New kids on the block

Hi everyone

my husband and I are from Ontario Canada and will be back down in the DR within the next 4 months.  we have always stayed at the all inclusive resorts many times, and now the time is right to spend more than a couple of weeks.  We plan on looking around for a nice furnished rental apartment for at least 3 months, then maybe more if i can stand to be away from my grandkiddies that long.  We have 9 of them, ranging from 5 months to 18 years.  yikes.......all of a sudden, feeling old, actually we really are not that old, just sounds like it to me.  tired of lotsa snow and cold like most, so time to retire.  glad i found this site and hoping for lots of valuable information before we come down.

linda

you are only as old as u feel; and remember, growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional; and last but not least - im old enough to know whats wrong and young enough not to care :)

young in spirit is the key to a life of eternally being happy.

yes, legacy, you are absolutely right.  i posted on dr, but i see you are in kuwait, is that right, or am i just half sleeping so early in the morning now.

legacy wrote:

you are only as old as u feel; and remember, growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional; and last but not least - im old enough to know whats wrong and young enough not to care :)

this is so true

and you be happy to find mny people here , all aroundthe world

originally Egyptian, living in Kuwait yes :)

I moved the topic to the DR forum.

Regards
Armand

Gabicape wrote:
legacy wrote:

this is so true

and you be happy to find mny people here , all aroundthe world

ahhhh okay, i get it.  thanks for the info and for responding, nice to meet you
linda

What part of the DR are you looking to travel to for your three months.

Bob K

Hello,

I thought you would like to know that article 59, of the Dominican Immigration Regulation establishes for retirees that can prove to be economic solvent enough to have available for their survival at least US$1,500 per month can benefit from Dominican Permanent Residency without having to go through the whole process of Provisional Residency First, which saves you money, and a full year. Following the same line of thought, for every relative applying with the main applicant, you must only justify us$250 more per month. As the name implies, Permanent Residency grants indefinite leave to remain in Dominican Republic.
Our office specializes in business and Immigration law.
Cheers and Good Luck,
Dr. Ramon Alburquerque

Bob K wrote:

What part of the DR are you looking to travel to for your three months.

Bob K

hello Bob

was originally looking at the las terrenas, barahona, bavaro areas but looks to be quite expensive.  am i right.  caberete sounds like a place that we would be very interested in as well.  i have read that sosua is very noisy and more of a party crowd, not that we don`t like a good party, but not that much.  would appreciate any info you can give to us. looking to spend no more than 800 us per month all inclusive.  is that possible

thank you

immigrationexpertsdr wrote:

Hello,

I thought you would like to know that article 59, of the Dominican Immigration Regulation establishes for retirees that can prove to be economic solvent enough to have available for their survival at least US$1,500 per month can benefit from Dominican Permanent Residency without having to go through the whole process of Provisional Residency First, which saves you money, and a full year. Following the same line of thought, for every relative applying with the main applicant, you must only justify us$250 more per month. As the name implies, Permanent Residency grants indefinite leave to remain in Dominican Republic.
Our office specializes in business and Immigration law.
Cheers and Good Luck,
Dr. Ramon Alburquerque

thank you so much Dr. for that information, I did not know that at all. 

regards

aappeleer wrote:

Hi wildroots2004
I'm new member .I wish you happy family.

nice to speak with you and i wish you also much happiness to your family.

$800 a month all inclusive will be very hard here on the north coast. 
We live between Sosua and Cabarete and love it. Came here for good 6 years ago and have not looked back for a second.

Bob K

hi bob

i have already seen many places online for even less than 800 dollars a month in the area of caberete and sosua.  by that i am talking rental of a 1 bedroom apartment, which is why i am looking at this area.  is there not such a thing to your knowledge.  if not, what area might you suggest that i look at to keep to this rental amount.

regards

Ok yes a one bedroom apt is doable at $800 a month. I would suggest coming to the area and look around a bit. Not all places will have security, or back up electricity.  However places like Royal Residence, or Hotel Kohabe, in Cabarete or Residence, Hotel Europa in Sosua might be places ot start.

Bob k

Bob K -- Have been reading your posts on this and other topics with much interest. LOTS of good info -- THANKS!

One thing that has caught our eye in doing online scouting (real estate listings) is the very noticeable prevalence of bars on windows/doors. How necessary is that security measure in the PP-Sosua-Cabarette area? Localized or pandemic?

Secondly, how is DR with regard to the US Constitutional equivalent of the Second Amendment? IOW, how difficult/easy is it for expats and eventual permanent residents to buy and keep a firearm for home/self defense (not carry-around)? Having lived in some pretty rough big city environments in the US, I'm a firm believer in self defense and the fairly new adage: "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

Thirdly, should we be considering only gated/guarded communities for our relocation to DR?

Thanks in advance for your advice, Bob K and all others.

Welcome el Tuco,
Here are some answers for you:
1.  Bars on windows if not in a gated or secure community are needed. If in a gated community many Dominicans will put on bars anyway.  We do not have bars on our villa
2. After getting you permanent residency (I belive you need this for two years before applying) you can apply for a gun permint and a carry permit. This can be difficult especially for the carry permit. Getting caught with an illegal gun is big time trouble.
3. Gated communities will off you the best security and most of our expat clients opt for this option.

Hope this helps.

Bob K

Hi wildroots2004, I sent you a pm