Phonecall hassling - a warning to expat ladies!

OK so most of us know there's a small proportion of the male Egyptian population who can't seem to control themselves when they discover the mobile number of a woman, especially an expat woman.

Someone on this forum called Karim (whom I don't know) got my number from a friend, also on this forum, and has been calling me more than 10 times a day from two numbers, sending me annoying messages and insulting me and my male friends who try to talk to him. Sigh :rolleyes:

My particular issue aside (don't worry I'll sort him out ;) ), just a warning to the ladies on the forum not to give your number out to people you don't trust or know very well. Sorry to the majority of respectful guys here, this will probably frustrate you, but I'm sure you'll understand why we're protective over our personal details when this kind of thing happens :)

And to all those men in Egypt who are decent, respectful and honourable, thank you! :) We ladies should not judge you for the actions of a few idiots :D

hehehehhhh yeah its very common if you have black list programme it will solve the proplem  or if you are vodafone call 888 they will guide you about programme for that

thanks :) Or I could change my number :D anyway, you may laugh, but it's pretty intimidating for me :(

if its importat number for you then download black list programme or something like that if not important then change your sim card with newone it costs nothing as you know

Blacklist service from Vodafone: http://www.vodafone.com.eg/vodafoneport … 8551326086

Good luck! Can't you use a loud whistle?

thanks alot elaine for the open mindness i found this more like an appreciation topic :D  more than its actually a fone hassle and i do apologise for any inconviency hope its all sorted out

Sam, I like to be fair to all sides :D It's easy to complain about these things, forgetting the rest of the people who are innocent :)

Thanks for the link Geely :) Done! 5 different numbers so far... I wonder if he's reading these messages? creepy huh?! Anyway he's not gonna get to me, I kinda pity him, he's so desperate and sad that he has to resort to these tactics. Everyone else should be thankful they're not like that! :P

eltviola you are not alone i faced the same proplem today:D ispite of am male:O realy wierd:D

eltviola, I had a similar experience where I had a moron continuously ringing my wife's number (which was my old number).
I wonder if these guys are not the result of cultural constraints, high unemployment/low wages, and God knows what else.
In anycase, don't panic as I don't think you will be stalked but just a case of someone who thinks of themselves as Romeo and maybe in with a chance of he keeps persisting.

Take care.

Same experience. I've got phone calls from same number. The time the guy phone me, can be 10 – 20 times a day, even during the night at 2 – 3 am, with video calls !! I just ignore it, and switch the phone when I'm going to sleep. My husband as well, got phone call from men and women mostly during the night. There were calls from a woman, I said “wrong number”. She phoned again then I said: “I don't know you. You've got wrong number, please don't call again”. But she did again and again until I switched off the phone.

hey do you know if there is anyway we can complain to STC so that they block these numbers from calling us

imraan007 wrote:

hey do you know if there is anyway we can complain to STC so that they block these numbers from calling us

Hello brother :) .... You are on the Egypt forum so apparently it's difficult for people here to know about STC, Mobily or Zain :)

Elaine am really thankful how understandable you are and how you can differentiate between Egyptian guys...

But if you please I want to change the title to be a warning to everyone...

Although that am an Egyptian guy with a roughly voice :/ guess what that happened with me for few days and at the end of every call he asks me for work !!
It happens also with many Egyptian girls I know, some people have plenty of idle time and they use the advantage of being hidden on the other side to amuse them selves

The thing is I don't want expat ladies to feel that they are in a dangerous zone

Yep it's an endemic problem here... it's mainly women who are affected but yes I know some men who get hassle too, either way it's intimidating, irritating and pointless :( We all seem to have our own ways of dealing with it - sympathy to you all!

Sorry I don't know how to change the topic name, but I think if other expat ladies read the thread they'll know it's not a dangerous thing, just an annoyance. I'm not worried about this guy stalking me, he wouldn't have the courage to face me!! :D

dont change it:Dleave it as warnings for the new expats

Does mobinil have a blacklist service? that would be awesome!

In the past I have known people who have posted the culprit's number on forums, so that all of their online allies can harass him back. You'd be amazed how quickly he will stop calling you when he gets 100+ phone calls from you angry friends ;)

melizabeez wrote:

In the past I have known people who have posted the culprit's number on forums, so that all of their online allies can harass him back. You'd be amazed how quickly he will stop calling you when he gets 100+ phone calls from you angry friends ;)

melizabeez thats brilliant :top:

melizabeez wrote:

Better yet, post it on an adult dating forum as a hot foreign chick looking forward to meet local men ...... LOOOOOOOOL

melizabeez wrote:

Perfect idea

And maybe by this way when anyone of us will try to call him back maybe wiil find his number is already saved in one of our contact list,then you will know this person!

Good luck

Some great ideas here ;) Actually he's called from about 5 different numbers! Managed to block them all so far and phone-call free for 4 days now :D If he calls again though, I'm posting them all on here and anyone feel free to let rip, but I warn you he's not afraid to say very offensive things!! :S

The blacklist service on vodafone can be reached by dialling 5040 but it costs 30 piastres per call and has a small subscription charge, but worth it!

hello everyone..

i read this topic a while ago and soon after that i started to be bothered with calls from some number. the problem is that the person is calling my work phone and i m now on business trip in qatar and answering these calls costs me money. i tried for my male friends to answer the calls but the guy just hangs up when he hears male voice.

you have mentioned that Vodafone has that service for numbers to be blocked - i m with etisalat- any idea if they have anything like this?

thanks for your help!

http://etisalat.com.eg/etisalat/Etisala … filter.htm

u'll have information about it here if ur with etisalat

THANK YOU! :)

you are most welcome :)

magdaw, if you have an Etisalat self-care account (an account at www.etisalat.com.eg), you can activate the Call Filter service and manage the white/gray/black lists online without having to call Internationally while you are overseas.

If you don't have a self care account, you can sign up for one. All you need is to have the passport number listed on file with Etisalat with your #.

i dont have that account because it is a business phone but i will make sure that whoever is responsible for all that stuff in my company will take care of that.

thank you all for help.

then it is better to save this number with a good name, like: idiot or something and don't answer this type of calls when you are abroad.
If you don't know who is calling you when you are abroad and it maybe important, you can sent an sms as reply, telling that you are abroad and asking what do they want from you. An sms is not that expensive.

Geely wrote:

then it is better to save this number with a good name, like: idiot or something and don't answer this type of calls when you are abroad.
If you don't know who is calling you when you are abroad and it maybe important, you can sent an sms as reply, telling that you are abroad and asking what do they want from you. An sms is not that expensive.

While roaming, it is ..... it is actually cheaper to receive the call (one pound/minute) than to send an SMS (around 2-3 pounds/message)

yes you are right, an sms is LE2.30 so if it is a short call than it is better to answer it.