Unfurnished fixer-upper flat downtown. Should I consider it?

I love some of the older buildings downtown; however, I prefer to refurbish and decorate and furnish myself; is this practical?  Is it allowed to upgrade an apartment, and if I do is there any guarantee the price wouldn't be increased because of my improvements? 

Also, how does the cost of labor, painting, minor renovations, new plumbling and related supplies compare to the USA? 

Thanks

:)

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm based on Downtown for precisely the same reasons as you gave for liking it.  I've renovated 2 apartments and a restaurant here and my advice is this : It will break your heart. 

I would never have even considered the apartments here if I hadn't done the restaurant first.  I knew what I was letting myself in for.  Plus it helped that I spoke enough arabic to get by and I have a bilingual egyptian PA who was on standby day and night to help me deal with any problems that came up.

It is very difficult if not impossible to coordinate the painters, electricians, tilers and various different craftsmen that you need to get the job done.  When one fails to turn up it throws the whole process off kilter and leads to delays.  Things are never delivered when they are supposed to be either.

I am looking for an expat woman for marriage

hi, Mark @MLB4861

Its really a tough task to get the job done by the local labor, as i am related to construction industry. you should have a local reliable person on your side to expedite the work.

regards,

My advice: first buy that apartment to be sure it deserves the effort of renovation!
Then, the Egyptians are very hard working, and they will ask for a little price, if you know to be straight from the beginning with them. Insert in your contract penalties in case something goes wrong with the term or with the work.
I could see a block of flats begun and finished in only 3 months. The result was a masterpiece, a 7 levels building that looked like Aladin Palace from fair tales. This was 1 year ago in Alexandria, km 21, in 6 October, a type of local resort.

DUDE!!! Don't Do It!!!
If Cairo isn't to be a perminant residance, then why would you put yourself through hell? Plus labor here isn't dependable!
Plus when they see you, two things will come to their mind;
1- Sucker
2- Dollar signs

There are plenty of furnished apartments for rent!
just do a search on line. You will pay expat rates and if there is any structural damage or if the equipment doesn't work it's the land lords responsibility.
READ THE CONTRACT WELL, DON'T BE AFRAID TO NEGOTIATE AND ADD CONDITIONS OF YOUR OWN.

expatriates.com/classifieds/cai/housingavailable/