Travelling on guaguas and busses with heavy luggage.

Hola!  I'm new on the forums, my name is Daniel.  I am flying to Santiago tonight/tomorrow and it just occurred to me to ask the forum if I will be 'allowed' to ride a guagua with a gigantic (50+ pounds) backpack and also smaller 'carry-on' pack.  Is a guagua a truck? van? car? bus?  I can't visualize what the seating situation will be like (if it's anything like it is in Asia there will be twice the number of people crammed into the vehicle.  Would they make an exception if I paid for a second seat or something?

I am arriving at Santiago at 3am and trying to get to Kite Beach, just west of Cabarete.  My plan is: wait on a chair at the airport until Santiago wakes up, catch a bus to Sosua (I believe 8:15 is the earliest bus I saw available based on my online research?), and then catch a "guagua" to Cabarete.  Anyone know if I can take a moto taxi or something kite beach?  Is the DR the kind of place where if I don't know how much transportation is supposed to cost, they will take advantage by charging me extra?  Is it rude to negotiate a price for transportation or are you expected just to accept the first price they quote?

Also, how do you say "kite beach" in Espanol - playa del "kite," or something close to that? 

THANK YOU so much for the info.  Sorry for so many questions.. If anyone has suggestions for the soonest way to make my way to Sosua from Santiago airport at 3am please let me know!

Sincerely,
Daniel H

A moto concho will take from Sosua to the beach.  Most of them know enough english to know what you want.  Don't worry about your baggage.  I've seen them carry 4 people plus a baby.  if they can transport 20' bundles of rebar,  washing machines etc,  they can carry you!  Can't help with Santigo, sorry.  The moto maybe 200- 250 pesos.  I don't know the going rate.   Guaguas are so packed that they might tie the bags on the roof or just say no go.  However you get there, have fun & enjoy the people & the country.

From the airport you need a taxi to either Metro Bus or Caribe Tours Bus.   From Santiago either will take you to Sosua. From Sosua a "guagua" might be a van or a car.  YES you can buy 2 seats easily!  Good idea for your bags.  It should not be more then  100RD from Sosua to Cabarete by gua gua. 

Kite Beach - most in the area will know it as Kite Beach.  No worry!  And welcome to the forums!!!

Awesome, thanks so much to both of you :)

You are very welcome.

Sounds like a great adventure.  Good luck and enjoy

Bob K

Update: for what it's worth I thought I'd share my experience.  When I arrived at the airport in Santiago I couldn't find a single taxi driver willing to take me into Santiago for less than USD $20 .. is this normal?  I even walked out to the main road to avoid the airport taxis and $20 was still the best price I could get.  Rather than take the overpriced taxi to a bus station and take a bus to a guagua to a motoconcho, I decided to just get a cab (it was raining and I had two massive bags) and I ended up splitting a taxi with some people all the way to Cabarete for $50 for me (not sure how much they paid).

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the update.  Yes the $20 fare to the city is normal and the cab you took to Cabarete is also normal as the trip is usually$100 so if you split it with someone then $50 is correct.

Hope you had a good vacation

Bob K