Make sure you do loosescoots!

Unlike what you hear/see on the news from the UK, the realty on the ground is totally different.  a French citizen, I have spent about 4 months in Cairo last year - albeit living in Rehab working in New Cairo with travels to Central Cairo - and can confirm that at no single time I came across any issue other than the crazy driving and traffic one quickly gets used to.

There are obvious measures one should take - similar to those if you leave in Glasgow or Edinburgh: avoid certain areas at night, be respectful of local culture and sensibilities etc.

Egyptian from Cairo - who I worked with - are the kindest I ever come across in my travels.  So please go and enjoy your work

Hi Jo.

I am Tracy. Ex pat British living in cairo on and off since 2011.
Like any countries Capital City you take precautions such as not leaving you wallet in view or fancy watches etc. Of course there are districts you would avoid as a foreigner at night which are just the locals. However there are many very safe areas in Cairo with Police everywhere so do not worry yourself unecessarily. If you would like more info as to where to avoid and where is safe and good please just ask.

Tracy

Thank you very much for all the info guys. It's very much appreciated.

Joe

it is very safe
hi , tour guide in Cairo , if you need any help or tour

(Moderated: no free ads on the forum pls + register in the business directory)

Hi Joe...I just  realised....I think  you will be in the Marriott Heliopolis? Thats very far from the downtown area and you are next to the airport, If u are there, then its a decent area but not so much to do there

Hi, did you move yet?

I live a few miles from Jw Marriott and as a lady I never travel there alone as it is quite a secluded area and it is quite difficult to get a taxi.  However, many expats play golf there and the BOGOF bar is always teeming with expat people with vast experience of living in that area (jw also has private villas on the land).

Cairo itself is not as safe as some profess, but it is also not as bad. If you are comparing it to the UK I'd say keep the same open mind that shit can happen.  Burying ones head is not advisable. Cairo is vast, it has its elite areas, it has its less desirable. Try to hang out with one of the umpteen expat golfers from the Marriott and learn the geography and safe or  no go zones.

Hi peanut69,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will be over there in the next few weeks. My visa is in process and I'm dying to get there. I will be coming to Egypt with a open mind but when I'm out there dome friendly faces would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

Hi Joe

Once you get here and you see the golfing life and how regular trips take place to the Golf Hotel and Little Venice etc you will soon make a good circle of friends.  It is easier to move around in groups, especially with folk who are a) familiar with the city b) people who speak a little lingo.

Golfing life here is massive and the social circle is much fun.

Hope you enjoy your move

papabey wrote:

Unlike what you hear/see on the news from the UK, the realty on the ground is totally different.  a French citizen, I have spent about 4 months in Cairo last year - albeit living in Rehab working in New Cairo with travels to Central Cairo - and can confirm that at no single time I came across any issue other than the crazy driving and traffic one quickly gets used to.

There are obvious measures one should take - similar to those if you leave in Glasgow or Edinburgh: avoid certain areas at night, be respectful of local culture and sensibilities etc.

Egyptian from Cairo - who I worked with - are the kindest I ever come across in my travels.  So please go and enjoy your work

Hey Joe, have a nice relocation!
Thi quoted message says all the truth. If you take the normal precautions, respect the local culture and you are VERY careful in the streets as a driver or pedestrian, you don't have something to be afraid of.
Cheers!