SOCIAL MIXER

In one of the discussions in/on the forum, there was a discussion of how hard it is to get to know people in Cairo. I suggested that we have a social mixer for the 'new' expats to meet other Expats who have have lived here a while as well as Egyptians. The place/venue will be somewhere everyone can find.
It will also be a location where alcoholic beverages will be available for those who want to order.

If enough people are interested, the 1st social gathering will be in September or October after the feast/Eid El Fitr

If you are interested in the idea, speak up!!

Hi I am interested as well, but I wonder if it is for expats only ?

It's open to everyone, but the venue will probably be a place where alchoholic beverages can be ordered. If you have no objections to being in the company of those drinking, you are more than welcome to join.

How disappointing!  I'll be out of town until the 24th of September.  If the date happens to change then I'm there for sure but if not, this would still be fantastic for all of the expats to get together, maybe even a monthly or quarterly event.  I'll bet you could get the ACE club in Maadi to work with you on it, though that would restrict it to expats only.

not date set as of yet camping guy!

Interested :)

i am interested but please i need it during week end.
i think it is good idea thanks for it.
i have question; do you have certain place or we will suggest places?

How about we have a full day event, we go sandboarding & then a barbecue , that would act as a good icebreaker plus would b fun ....
What do u think ?

I'm fit so I'm in Kryptonite ;)

i'm definitely interested, and i know alot of newbies at my school will be too.  Really a wonderful idea :D

@ Kryptonite
I think for the first mixer (hope its one of many), I think should be chilled and have an atmosphere that will encourage socializing. Places in Zamalek seem to have that kind of atmosphere.
If this mixer is successful then I will organize the Sandboarding trip & BBQ

@ Amr, I have a few places in mind.

@ Nadia, can you share it with us?
have nice day

love the idea but I wish it was a mixer between both expats and non expats. please make it clear if non expats are allowed or not . if yes I'm in

@ Amr, depending on the numbers of people interested will depend on the locatio.

@Komidi I have edited the topic, I hope that it is clearer now.

I'm in!

Positive idea , I'm interested , no matter what the activities are ! there is always the next mixer ! what matters is the chance to meet other people , make friends and exchange thoughts & opinions
Greta idea, count me in :)

This is a great idea!!! I would love it :) I dont think I'll be around for the first one But I really hope there will be more :) I'll def be there :D

I proposed a meeting between the forum member before, at the beginning they were very excited about this idea, after that they were not interested anymore, so the meeting failed!
Maybe this time, some of them will do it!
Good luck!

Yes I'm interested; count me in :)

Mark

count me IN as well

I live back in the US now, but I hope we have something like this up and running by the time i go back to Egypt. Would love to have a support group of expats ... Great Idea, Less talk more planning! Where , when, how often???? I think Maadi would be perfect, I suggest doing it on a weekend so people are able to join, and i think once a month is perfect? BUT It would cost to rent a hall or whatever we would need for this event. So wouldn't the expats need to pay a little? If there will be food involved, shouldn't everyone thats going be responsible for bringing something?

I'm interested.

Cout me in plz...

I am loving the enthusiasim =)

I don't intend on renting out a place, but reserving several tables. Everyone seems to be scattered over Cairo.
Zamalek is quite central and easy to get to from all areas. It also has THE best outing options and I have 3 in mind.
1- Sequoia, restaurant w/ Sheesha and alcohol.
2- Sangria, opposite Zamalek, also on the Nile.
   It's a restaurant/pub.
3- Roof top of Le Pacha boat, in Zamalek and on the Nile.

Once, I'm in Cairo I will ask each venue how much the minimum/door charge is per person and take it from there.

I'm looking at either the last Thursday in September or 1st Thursday in October at around 8pm.
That gives people time to go home, unwind and then make their way to where over the allocated place will be.

More updates later!

i prefer Squoia
and roof top of le Pacha is good too.

Count me in as well

OK.
To secure success of such suggested gathering meeting,expat club members for first time meeting is prefered.
Acccording to many social clubs familiar rules, strangers coming second phase after recommending or reviewing from members.
If accepted, I am in.
IMIG

I stick this thread on top of the discussions list ;)

Sounds like a great idea :)..Sequoia is a cool place too..i'm in :)

Sounds great to me.  I've heard soooooo many people talk about Sequoia so I'm very curious about it.  Count me in.

I would definitely love to join in!

speaking up!

@IrishAlexandrian

Count me in as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Sequoia stop serving alcohol during Ramadan?

Oh and never mind just saw when you were planning it for :)

Last time I was at Sequoia, the minimum charge per person on the weekend was 100-120 LE, during the week it was 80 LE. You can book for big groups on yallabina, and that is what I would recommend, especially if going on the weekend. It can be quite difficult to get a table at Sequoia!

Count me in as well :) I agree that the first meeting should be to chill out and get to know ppl. If the meeting is successful wel expand it. Great idea btw ;)

Count me in too Nadia.

in

In ...

In