Hello...looking to learn about DR life for hopeful move there

New at this...starting life over again and wanting to be adventurous. Thinking about moving to DR as soon as feasible. Need to find a quieter and more peaceful existence that is also affordable. Have brother in Banica but hard to communicate with him hence reaching out here. Appreciate any and all sharing ya'll want to do. Thanks in advance.
Glauriel

Hello and welcome to the forum.  Have you been here in the DR before??

Before making any kind of move you should come down for a month or two and explore the country.  There is lots to offer and some very different areas to see and consider.

Will you be self sufficient or need to work.  Working here can also be a problem and the pay scale is VERY low.

Ask any questions you have and we will be glad to answer

Bob K

I second the welcome.  read everything you can on this forum,  read read read.......... then let us know what your questions are.  We are here to help......

Great advice offered by Bob, come down to see if this is for you!!!!

Thanks guys as we say where I'm from...Would hopefully still have some income coming in but want to be self supporting either way just in case. Don't need much, if you saw what we make it on here by living simply you'd understand. Just want freedom from the stress level here and a simpler life in a warm climate. Can't take the cold anymore. Would like to visit just got passports just not sure "how" to do that...where to go, how to get there. Heard transportation is difficult is this true? How do I locate schools that would cater to an English speaking child? If I come it would also include at least 2 dogs. Does anyone know anything about traveling with pets? Have read a lot online ie: that the DR doesn't quarantine them (something I was glad to know. They are my other children. Am researching now any and all job options I might have. So much to say, so many questions don't want to overwhelm anyone. One more thing, not clear on how easy it is to purchase prop there. And if wanted dual passport too...thanks for all info appreciate it.

Wow a lot of questions. First off before you "pull the plug" it is VERY important that you come and visit for a while. This is not a bed or roses living here but if it "fits" for you it is a very good place to be.  You need to find out first if it is the right place.

Living here is not cheap but if you are careful, use local products and such you can live on about 60% of what you do in the states.

Buying property is pretty easy, BUT don't buy anything until you have lived here for 6 months or more because if you make the mistake of buying it many times is very hard to sell the property.

Depending on where you live transportation can be difficult. There are cheap ways to get around locally (gua-guas (jam packed small vans), publicos (local multiple person taxi)and motos (small motorcycles). Cars are expensive and gas is very expensive (almost $6 a gallon). Transportation between cities can be difficult sometimes  because of needing to take multiple buses, publicos, gua-guas etc.

Getting here is pretty easy with multiple flights to all parts of the country from the US. However it is a large country so if you fly to one place and want to go to another it can be a hassle. Punta Cana is mostly tourists, Santo Domingo is a very large and busy city with locals, some tourists and some expats (mostly working expats), Santiago is a large inland city, and the north coast has multiple towns along the ocean with a large expat community as well as tourists and locals

Bringing a pet (dog or cat) is no problem you just need the proper paperwork and if it is a large dog (wont' fit under your seat and needs to be crated) the airlines will not allow them during the summer months. It is also pretty expensive to bring them on the planes ($100 or more per pet).

Public education her basically sucks and not up to any standards you are used to.  Private education can be very good but expensive especially those that are attended to by expat kids (English speaking). And there are a good number of private schools.

Hope this give you some answers and a starting point from which to base some research.

Bob K

well said Bob!!!!  I will advise the poster to follow Bob's advice. Please come down and check things out for yourself.  The country is small by North American standards, but it is very very diverse. 

Depending on where you want to hang your hat, things are very different. I am in Santo Domingo - yup big city feel, stores, business, restaurants and traffic jams.  Bob is on the north coast - small town feel, beaches, mountains, truly beautiful.  The south coast is flat and drier to the east and beautiful tot he west.  Punta Cana is the east coast and full of expats, big resorts and a more resort feel to it.  North east coast has Samana and Las Terrenas, very different again. Then we have cooler mountain communities and what we call the "campo"  the countryside where it is different again.......

So, you see, you can pick and choose what might be right for you!!!!  And please read the threads and posts to get many of your other questions answered.

Wow what an amazing bit of info there really appreciate it. I have been reading anything I can find online but it didn't say any of what you just shared.  I get some info from the International Living magazine. Very interesting. Mainly though I just read everything I can online. I did missionary work for 8 years mainly in the states but believe me it may as well have been somewhere less well off. Learned a lot about doing without and making ends meet with whatever you have available. I am not a person who desires luxuries, necessities are hoped for of course. I have also lived six years in Hawaii and two years in Puerto Rico. So know that I prefer the tropics to other climates. I don't tolerate the cold very well at all especially as I get older. I love being self sufficient as much as possible, hence prefer somewhere in the country with a milk goat and a garden. That is my simple dream. Re:; the schooling it sounds a little discouraging but guess would have to actually check out the particular school. Hoping to make a trip soon to see the different terrains. Believe me though when I say I am used to making dramatic changes in where I live even on short notice. I love the Hispanic culture, language and to date the people as well. Hoping the DR will be the same. Must run! Thanks!

Thank you...I am excited and nervous about all of this. Just joining this group was a big step for me...I am determined to make the leap and get prop somewhere in the "tropics" and somehow keep coming back to the DR. If I do this I will not be looking back for sure. I am ready for a positive and permanent change. I may not be able to move there as fast as I want but at least can get started with trips and all...Who knows maybe it will all happen sooner than expected. I'm so ready! Ps At this time and point prefer the mountains to city life though...

Hi

I read your profile where you indicated that you prefer a mountain location as long as it's not far from the ocean. Based on this criteria alone, I recommend you focus on the North Coast and Samana peninsula.

In Samana you'll have the best of both worlds: steep hills leading right down to the ocean. All along the North Coast (from Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete all the way to Rio San Juan to the East, you'll find a varied coastline with mountains as a backdrop. Cabrera offers some beautiful mountain properties with an ocean view and beaches nearby.

Having said that, I don't know about the quality of schools, work opportunities or other factors in those places. Darlene has lived on the North Coast and can tell you more about it.

One last piece of advice. If you want a quiet, stress-free life, Santo Domingo is the last place you'll want to consider. Over 3 million people, horribly overcrowded, noisy and polluted city with one of the most chaotic traffic in the world. It's a great place for culture and entertainment, but you didn't mention those as part of your priorities. It's too modern and cosmopolitan for someone who prefers a quiet, rural lifestyle.

I hope this helps; and welcome to our country.

lsavinon great post. I agree she should be looking at the north coast. Lots of mountain areas that are still close to the water.

Bob K

Glauriel  like the plan on coming for various visits. From what you say the north coast will probably serve you the best. Lots of mountain communities that are still near (less than 30 min) form the ocean.

Bob K

Bless you...good advice and info that is what I'm looking for...Someone on the ground being my eyes and ears if you will.  A simple quiet life is all I've ever wanted and have yet to fully attain that. But do to a serious life change end of a nasty relationship want to get back to (my life) and dreams before its too late. Don't need or want much other than a simple quiet life. Not sure how soon can make the permanent shift there but want to at least acquire something that is "home" to make trips to till I can. Am self sufficient as much as possible, generous with helping others so hoping for an opportunity to do that also again, and not to repeat  too many times but so need a quiet life away from the rat race and the intense materialism here. Thanks again

You are welcome. Let us know if you need more info.

Bob K

I can help you with the dog moving question...i moved to SD from florida with a 90 lb lab. Most airlines don't transport dogs and the ones that do put them in cargo unless they're small enough to.take in the cabin. I ended up bringing my dog over on a Christian missionary flight that had an extra seat and my dog was in the cabin with me.  My lab died at 13 there one year later but we brought an adopted stray back to the states with us the same way...no frills plane ride but got the dogs there!  We lived in the DR for three years and have been back in the states for a year and now we are planning our retirement there..we really love the simpler stress free lifestyle there. Try it!

welcome to the forums Nancy........thanks for the information!

Welcome Nancy
Our dog has flown multiple times to the DR with us in the cabin (small dog).  Most of the airlines will still ship lager dogs but very $$$ these days and they will not ship if he temp at the sending or receiving airport is 90 or above (may actually be 88 or above). So no way to ship dogs to the DR in the Summer.

Bob K

WOW!  My dogs are part of my family...funny my family doesn't understand that but oh well.  If I move they will come or I don't go. However not knowing very much about the "cargo" traveling bit get these "scary" thoughts about conditions there. Is it too cold, too hot, too scary for the dogs traveling there? Can they be safely sedated for the travel? Is it safe for them to travel this way? Having 2 sheps they won't fit under the seat. Never heard of this "missionary" flight you mentioned. Can anyone access it? What is it exactly? I don't need or want frills. Grew up in the country where you worked for what you had, then did missionary work where you pretty much begged or worked for what you needed. Haven't changed much. Love simplicity, calm and peacefulness more than things. If can have my family, and dogs and a few sentimental things its all good.

Thank you for posting really appreciate it. Just chomping at the bit to get there...Hoping so hard its really soon. If certain little details would just fall into place I'd be there before Thanksgiving...Would love to just take the plunge and not look back.

Just another thank you to all of you for all you post. You don't know how important even the smallest of details is to those of us who (don't know).  Anything you feel inspired to share is appreciated. You are just adding another brushstroke to the painting your creating for those of us watching and learning from you! Thanks!

Dogs ship frequently without issues. Yes they normally are sedated and you need to see your vet to figure out what is best for them.  ON arrival they may be a bit disoriented but they will settle in just fine.

While I have never shipped a dog, I have many friends who have, all arrived without an issue.

WE used to ship our Siberian Huskies with no problems when we lived in the states. The were always sedated and did well.

Bob K

The dr is a beautiful place i have been here for over 13 years.I live on the north coast in a quiet town called cabrera.It has many beaches, mountains and rivers but it is not built up or full of tourists unlike other places.If you want a relaxed, freindly place this is one of a kind there are expats living here mainly older people or those with families.It is a very laid back place to live

nantucket Welcome to the forum.  Cabrera is a very beautiful place to set down roots.  WE are up the road a bit in the Sosua/Cabarete area.

Bob K

welcome to the forums!!!!  Sounds like you have made a nice life for yourself.

Thanks for those recent posts! MUCH appreciated, hadn't thought about that last area posted. Was looking into Jaracoboa think that's the correct spelling. So see anything you can post is wonderful!

HI

No, the correct spelling is JARABACOA...

It is a beautiful mountain village surrounded by pine trees, rivers and waterfalls, great for adventure sports and ecotourism.

In Jarabacoa you'll find lot of cottages and villas inspired in the architecture of the Swiss alps...wooden A-frame cottages supported on pillars, and there's even a project called Dominican Alps.

In mid winter the temperature sometimes falls to freezing level, but the rest of the year it is nice and cool. Hard to believe you're in a tropical country.

At least one of the forum members lives there with her family. I'm sure she can tell you more about it if you're interested.

Bless you yes...sounds wonderful! Someone did initially contact me about that place but not sure if it was here or somewhere else? Would love to see this place...thanks so much!

When we moved to DR in December 2005 we had 2 dogs (Great Dane about 190lbs and a shepherd cross about 100 lbs) and a cat. We used Air Transat flying directly from Vancouver to Puerto Plata - non stop flight, the cost (they said we got family discount for shipping 3 animals) was $750 for all of them. We shipped the animals 2 weeks before we traveled, our kids picked them up at the airport. The dogs were sedated, the cat wasn't and all did just fine. Unless you can have the dog with you in the cabin I would sedate it, even though they say you shouldn't. It is a scary experience for them because they don't know what is happening, very loud and they are alone, so that makes it easier. Very easy paperwork to get dogs here, but as Bob said, airlines don't ship animals to DR (or any tropical country)during the summer.

Great info, thanks.